IGNORED

Official 2013 British Open at Muirfield Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny

Yeah, I hope that never creeps into golf. My wife is American (from Florida) and a U of F fan. She can't say, "Discover Orange Bowl," with a straight face, but then, as I recall, it's the dreaded Seminoles rather than the Gators that have had the most recent success in that direction, anyway...

The names of bowl games have gotten out of hand. There are several old bowl games that are no longer known by their historic names, only by their sponsors. There are even some where the historic name (Peach Bowl) has been dropped altogether for the sponsor name (Chick-Fil-A Bowl).

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny

Yeah, I hope that never creeps into golf. My wife is American (from Florida) and a U of F fan. She can't say, "Discover Orange Bowl," with a straight face, but then, as I recall, it's the dreaded Seminoles rather than the Gators that have had the most recent success in that direction, anyway...

The names of bowl games have gotten out of hand. There are several old bowl games that are no longer known by their historic names, only by their sponsors. There are even some where the historic name (Peach Bowl) has been dropped altogether for the sponsor name (Chick-Fil-A Bowl).

It's a sad statement when the almighty dollar can trump all tradition.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

We're talking about an Anglocentric nomenclature that exists with any sport that originated in Britain. The English national (association) football federation is not named as such; it is simply the Football Association. The big tennis tournament isn't the British Open, but The Championships, Wimbledon. They invented the game, their championship was the first, and they'll be damned if anyone tries to make it change the names now.

Problem is our English cousins have an annoying habit of giving things more than one name and having other people get stuck with it.  The term "Soccer" was an English term.  Americans did not name it soccer, but stayed with the name to differentiate from American Football.  There are two primary sets of units for measurement, metric (SI) and English units, not American units.  The metal "aluminum" was named by Sir Humphrey Davy, who was English.  He changed it to "aluminium" later so it would sound more like magnesium and other metals.

The Brits invented the following, tennis, badminton, ice hockey, field hockey, table tennis, rugby, soccer and a bunch of other sports come to think of it.  I guess they had a lot of free time on their hands.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by colin007

I hope Tiger wins The Open next year at Pinehurst and then the British Open at Hoylake...

Clever.

Wonder how the R&A; would respond if the USGA changed the US Open to "The Greatest Open Championship". I think sh*t would get real.

Tyler Martin

Clever.

Wonder how the R&A; would respond if the USGA changed the US Open to "The Greatest Open Championship". I think sh*t would get real.

Would be hilarious. "The Open People Care About" would work, too.

Not that people don't care about the BO, but it would win at rattling nerves...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by colin007

I hope Tiger wins The Open next year at Pinehurst and then the British Open at Hoylake...

While I agree that there are probably many US players who would be just as happy winning the Masters or US Open as The Open, I doubt that anyone anywhere would be as happy winning the PGA.

Originally Posted by VOX

While I agree that there are probably many US players who would be just as happy winning the Masters or US Open as The Open, I doubt that anyone anywhere would be as happy winning the PGA.

Depends. If they haven't won a major, I don't really think they care as much...they at least get that monkey off their back. If they're more established, sure...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Clever.

The Greatest Champion Golfer of the Year.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

The Greatest Champion Golfer of the Year.

The REAL Champion Golfer of the Year

or

World's Greatest Golfer

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by VOX

Why? It's a major. Equal footing as the other three.

In fact, I can make the case that it has the toughest field. All professionals. No winners from 40 years ago (Masters) or Amateur Sectional Qualifiers (US & British Opens).

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOX

In fact, I can make the case that it has the toughest field. All professionals. No winners from 40 years ago (Masters) or Amateur Sectional Qualifiers (US & British Opens).

I think the PGA probably carries the least weight to casual golfers. But to professionals, I think it means a lot.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by VOX

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Another way of saying what I think VOX meant is that the PGA is just a teensy bit less prestigious to them.  Don't get me wrong, it a MAJOR, so it's an enormous deal, but solely in relation to the other 3 ... it's certainly the "least" of the best in, I'm guessing, most everybody's eyes.  I know I've heard a million different people argue for the Masters, and either Open, as their ultimate favorite, but I don't know that I've ever heard anybody say that the PGA was their favorite.

Of course, if you just consider trophy size, then it has to be the best one!

I think the PGA probably carries the least weight to casual golfers. But to professionals, I think it means a lot.

Those are not mutually exclusive statements.  I could say that "the PGA probably carries the least weight to professionals, but to casual golfers, I think it means a lot"  and BOTH of them could be true.  In fact, I think both of them are true.  In general, I think that it carries the least weight of all 4 majors, but of course, it's still a major so its a huuuuuge deal.

(Of course, with the caveat that there are a some professionals out there who discount the British Open simply because they can't play it)

Theres a call for you on line two-Says his name is a Mr. Ben Hogan.[quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/68416/official-2013-british-open-at-muirfield-discussion-thread/234#post_871242"]He is the most resilient player in the history of the game. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

And this thread wandered nicely OT while I was away…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And this thread wandered nicely OT while I was away…

When Erik's away, the trolls will play. Plus not much else to say about The Open. Phil won, Tiger didn't.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!