IGNORED

Going Pro

Borf
Note: This thread is 4042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there, I am a +1.0 and all I want is to wake up everyday and do something I love (golf).

I am amateur now, and I am going to work as hard as humanly possible this season.

I need my chance to make it to that next level, Im not exactly sure what that opportunity will be. I would appreciate some feedback, advice, comments or will answer any questions you may have.

thanks

Originally Posted by Borf

Hi there, I am a +1.0 and all I want is to wake up everyday and do something I love (golf).

I am amateur now, and I am going to work as hard as humanly possible this season.

I need my chance to make it to that next level, Im not exactly sure what that opportunity will be. I would appreciate some feedback, advice, comments or will answer any questions you may have.

thanks

What kind of feedback or advice are you looking for?  This is a pretty vague opening statement.  All I can say is good luck.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking for advice on how to become a pro. ie. financials, what is the route to take that will give me the highest chance of succeeding long term, what specific things to practice to get better, what are goals or benchmarks I need to hit along the way, etc (dont feel limited by my list)

basically I don't feel like attempting to win my club championship/local tourneys for the next 20-30 years (maybe exaggerating)... I want more

Originally Posted by tuffluck

no offense intended, but is a +1 good enough to be pro?

I wonder this myself a lot, I believe it is not as black and white as you may like to think. I would say no in a yes no situation, but I am so far ahead of most golfers that I feel like I can improve a lot with the right training.

Looking for advice on how to become a pro. ie. financials, what is the route to take that will give me the highest chance of succeeding long term, what specific things to practice to get better, what are goals or benchmarks I need to hit along the way, etc (dont feel limited by my list)

basically I don't feel like attempting to win my club championship/local tourneys for the next 20-30 years (maybe exaggerating)... I want more

Oh.  Yeah, I have no idea.  As far as financials, I really have no idea.

no offense intended, but is a +1 good enough to be pro?

He's a +1 now, but then so were all tour pros at some point too, right?  Nobody picks up a club for the first time and is immediately a +6.  I assume he knows that he's not ready yet ... just that he wants to move forward and keep getting better.

thanks

Are we talking club pro or touring pro?  If the former you're doing just fine. But you need to learn the golf business inside out.  If the latter your odds are about 1000-1 or worse against.  go to the nearest US Open regional qualifying and watch the players there.  Then reflect that almost none of them have the slightest chance of ever making any kind of living playing competitive golf.  And they all want it just as much as you do.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Are we talking club pro or touring pro?  If the former you're doing just fine. But you need to learn the golf business inside out.  If the latter your odds are about 1000-1 or worse against.  go to the nearest US Open regional qualifying and watch the players there.  Then reflect that almost none of them have the slightest chance of ever making any kind of living playing competitive golf.  And they all want it just as much as you do.

Touring pro, I appreciate and acknowledge the odds are against me but whatever bro! I don't buy into other peoples expectations, especially on this one because its completely up to me in the end.

If I were you I would start saving up money and start small. Start playing a lot of local and regional 3 and 4 day events. If your conistantly winning those then consider playing in some of the smaller tour events like a hooters tour event or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by JxQx

If I were you I would start saving up money and start small. Start playing a lot of local and regional 3 and 4 day events. If your constantly winning those then consider playing in some of the smaller tour events like a hooters tour event or something along those lines.

Good advice.

Also if you are truly serious about it you should probably head south in the winters or move there.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Another thing I wanted to add was to think about collegiate golf depending on your age or eligibility. If that is not an option going to a golf school down south to become a pga professional might be a good idea because it would get you into a warm climate (as metioned by cipher) to play all year and allow you to work in the golf industry while trying to persue your tour pro goals.

I wonder this myself a lot, I believe it is not as black and white as you may like to think. I would say no in a yes no situation, but I am so far ahead of most golfers that I feel like I can improve a lot with the right training.

no doubt, you could definitely impress me at a +1.  i just was curious how far in professional tournaments (assuming no improvement) a +1 could go.

no doubt, you could definitely impress me at a +1.  i just was curious how far in professional tournaments (assuming no improvement) a +1 could go.

Typically courses would be rated 73-75 for a tournament, at +1 i would typically shoot 72-74...so to be able to compete I estimate +3 would have to be your handicap minimum.

I think that if you had 20 thousand and got a part time job, you could play a winter season on the various mini-tours in South Florida. The answers to your questions would then become all too evident. You would learn a lot about yourself and your game and yes, a +1 is a good starting point as long as you still have the capacity to improve to the +3/+4 range at a minimum.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Nobody knows how good they can be unless they give it a shot.

I happen to know 4 guys that have borderline pro talent (or better) and they all took different routes, and none of them really made it, except for a top 10 on the Nationwide or two, and the most talented one never even tried.

Two of them played college golf and then mini-tours. One of them went to Q-School and qualified for the Nationwide Tour (and missed the PGA Tour by one stroke) and won the State Amateur. One of them moved to Florida and played some Mini-Tours and finally gave it up...And the most talented one got a job in a factory and never had any desire to do any more than play in our local Saturday games even though some local businessmen offered to sponser him if he wanted to give it a shot. I told him one day after a round where he shot a 61 that I was certainly glad I didn't have his game. He looked a little surprised and asked me why. I just said that if I had his game I wouldn't be able to sleep at night from wondering how good I really could be if I gave it a real shot.

The main thing to do is play as much competitive golf as you can play.

Presumably you have contacted the PGA of Canada to get their advice.  Have you discussed this with your instructor/professional?  You should seek advice from some trusted sources who have experience with the issues you will face.  I have to figure some of the pros and assistant pros at local courses have made an attempt and could give you some things to think about.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Touring pro, I appreciate and acknowledge the odds are against me but whatever bro! I don't buy into other peoples expectations, especially on this one because its completely up to me in the end.

OK, but have a back-up plan.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!