IGNORED

2013 Shell-Houston Open Discussion (Spoilers Possible)

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 4034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings .... The PGA Tour moves on to Houston TX for Shell's Wonderful Houston Open (a little wordplay on the sponsor). Click-on here for »» [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/inside-the-field/2013/03/shell-houston-open.html]a very interesting breakdown of the tournament field[/URL] , showing how each player qualified for this week's event. ALSO .. [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2013/03/26/shell-houston-qualifiers.html]The Four Monday Qualifiers[/URL] Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

i think Rory will be back.  he lit it up in his final round at the Honda.  pretty sure his swing is back on track and ready.  should be good to see him and Tiger go back and forth.  good for the game.

He is +1 currently and just dunked it into the water on a par 5, so he has a 14ft putt for bogey.  He appears to be struggling still.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Rory will be back for sure, he's too talented not to. But it's gonna take some time to get things right with his swing and the new sticks. I wouldn't expect much from him this week or at the masters.

Monday qualifier Steve Wheatcroft at the top of the leaderboard after a second 67. Good for him. Met him a few years ago when he played at our club (a member is a good friend and knew him from Indiana) and he tied the course record of 63, set by Gary Player back in the "70's.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil and Rory are both currently sitting right on the cut line.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Did Lefty change his putting grip yet again? I only got a chance to watch a few minutes. I think he had 4 straight birdies at one point today. That sounds like he's turned around things.

Yep.  Has one of those fat grips like K, J, and Dufner use on the putter he had today.  Doesn't mean he won't have something completely different tomorrow.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

Yep.  Has one of those fat grips like K, J, and Dufner use on the putter he had today.  Doesn't mean he won't have something completely different tomorrow.

Yeah, the announcers on GC were shocked that a "touch" putter like Phil would use a SuperStroke fat grip.  He's really struggling to find a putting method that works for him.

Joe Paradiso

Yeah, the announcers on GC were shocked that a "touch" putter like Phil would use a SuperStroke fat grip.  He's really struggling to find a putting method that works for him.

If "touch" is ramming a four-footing so hard through the break that when you shrink the size of the cup to the circumference of an ant you leave yourself with an even longer putt coming back, then sure! (Or something.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by newtogolf

It is an interesting juxtaposition between the way Phil approaches the game and how Tiger does.  Phil is always looking for that edge through equipment.  We all remember the 2 drivers, no drivers, 64* wedge, and other Philisms in his bag make-up.  Tiger might vary his bag a little bit, but essentially he looks for an edge through changing/improving his swing, and the variety of shot shapes and trajectories he plays.  Neither is necessarily right or wrong, but it is interesting how the two premier players of our time approach the game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!