IGNORED

Green Side Spin

cipher
Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does green side spin make a noticeable difference from tour to entry level balls?

• Yes
    • No

I recently went to the range and hit some chips and pitch shots on 3 types of balls and 3 different wedges. I have been working on my chipping and pitching technique a lot to increase spin when I am close in. The balls I used were Titleist Pro V1x's (what I play), Titleist NXT Tour (non S), and Callaway HX Diablo. The Wedges were the Sand Wedge that came with my callaway (CW) x18's (used), a cleveland (CV) 588 forged 56 (used), and a Brand New Cleveland (CV) 588 RTX CB 56. Here is what I found

For the CW SW, all the balls pretty much looked and acted the same but with the pro v1x's having the best feeling. This is not a purpose made wedge and I know from lots of rounds before using a dedicated wedge that this is what I expect.

Both CV wedges performed much better with chips and pitches. All three balls checked up nicely with the better wedges with some roll out. I didn't notice any difference with my chips. My pitching is where the difference started to show between the golf ball. The PROV's checked up just a bit more and I had to hit them a little farther to get them to the same place. They also feel nicer when hit. It wasn't a huge difference but I did notice it.

IMHO unless you are using very cheap long distance, low spin balls most won't be able to tell much of a difference. From the fairway and on 150 I hardly notice any at all though that is just an observation from the past. I think a lot has to do with technique and using a wedge that isn't an el cheapo.

disclaimer* I am by no means even close to pro level and not even a scratch golfer. This is just my opinion and some observations I had. I am an average golfer with an average handicap. I practice my chipping a lot because my accuracy from distance still needs help and I miss the green more times than I would like.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It's worth a lot ... $48 vs. $20 per dozen.  I may have to give them a shot ... if they worked out, my wallet will thank you!!!

I will play it some more this week and let you know what I think if the weather holds up here.  It felt really nice on the two drives I hit.  I usually hit my PW 115-120 and I had a pin at exactly 115 on the last hole and blew it over the green.  That is the only thing that puzzled me a bit.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just bought 5 dozen for 40$, grade A recycled.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by cipher

I will play it some more this week and let you know what I think if the weather holds up here.  It felt really nice on the two drives I hit.  I usually hit my PW 115-120 and I had a pin at exactly 115 on the last hole and blew it over the green.  That is the only thing that puzzled me a bit.

Cool ... very interested to hear how they turn out.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Just bought 5 dozen for 40$, grade A recycled.

Sounds like those won't last you too long if you hit them with your driver! ;)  Kudos for getting that thread off on the correct foot (cut the trollers legs out from under him before he gets fed) ;)

Sounds like those won't last you too long if you hit them with your driver! ;)  Kudos for getting that thread off on the correct foot (cut the trollers legs out from under him before he gets fed) ;)

Internet aikido.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have always liked the DT Solo just fine but have never done a side by side spin comparison to the Pro V1s that I usually play with, so I have no vote.

I go most rounds without any need to hit a high spin shot anyway. My normal plan on short game shots is to use only as much spin as necessary for the shot at hand and to use only as much loft as necessary for the shot at hand, and if I have a choice I choose stopping it with loft first and spin as the last resort.

Learned my lesson on that in the first tournament I ever played in when I messed up a spinning chip with a lob wedge when I could have rolled it up to the hole with any other club in my bag a higher percentage of the time (and especially under pressure).

Of course shots do come up where it takes every bit of spin and/or loft to have a chance to get it near the pin, but not very often. If that's the best option I do it. If not I keep it simple.

Speaking of spin: It's always funny to me to hear the crowd's reaction to spin. They will cheer more for a shot that lands 10 feet past the hole and spins back to 10 feet in front of the hole than a ball that lands a foot from the pin and stays there.

One time I was watching Playing Lessons From the Pros and I can't remember the player (thinking Luke Donald for some reason) but they asked him about spinning the ball back. He said he would much prefer the ball to stay where it landed because he could control his distance in the air a lot better than trying to judge how much a ball was going to spin back.

• Upvote 1

When it comes to short pitches, probably not too much difference in spin on high-spin (ProV1) and mid-spin (DT Solo). But, the mid-spins stop better than the distance balls, which tend to run out to the back fringe.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My 2 cents on playing the DT SoLo this morning.  I still did not notice any difference in green side play other than a possible placebo type effect with confidence in accelerating through shots that a urethane ball may give.  On partial wedge shots and full shots I did notice that it "might" roll out a foot or two more with my swing.  It actually feels much softer than the ProV1x on all shots including the putter which I like.  I like how it feels off the driver and it is just as long and gives you a ton of confidence because you feel like it is impossible to over curve it.  I understand that difference in dispersion off the driver face for most balls is not much different.  That being said the DT SoLo when hitting it with the driver still feels great and it just seems like you can just swing smooth and it will fly and fly straight.  The same with the iron shots.  You never feel like you want to over swing because the ball feels like it just springs off the face.  When you hit a lofted iron the ball goes high and lands very soft.  Essentially I preferred the feel of the DT Solo over the ProV1x on pretty much all shots. I can't think of any reason I the DT SoLo would play worse on the courses I play.  I probably will start using this ball a lot for casual rounds with friends and family, and rounds for business or charity purposes.   For now I will keep playing a urethane ball just for the confidence I feel around the green and on 20-30y pitch shots.   If I could get over the fear with the driver I would probably actually prefer the standard Prov1 over the other two as it has that softer feel that I like.  Anyone want to buy some ProV1x balls? Haha!

Nate

I play the Callaway Hex black Tour Xouts for $25 a dozen (less when they are on sale). I'll play Prov1 Xouts or logos for $30 a dozen.

There is no reason to spend $20/dozen on DT rocks imo

There is a difference, I can tell and it's enough to make me spend a few buck more to have the better ball.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Since the Poll says "Do you notice any difference", I was one of the two that voted No . I said no because I do not play any shots that require spin. My approach shots always consist of extremely high trajectory with a soft landing and the ball is typically at rest 3-6" behind the ball mark - regardless of using my typical NXT Tour or my back-up DT SoLo. I stopped buying Pro V1s when I realized I wasn't utilizing the $45-50 properly. None of my green-side shots require the ball to hop, skip n' stop.

I personally prefer the 6-12" of rollout that my typical chip produces because it is less risky for me and far more easy to gauge feel and consistency.

However, the Pro V does obviously promote more spin capability for players who actually put spin on the ball . That is not up for debate.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Since the Poll says "Do you notice any difference", I was one of the two that voted No. I said no because I do not play any shots that require spin. My approach shots always consist of extremely high trajectory with a soft landing and the ball is typically at rest 3-6" behind the ball mark - regardless of using my typical NXT Tour or my back-up DT SoLo. I stopped buying Pro V1s when I realized I wasn't utilizing the $45-50 properly. None of my green-side shots require the ball to hop, skip n' stop.

I personally prefer the 6-12" of rollout that my typical chip produces because it is less risky for me and far more easy to gauge feel and consistency.

However, the Pro V does obviously promote more spin capability for players who actually put spin on the ball. That is not up for debate.

I was going to post exactly this. I hit the ball high and the only time it rolls after popping out of the pitch mark is if there is extreme slope where it lands and it trickles away. Been playing the NXT Tour, V1x X-outs and Velocity, all about the same price.

Dave :-)

Do I notice a difference?

Yes.

I hit a 40 yrd pitch with a Lethal - mid trajectory.

Could not believe it - stopped in its tracks.

I was counting on hit and roll another yard.

Missed the putt.

I think that is the difference between the $40-46 Tour Balls (Lethal, ProV, Z Star) and the $30-35 Tour Balls (Hex Chrome, RBZ Urethane)

____

When you don't have a urethane cover, I see a difference on full pitches - drop and almost stop, versus drop and roll. And no contest on short pitches - urethane v. non-urethane. Haven't tried the Srixon with the sandpaper cover....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Do I notice a difference?

Yes.

I hit a 40 yrd pitch with a Lethal - mid trajectory.

Could not believe it - stopped in its tracks.

I was counting on hit and roll another yard.

Missed the putt.

I think that is the difference between the $40-46 Tour Balls (Lethal, ProV, Z Star) and the $30-35 Tour Balls (Hex Chrome, RBZ Urethane)

____

When you don't have a urethane cover, I see a difference on full pitches - drop and almost stop, versus drop and roll. And no contest on short pitches - urethane v. non-urethane. Haven't tried the Srixon with the sandpaper cover....

I agree on a 40y shot, but what I am talking about is shots closer to the green.  These are shots that are around and or just off the green.  That is what I would consider green side I guess.  I hit little pitch shots with these and really do not notice much of a difference.   I think most people who said they do notice it here are probably fooling themselves about it.

Nate

Originally Posted by cipher

I agree on a 40y shot, but what I am talking about is shots closer to the green.  These are shots that are around and or just off the green.  That is what I would consider green side I guess.  I hit little pitch shots with these and really do not notice much of a difference.   I think most people who said they do notice it here are probably fooling themselves about it.

I will refresh my memory later this week.

I think some non urethane balls are in my son's bag ... a Srixon Angry Bird.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I will refresh my memory later this week.

I think some non urethane balls are in my son's bag ... a Srixon Angry Bird.

Sounds like a plan.  I am interested to see your take on it.

Nate

Originally Posted by TJBam

Guys please quit talking about how awesome the DT SoLo is before Titleist catches wind and raises the price

Haha!

One thing that I always hated about the DT SoLo is the cartoonish "Titleist" print on it. I wish it was more defined and not "bold", if that makes sense. I'm OCD though and if you knew me, you would expect such an insane nitpick.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!