Jump to content
IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?


Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by phan52

There should have been an 11th Commandment.

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Not a bad idea. As long as all the Christian hating, gay-promoting, suicide-bombing people keep to themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When a microphone is thrust at a victorious player, they invariably thank someone who helped them.  It could be their family, their parents, their swing coach, their God, whatever. In their mind, this

Because those values which most of us prize so highly are not the exclusive property of the Christian sects.  Nor do all self proclaimed Christians adhere to those values.  Throughout much of history

I really don't have any issue with someone thanking their god if they are religious.  IMO, it's a bit presumptuous to think their god has nothing else better to do on their day off than help a pro gol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80 View Post

Well, you got me. I just cannot compete with such a powerful argument.

I was struck dumb by your ludicrous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80 View Post

You use the term bible thumper to be inflamatory, admit it. If you are going to name call and then put up some silly argument like "that's what they call themselves", I guess one can say the same thing about the N word in describing African Americans.

Just admit you hate the right wing and are quite leftist yourself.

There is nothing special about admitting you are gay in this day and age. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, mainstream society accepts gays . There will always be a fringe element that will hate someone. But you lumping the entire right wing into a fringe element is immature and ridiculous.

Yeah right. That's why it is going to take the SCOTUS to eliminate the DOMA (maybe), and it is such a big deal that an 11th state (Delaware) has recognized gay marriage.

I forget, how many states are there? I'm pretty sure there are more than 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by phan52

Yeah right. That's why it is going to take the SCOTUS to eliminate the DOMA (maybe), and it is such a big deal that an 11th state (Delaware) has recognized gay marriage.

I forget, how many states are there? I'm pretty sure there are more than 11.


Well then why not marry children? Whose to say that a 17 year old is so much less advanced than an 18 year old. For that matter, a 21 year old vs an 18 year old. Its all arbitrary.

Homosexual marriage is legal in what states deem in legal, and that's that. Other states have more sense, and therefore continue traditional (shall I say, biological) marriage. Last time I checked, two men cannot make a child.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The Ten Commandments were handed down to Moses, an Israelite and a Jew, long before any prophet had the temerity to foresee the coming of Christ.  So in that pretext, the US was founded on Jewish values, not Christian.  The fact that many of the founding fathers had degrees in divinity was in part due to the fact that many schools of higher learning at the time had ties to some religious sect, with religious studies part of the required curriculum.

There should have been an 11th Commandment.

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

That commandment would certainly have made history a lot less bloody.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Not a bad idea. As long as all the Christian hating, gay-promoting, suicide-bombing people keep to themselves.

Speaking of hate, you appear to be pretty much filled to the brim with it.

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Well then why not marry children? Whose to say that a 17 year old is so much less advanced than an 18 year old. For that matter, a 21 year old vs an 18 year old. Its all arbitrary.

Homosexual marriage is legal in what states deem in legal, and that's that. Other states have more sense, and therefore continue traditional (shall I say, biological) marriage. Last time I checked, two men cannot make a child.

I'm surprised you didn't go with the polygamy and/or beastiality argument, because that's certainly next, right?

And by your argument, two fifty-five year old heterosexuals should not be allowed to get married since they most probably have no intention of procreating, right? Isn't that the reason for "traditional" marriage?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Fourputt

That commandment would certainly have made history a lot less bloody.

Google George Carlin and the ten commandments. Classic takedown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter to me what someone does after they win.  I'm excited to see a boy who went to high school where my children will go, win on the PGA Tour.  It has made my children more excited about golf.  They went from 30% excited to about 31%.  Baby steps.

Go Clovis East Timberwolves!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Cheners

The Wisguy has nailed it. Ernst's public thanking of his Lord and Saviour cannot be defended on the basis that it his personal belief, and his critics can't be accused of poking their noses into matters that are none of their business. By ignoring Feherty's question, and instead publicising his (private ...)  beliefs, he clearly hoped to exploit the large audience and drag in more Godbotherers. Otherwise, he would give his thanks privately.

And let's not lose sight of the implication of any victor thanking his or her Lord and Saviour ie. that the deity preferred his / her interests to those of the vanquished. As deluded as it is arrogant!

Next time a victor does a Streelman or an Ernst, Feherty should reply "And what of [insert name of 2nd place getter] - has God got it in for him?"

Many Christians believe in expressing thanks for every good thing they experience in life - food, health, graduating, getting married, promoted on the job, etc... Some even are thankful in difficult situations, painful times, that they are not going through them alone. They believe that God is a personal being who is connected with each and every one of those who rely on him in the good times and the bad. The expression of gratitude is meant to be an expression of humility - the opposite of arrogance.

Many non-Christians hear a statement like this golfer made (and other sports and music celebrities at awards shows) and assume that what the person means is that God favored him above the others and that's the reason he won or succeeded. Shouldn't we be more tolerant of people with different beliefs than just jumping on them if they express beliefs that are just like ours? Isn't that tolerance?

I don't care one way or another, but I think it is a simple matter of preference.  Some people think they shouldn't have to listen to someone express anything religious. At the same time, I don't know if they take issue with others who use "freedom of speech" to express non-religious ideas or notions.

I wish people weren't whiners who complained about stuff they didn't like and act like the world owes them a stress-free existence. But, then again, I thank Zeus that we don't live in a world like that :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Old1964

Many Christians believe in expressing thanks for every good thing they experience in life - food, health, graduating, getting married, promoted on the job, etc... Some even are thankful in difficult situations, painful times, that they are not going through them alone. They believe that God is a personal being who is connected with each and every one of those who rely on him in the good times and the bad. The expression of gratitude is meant to be an expression of humility - the opposite of arrogance.


If they feel that God is a personal being, then why not thank him in private instead of waiting until the cameras are rolling?  That is just about the most impersonal forum I can think of.  I doubt that He is watching the broadcast, so He should get the message just as clearly if the player waits until he has some privacy, or at least until he's with friends who understand his feelings and intentions.  I isn't his place to thrust his beliefs into my living room without my permission and against my wishes.
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If they feel that God is a personal being, then why not thank him in private instead of waiting until the cameras are rolling?  That is just about the most impersonal forum I can think of.  I doubt that He is watching the broadcast, so He should get the message just as clearly if the player waits until he has some privacy, or at least until he's with friends who understand his feelings and intentions.  I isn't his place to thrust his beliefs into my living room without my permission and against my wishes.

Yep! Pretty sure that goes back to my comment about whiners.

Why do you think it is anyone's job to be the person you want them to be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Yukari

There you go again making something that isn't there.  No where in my rebuttal did I say the current society's values are better or worse than yesteryears.

You even state LESS than 50% "held seminary or Bible school degrees."  You then make a quantum leap of conclusion that ergo, this country was founded on Christian values.  Your conclusion is not based on logic.

Just because some of the founding father's were Christians does not make Christian value the basis of this nation.  Even if all of them were Christians, you cannot make that conclusion.  Your conclusion is based on the assumption that the founding fathers founded this nation BECAUSE they were Christian.  This is not true.  They founded this nation because they were persecuted based on religion.  In order to be free to practice ANY religion, they made it clear that there is separation of church and state.

Some of the values you call "Christian values" can be found in Natural law (see Plato and Aristotle, etc.) as well as any other religions as other have said above.

What is missing in your argument is the nexus between the reason for establishment of this nation and the founding fathers.

1)  You keep bringing this up (the bolded part).  That was not the basis of my argument.  It was just included in all of the copied text.  I hold myself to be a Christian, and I certainly do not have a seminary or Bible degree.  I don't feel that line (the bolded part) proves a point either way.  I was merely trying to show that the founding fathers had Christian beliefs/values.  From my own personal experience, it is nearly impossible (if not impossible) to push aside or shun my beliefs/values at any point in my life.  They are always with me, whether I am at home or work.  Not saying I try to push them on people at work, or elsewhere.  (only golf forums , jk I just enjoy debate)

2) As far as your statement about me putting words in your mouth (about the state of todays society), I do apologize.  I assumed that would be your answer based on the tone of your conversation.  Please do answer these two questions though.

1)  Do you believe there are less people following the Christian faith today than 50,100, 200 years ago?

2)  Is this a good thing?

Please answer yes or no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There should have been an 11th Commandment. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself .

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Well then why not marry children? Whose to say that a 17 year old is so much less advanced than an 18 year old. For that matter, a 21 year old vs an 18 year old. Its all arbitrary.

Homosexual marriage is legal in what states deem in legal, and that's that. Other states have more sense, and therefore continue traditional (shall I say, biological) marriage. Last time I checked, two men cannot make a child.

No, but they can adopt one who was abandoned by a man and a women.  And that child can grow up in a loving family to be anything including straight and religious.

Ernst has the right to say anything he wants.  I support this right fully. It is the phrase, "I would like to thank my personal savior Jesus Christ" that seems to put people off.  Seems a bit self centered.

As for the Founding Fathers, they were rebelling against another country that was officially a Christian country.  This is why they chose to have freedom of religion documented so clearly in the Constitution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

I'm not particularly religious (more spiritual, closer to Buddhism if anything), but again this all seems like a case where people go out of their way to be upset about something.

To what end?

Why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Old1964

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If they feel that God is a personal being, then why not thank him in private instead of waiting until the cameras are rolling?  That is just about the most impersonal forum I can think of.  I doubt that He is watching the broadcast, so He should get the message just as clearly if the player waits until he has some privacy, or at least until he's with friends who understand his feelings and intentions.  I isn't his place to thrust his beliefs into my living room without my permission and against my wishes.

Yep! Pretty sure that goes back to my comment about whiners.

Why do you think it is anyone's job to be the person you want them to be?

He can be any person he want to be, just not in my face.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

There should have been an 11th Commandment.

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from religion.

Of course it does.  Freedom of religion means the right to be free of any religion, just as it means the right to worship as you please as long as you don't push your beliefs (or lack thereof) on anyone else.  Why would you think that it means anything else?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

Well then why not marry children? Whose to say that a 17 year old is so much less advanced than an 18 year old. For that matter, a 21 year old vs an 18 year old. Its all arbitrary.

Homosexual marriage is legal in what states deem in legal, and that's that. Other states have more sense, and therefore continue traditional (shall I say, biological) marriage. Last time I checked, two men cannot make a child.


Does it just annoy you? That your 'nation founded on Christian values' is finally departing such nonsense and allowing two people in love to get married?

No, two men can not make a child, but can't two gay men adopt a child? Maybe one that was given up for adoption by a non gay woman and her husband who didn't want the kid? Who were married 'traditionally'?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your questions are irrelevant to your premise which is this country was founded on Christian values. If you read all my rebuttals carefully, that is the only issue I addressed. You are completely ignoring the issue you yourself brought up.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Multiple reasons. There are people who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons. Should those unable to be vaccinated be put at risk involuntarily? The vaccine is not approved for children less than 12 years old. Should kids be put at risk involuntarily? The vaccine is not 100% effective. Should those who get vaccinated but do not develop immunity be put at risk involuntarily?
    • Day 38 (5/12/21) - Did the "Justin Rose Drill" without a ball, about 10-reps each with Driver, 7i and 9w. Then did the "Forehead on Wall" drill for several reps to work on steady head. 
    • It is when a large number of people continue to repeat nonsense that can endanger the lives of others.  Opinions are about tastes and preferences, not clearly provable facts. If someone said that they wouldn't waste their time protecting their eyes when looking at an eclipse, I'd say they were stupid but entitled to do it. If, on the other hand, they said that in their opinion, eye protection was unnecessary when looking at an eclipse, I would absolutely not respect that "opinion". Because it isn't actually an opinion. It's a ridiculously ignorant statement. The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse. .......if ‘entitled to an opinion’ means ‘entitled to have your views treated as serious candidates for the truth’ then it’s pretty clearly false. And this too is a distinction that tends to get blurred. Patrick Stokes
    • 77 yesterday and a 75 today. I could have shot a 72 today if one of my partners didn't say, "Don't hit it left", right before my swing. Ended up putting it into the water for a double bogey. I almost showed him where he should stick a club!
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Adlamb
      Adlamb
      (46 years old)
    2. Baba
      Baba
      (45 years old)
    3. Healup
      Healup
      (49 years old)
    4. SophieWaggner83
      SophieWaggner83
      (38 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...