IGNORED

2013 AT&T National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md., hosts the AT&T; National for the fifth time in its seven-year history. It was benched in 2010 and 2011 (in favor of Aronimink Golf Club near Philadelphia) when the USGA took over for the 2011 U.S. Open. When it returned last year, Congressional wasn't the kinder, gentler version that greeted the invitees the first three times around.

Power Rankings: AT&T; National
Rank Player Comment
Jason DAY He's tailored his game to fit Congressional. After a solo second at the 2011 U.S. Open, he posted a T8 at last year's AT&T; National, ranking second in greens hit for the week. Tied for second in his last start at Merion two weeks ago.
Brandt SNEDEKER Rested following a T17 at Merion. Six top 10s on the season. Sits 16th in fairways hit, 17th in GIR, 22nd in strokes gained-putting, 11th in adjusted scoring and T1 in par-4 scoring. Top 10s at AT&T; National in 2007 and 2009.
Hunter MAHAN Hasn't flashed consistency that he wants, but results suggest he's close. Placed T4 at Merion; 11 top 25s this season. Superb record at Congressional: T8 (2007), T12 (2008), second (2009), T8 (2012). Held 36-hole lead here last year.
Adam SCOTT He's 3-for-3 with two top 20s since winning the Masters. Finished in third place at Congressional last year. Ranked inside top 15 in fairways and greens hit; seventh in strokes gained-putting. Currently fourth in adjusted scoring.
Billy HORSCHEL Most recent of PGA TOUR-leading seven top 10s was a T4 at the U.S. Open. Ranks eighth in total driving, 25th in greens in regulation, 17th in strokes gained-putting, 10th in adjusted scoring and T4 in par-4 scoring.
Graham DeLAET Matched his career-best finish on the PGA TOUR with a solo third at the Travelers. Ranked T13 in fairways hit, led the field in GIR and ranked T2 in both proximity and par-4 scoring. Four straight top 25s; 11 on the season.
Bill HAAS Only cut made in his last four starts was a T4 at the Memorial. It's one of six top 10s (and nine top 25s) this season. Currently 21st in greens in regulation, 23rd in scrambling, 48th in adjusted scoring and third in par-4 scoring.
Ryan PALMER Prior to missing the cut at Merion, he went 7-for-7 with four top 15s, two of which went for top fives. Shared 15th place at last year's AT&T; National, ranking inside the top 10 in distance, proximity, scrambling and par-4 scoring.
Rickie FOWLER In his only previous appearance at Congressional, he missed the cut at the 2011 U.S. Open, but he's played well of late. Chased a T10 at Merion with a T13 at the Travelers, closing with a 6-under 64. Sits 25th in the all-around.
John HUH Tied for 17th in his debut at Congressional last year. Ranked inside the top 10 in fairways hit, greens in regulation and proximity. Currently 15th on TOUR in accuracy and T72 in GIR. Three top 20s in his last five starts.
Martin LAIRD Polished off a T21 at Merion with a 2-under 68, third-lowest in the finale. Also won the Valero Texas Open and placed T5 at THE PLAYERS in the last two months. Tied for 11th at last year's AT&T; National. Ranks T17 in total driving.
Scott STALLINGS One of the hottest in the game over the past month with a pair of T4s and a T2 (FedEx St. Jude Classic). His game tee-to-green has remained steady during the spurt, but he's risen 46 spots in strokes gained-putting to 52nd.
Bo VAN PELT Took runner-up honors here last year. Co-led the field in total driving, ranked T8 in greens hit, sixth in proximity to the hole and first in par-4 scoring. Held outright 18-hole lead after a 67. He's 13-for-16 this season with six top 25s.
Kevin CHAPPELL Extended his knack for performing well on difficult tracks with a solo second at Muirfield Village four weeks ago. Shared third place at the 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional. One of the TOUR's most accurate from 75-125 yards.
Pat PEREZ Hasn't played since sharing eighth place at Memorial where he ranked T5 in greens hit. Overall, he's 23rd on TOUR in GIR, 42nd in adjusted scoring and T2 in par-3 scoring. Record at Congressional includes a T3 in 2007 and a T12 in 2008.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really like Fowler and Day in this. Both player's match up well at Congressional. Both had good Open showings and playing good golf recently. Due to the Irish Open and Rose and Tiger's WDs, the field is quite shallow. I dont like the way Brandt has played this year. Haas isnt what he was a few years ago. I just see Day an Fowler rising to the top.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Went with Jason Day, Bill Haas, Billy Horschel, and Brendon de Jonge.

I've become a big Billy Horschel fan this year. The kid just goes out and plays solid golf with complete confidence.

Is there any significance to the fact that Tiger Woods now has a 57 percent attendance rate to his own tournament?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Is there any significance to the fact that Tiger Woods now has a 57 percent attendance rate to his own tournament?

No… why? Injured three times, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Couldn't care less. I'd rather he withdraw if he's hurt than try and play for some arbitrary attendance statistic.

Originally Posted by atb5079

Really like Fowler and Day in this. Both player's match up well at Congressional. Both had good Open showings and playing good golf recently. Due to the Irish Open and Rose and Tiger's WDs, the field is quite shallow. I dont like the way Brandt has played this year. Haas isnt what he was a few years ago. I just see Day an Fowler rising to the top.

Those were the two I picked. Specifically Day.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Saw a quick piece on Golf.com stating Titleist has their prototype 714s in play this weekend. Hope someone grabs a couple snapshots of them.

Really? OMG I want to see them babies!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Quick Google search for Titleist 714 shows some recently uploaded pictures.

Another great looking line of clubs from Titleist.

These look like production, not prototypes.  The heads on the CB and MB are tiny.

Joe Paradiso

Yeah I agree. Golf.com called them prototypes:

"Titleist’s current stable of irons—MB, CB, AP1 and AP2 (712 series)—has enjoyed a strong two-year run on Tour and in the marketplace. However, two years is a long life cycle by today’s standards so you should expect the next-generation MB, CB, AP1 and AP2 (714 series) at retail in mid-November. As part of the company’s “performance validation process,” Titleist brass took prototype 714 irons to the PGA Tour this week at the AT&T; National in Bethesda, MD.

Titleist (like other club companies) typically doesn’t share every minute design enhancement so far ahead of launch. But here’s what we do know: Players love the look and feel of the current MB and CB. The new irons will be quite similar visually to the 712 series with an emphasis placed on a refined sole design that makes it easier to get the club in and out of the turf.

Multi-material AP1 and AP2 irons (712 series) are well balanced in terms of workability, forgiveness and feel. In short, the clubs look small and play big. The company’s already proven it knows how to boost inertia in a clubhead without increasing blade length and to produce a muscleback feel in a cavity back. Unquestionably, the fourth-generation AP1 and AP2 (714 series) will possess even more forgiveness while maintaining the combination of workability and feel that these "Advanced Performance" sticks are known for."

Here's a picture of the AP1s in Ben Curtis' bag.

Looks like my Christmas wish list is complete

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Yeah I agree. Golf.com called them prototypes:

The official word from Titleist is probably "prototype," but that's the same club you're going to see in stores whenever they come out.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

The official word from Titleist is probably "prototype," but that's the same club you're going to see in stores whenever they come out.

This coming November.

Back on topic of the tournament though, Horschel shot 68 while only hitting 5 fairways. That's impressive with this rough. It's not Merion-like rough, but it looks thicker than the average Tour stop.

My picks for this week: J. Day C. Howell III J. Spieth G. Woodland Figured Woodland and Spieth are somewhat longshots but I like Spieth's chances to win a tour event either this year or next. Was on the edge of picking Billy Horschel like I do almost every other week but thought I'd switch it up this week.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!