IGNORED

Pulling for Tiger

BayouBomber
Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's so overdue one it's ridiculous

I'm not English but I'm still rooting for Lee Westwood. After so many runner ups he's due for one, no doubt about it. As for Tiger, sure it would be nice to see him beat Jack but I could care less whether he wins next week or not. I've grown up watching him and there's no doubt he's been the biggest influence in golf the past 15 years but I also love seeing those first time winners like Rose, Scott, etc. Also, who wouldn't love to see Stricker or Westwood win?

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Count me as another non-Brit pulling for Westwood. It's time he puts it all together and grabs that first major. I've never been a tiger fan, always respected his game though. I used to think tiger reaching 19 or more was a matter of when, not if. His performance over the past 5 years in majors, coupled with many younger players stepping up leads me to believe Jack's record is safe.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Always pulling for Tiger. He's the best ever IMO. As far as Jack's record I think Tiger will break it. I think he will be the first to win one in his 50's. Physically he will be shape to win for another 10-15 maybe longer.

I don't root explicitly for Tiger Woods that much, but that's mainly because I tend not to cheer for the favorite in events where I have no partisan interest. I think Tiger has the best chance of winning the Open next week, and it would be great if he does, but if another player is challenging him for the lead on Sunday, I'm going to be hoping the other guy puts up a great fight.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

My favorite part about watching golf is I have no real favorite, unlike most other sports I watch.  I pull for each player to play well when they are on and watch to see how good these guys really are.  There are a couple of players I don't like, but most are fun to watch.

If Tiger wins, great.  But if someone else steps up, then that is great too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It shouldn't, that seems to be a popular opinion. I disagree with it, but it is what it is. I don't think his mental game is the problem, I just think he isn't quite as dominant as he once was, and that the competition is stiffer (possibly caused by him popularizing golf to its current level).

I kinda have to agree that Tigers mental game isn't broken (even as a documented Tigger hater). I would tend to think that the rest of the tour is just less terrified by Tiger than they were a couple years ago. I can remember good golfers literally falling apart if they were in the hunt with Tiger and forget about it if they were paired with him. To answer the original question though... The only constant for me is that I root for Phil and against Tiger and if Phil isn't playing than I find myself rooting for whoever is in the lead to begin the final round. For some reason I hate to see someone lose a lead when they've played well enough for three days in a row to have a lead or maybe its because I hate to see Phil continue to lose the lead in the final round of US Opens :)

Pulling for Tiger, by far the strongest player this year with 4 wins under his belt. I think if he is fully healed, he stands a good chance. Who else? Haas, Kutcher, McDowell, Mickleson, Poulter, Westwood all have a chance. Also, love to see Mcilroy or Bubba win it.

My favorite part about watching golf is I have no real favorite, unlike most other sports I watch.  I pull for each player to play well when they are on and watch to see how good these guys really are.  There are a couple of players I don't like, but most are fun to watch. If Tiger wins, great.  But if someone else steps up, then that is great too.

Something that made team sports far more palatable to me a few years ago was when I realized that I could apply how I watch golf to them. If I'm pressed for a "favorite" AFL/NFL/NHL team, I can come up with an answer, but the fact of the matter is I have more of a preference order to the teams - some I like, some I don't, some in the middle. Same with golf. Is Tiger my favorite? Yep. But if a tournament comes down to him and Phil, or him and Jim Furyk, I'm not going to be super upset at the outcome. Heck, even when a player I'm not terribly fond of wins, I still had a great time watching.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Tiger all the way, phil is my next go to guy if Tiger isn't in contention. Love Gmac as well great guy.

callaway.gif X Hot Driver 11.5*

ping.gif G20 3 Wood

ping.gif G20 3 and 4 Hybrid

ping.gif G20 Irons

titleist.gif Vokey SM4 60*

taylormade.gif White Smoke Putter

Anybody but Tiger. I'm the yin to Colin007's yang.... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Unfortunately, I was never able to watch the greats from the past.  Hogan, Jack, Trevino, Nelson, etc.  I do however have the ability to watch Tiger, who will go down as maybe the best ever.  It is truly a blessing as a fan to have the ability to watch history unfold in front of my eyes.  Not only did he bring me closer to golf, he will allow me to witness some of the best golf ever played.

Before we know it, it'll be over.  Tiger will be off into the sunset with his game and all that will be left is highlights and memories.

Those are my reasons for rooting for him.  Because ON the golf course, he is one of the most special players to have ever lived and I can say to my kids that I saw every second of it.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I couldnt care less if Tiger wins or doesnt and I honestly dont think he will win.  IMO, mentally he is a broken man and he doesnt have the mental game to get the job done.

Then explain four wins so far this year.

Seems to me The Open Championship has lately been sentimental winners (Els, Clarke, Harrington) or nobodies (Curtis, Hamilton). If that trend continues I could see Westwood representing the former group & someone like Jordan Speith representing the latter.

Quote:

Seems to me The Open Championship has lately been sentimental winners (Els, Clarke, Harrington) or nobodies (Curtis, Hamilton). If that trend continues I could see Westwood representing the former group & someone like Jordan Speith representing the latter.

I agree with this. Gotta say though - if that trend continues - the British Open will start to look like a novelty tournament. And Tiger's decisive victory at The Players Championship this year will look much more like a "major" win in comparison.

Imagine the hype if Speith wins...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Then explain four wins so far this year.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Imagine the hype if Speith wins...

Have to say, I didn't see anything last week to indicate to me that he can't win this week.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Anybody but Tiger. I'm the yin to Colin007's yang.... ;-)

Tiger Tiger Tiger. He could kick homeless orphans in the face in between shots and I'd still root for him. Ok, well, maybe not, but close...

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I couldnt care less if Tiger wins or doesnt and I honestly dont think he will win.  IMO, mentally he is a broken man and he doesnt have the mental game to get the job done.

Faldo and Chamblee have been singing the same tune. 4 bloody wins this year in 9 starts, no other golfer has more, but he's the one broken mentally. I hear ya, Doc. I'm more inclined to believe both Faldo and Chamblee seeing as both look like they know what being broken mentally feels/look like.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!