IGNORED

Nominate a Stupid Monkey

Note: This thread is 922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congrats @Shindig ! I have been following your swing thread.

Thanks. If I had known people were following it, I'd update more often. I'll post the next video I send to evolvr. I really should do that more regularly anyway, since it works like a diary. [quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/67572/nominate-a-stupid-monkey/18#post_1151867"]Kudos @Shindig I actually thought you already had one. I'm usually on my phone so I rarely see people's badges.[/quote] Thanks. It turns out I am a stupid monkey, and now am practicing like one too :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I nominate myself because I do whatever my Evolvr instructor tells me to do without questioning him. :-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator
On May 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM, RFKFREAK said:

I nominate myself because I do whatever my Evolvr instructor tells me to do without questioning him. :-)

Can you show us some examples in your Member Swing thread?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Can you show us some examples in your Member Swing thread?

I guess I can upload the last video I made of me performing a drill that my Evolvr instructor said I should work on. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 1 month later...

Feeling somewhat awkward about it, I'd like to nominate myself for the Stupid Monkey award. It's my understanding that this for folks who are dedicated to practice and improving their game. Humbly, I think I qualify:

As a husband and father of two young boys, my personal free time, like many here, is limited. Every morning I get up between 3-3:30am to go to the gym, do Bible study, and spend 15-20mins on doing something golf related before getting the boys up at 6:13a and getting themready for school. Generally my golf time is spent reading about course management, instructional tips, or working on my putting stroke on my back patio rug.

About twice a week, I'm able to get out to a local course over my lunch breaks and chip/putt for 20-30mins as I try to improve on my AimPoint Express method of green reading, trying to turn three strokes into two. Then, one to two Wednesdays per month, I will try to get out to the driving range to work on my ball flight (slight draw) which shows small, but continued progress. Over the past year my handicap has slowly improved from a 16 to a 13.3 currently and I hope to see it fall to 11 in the next year. I'm hoping my recent purchase of LSW will help keep that ball rolling.

While none of this is impressive in and of itself, I do this under same restrictions and lack of free time many of us experience of having a young family.  If I'm passed over for this award at this time, I hope after I earn the 5min award next month I will be reconsidered. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

@woodzie264  That is impressive and congrats on going from a 16 to a 13.3.  A stupid monkey is bit more narrowly defined.  It involves turning off the analytical "why" thoughts and just working on a single simple thing or as Erik putts it, focusing on the "what".  There is a better and more complete explanation here:

• Administrator
5 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

@woodzie264  That is impressive and congrats on going from a 16 to a 13.3.  A stupid monkey is bit more narrowly defined.  It involves turning off the analytical "why" thoughts and just working on a single simple thing or as Erik putts it, focusing on the "what".  There is a better and more complete explanation here:

Right.

Just working on your game isn't really the idea… it's "how" you go about working on your game.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to nominate @Jeremie Boop for a Stupid Monkey award.

I don't have a specific to link to.  I have been following his swing thread lately and think he has been doing a good job.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

I don't have a specific to link to.  I have been following his swing thread lately and think he has been doing a good job.

Possibly.

What do you think, @Jeremie Boop?

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Possibly.

What do you think, @Jeremie Boop?

I hope that I'm doing a good job of being a stupid monkey, but I may have wavered a few times a little.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I hope that I'm doing a good job of being a stupid monkey, but I may have wavered a few times a little.

Then do this… remind me in a week, and give another assessment then.

It's a high honor, this Stupid Monkey business… ;-)

(edited)
On July 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM, 14ledo81 said:

I know this is "under review" so to speak, but I would echo this. I went back Jeremie's swing thread; his receptivity to direction and subsequent swing changes has demonstrated his dedication, and his obedience has born out marked improvement. Nice job, Jeremie!

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I know this is "under review" so to speak, but I would echo this. I went back Jeremie's swing thread; his receptivity to direction and subsequent swing changes has demonstrated his dedication, and his obedience has born out marked improvement. Nice job, Jeremie!

I appreciate the vote of confidence, I struggle very hard to not let myself get distracted with other things in my swing. As such I know I've had minor slip ups recently. If I can get myself to go a week or two without letting my focus waiver I will feel like I earned the badge.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, I struggle very hard to not let myself get distracted with other things in my swing. As such I know I've had minor slip ups recently. If I can get myself to go a week or two without letting my focus waiver I will feel like I earned the badge.

Let me know…

On July 23, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Lol! Straighten up and fly right. Good luck. 

• 3 months later...

I'm about to unashamedly make my 2nd pitch out of possibly 100 :content:

First, I understand the requirements/premise of how this award is earned, and that I likely do not meet them as of yet.

Over this past 3 months, after reading LSW and watching 5SK videos, I have worked very specifically on the 5SK's as presented and have show great improvements in my ball striking as evident on my spreadsheet GIR numbers below. Using the AimPoint Express method since mid year, my Putting Averages and 3-putts have improved as well (although I had a hiccup two weeks ago). With attention to the techniques laid out by AimPoint Express and the 5SK's, my HI has continued to fall further demonstrating my continued work to address the major swing elements with unquestioning perseverance, which I believe fits/meets the principles of this award. 

While I firmly believe for the reasons above that I do meet the requirements of a Stupid Monkey, I also concede that this is typically based on witnessed, direct observation of said swing changes in response to recommendations made by TST and it's members.

Over the past month, my need to have a shoulder resurfacing has become painfully obvious as it has become increasing painful to make a lot of swings in repetition (it's hard to hit balls repeatedly in succession on the range or to take a lot of repetitive swings). This has been something I've been delaying for a year or so, but can't avoid it any longer. As a result, I don't think I can tolerate the necessary swing volume (at this time) to video my swing and really, genuinely ingrain a change. Furthermore, after my operation, my ROM should be markedly better, making some valid recommendations made now a non-issue then.

So do with this what you will, if I am declined, I completely understand. As a future Monkey hopeful, I appreciate how selective this award is. Regardless of the mods' decision  at this time, when I am able to start hitting full shots again (likely March/April of '17 pending a Jan/Feb surgical date), I will be signing up for a couple of months of Evolvr. For the reasons already mentioned, I feel like it would be of less value to get things evaluated preoperatively. 

Thank you for you consideration!

image.jpg

-Jonny

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I'm about to unashamedly make my 2nd pitch out of possibly 100 :content:

First, I understand the requirements/premise of how this award is earned, and that I likely do not meet them as of yet.

Over this past 3 months, after reading LSW and watching 5SK videos, I have worked very specifically on the 5SK's as presented and have show great improvements in my ball striking as evident on my spreadsheet GIR numbers below. Using the AimPoint Express method since mid year, my Putting Averages and 3-putts have improved as well (although I had a hiccup two weeks ago). With attention to the techniques laid out by AimPoint Express and the 5SK's, my HI has continued to fall further demonstrating my continued work to address the major swing elements with unquestioning perseverance, which I believe fits/meets the principles of this award. 

While I firmly believe for the reasons above that I do meet the requirements of a Stupid Monkey, I also concede that this is typically based on witnessed, direct observation of said swing changes in response to recommendations made by TST and it's members.

Over the past month, my need to have a shoulder resurfacing has become painfully obvious as it has become increasing painful to make a lot of swings in repetition (it's hard to hit balls repeatedly in succession on the range or to take a lot of repetitive swings). This has been something I've been delaying for a year or so, but can't avoid it any longer. As a result, I don't think I can tolerate the necessary swing volume (at this time) to video my swing and really, genuinely ingrain a change. Furthermore, after my operation, my ROM should be markedly better, making some valid recommendations made now a non-issue then.

So do with this what you will, if I am declined, I completely understand. As a future Monkey hopeful, I appreciate how selective this award is. Regardless of the mods' decision  at this time, when I am able to start hitting full shots again (likely March/April of '17 pending a Jan/Feb surgical date), I will be signing up for a couple of months of Evolvr. For the reasons already mentioned, I feel like it would be of less value to get things evaluated preoperatively. 

Thank you for you consideration!

image.jpg

With all due respect, and I realize this will likely come off as dickish, but I don't think you really understand what Stupid Monkey means. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

1 minute ago, Ernest Jones said:

With all due respect, and I realize this will likely come off as dickish, but I don't think you really understand what Stupid Monkey means. 

You're not coming off dickish. I think I do understand - I think I mentioned that in my explanation. 

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

...First, I understand the requirements/premise of how this award is earned, and that I likely do not meet them as of yet.

So do with this what you will, if I am declined, I completely understand....

My understanding is that being given corrective guidance on swing imperfections, the Stupid Monkey is to work on those things diligently to achieve the correct technique and to do so with thoughtless obedience. Recognizing my swing imperfections/flaws when set in opposition to the 5SK's, I have taken those recommendations and worked to achieve them.

I do realize the preferred method is through direct observation (which I am will get to next Spring), but in principle I think I've met the requirement, IMHO. However, as stated in my "application," I get that without having posted serial videos, it would not confirmable to you as Mods.

I've read the description of a Stupid Monkey and think I understand as written above. If I'm wrong, let me know. I won't think you're being a dick.

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!