IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

How in the world do you manage to play only tournament rounds?

I'm guessing no kids.  ;-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

College golf maybe

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

29 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

3 minutes ago, TN94z said:

College golf maybe

I'm pretty sure that @MasonAsher2014 is playing college golf, so probably is indeed kid-less, but I'd have thought that even a college golfer must play some practice rounds at some point.  I'm sure he'll help me to understand.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

Bump it lower? What?  I am hoping to dump the good rounds from last year so I know how bad I sukkk at golf now in 2017.  

You want to get 1-2 more in to bump it lower......maybe we are in different worlds.... just maybe!  Not sure!  

I have to get it to a 2.7 in order to play in a few tournaments this summer where the deadlines to enter are the 21st of May!

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Pardon me, I do play other rounds I only put tournament rounds into my handicap. I have played a ton, I just don't post the practice rounds or anything. My bad for not making that clearer.

3 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

None. (That I know of.)

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

College golf maybe

Bingo. 

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

6 minutes ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

Pardon me, I do play other rounds I only put tournament rounds into my handicap. I have played a ton, I just don't post the practice rounds or anything. My bad for not making that clearer.

So you're telling us that your handicap isn't valid?  I hope you realize that you're REQUIRED (not supposed to, but required) to post all of your eligible scores.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Just now, DaveP043 said:

So you're telling us that your handicap isn't valid?  I hope you realize that you're REQUIRED (not supposed to, but required) to post all of your eligible scores.

It is valid. You are not supposed to post solo rounds and that is what we do at practice. We either play on our own working with coaches or arrive early and play 18. If the off chance comes that we do play 18 I am hitting extra balls and not keeping score because I am working on different things, coach doesn't want our scorecards besides in qualifying. If I play with someone it is only for 3-4 holes on one of our loops at the end of practice, you are required to play at least 7 holes with someone to post it, which I do not do. Every round that I have played this summer has been by myself, which I am not to post according to USGA. 

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

On 5/11/2017 at 0:13 PM, DaveP043 said:

Plus if he denotes they are practice rounds in the beginning of the round, he doesn't have to post them.

My cap dropped .2 somehow, despite the poor greens and higher scores from early season.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

7 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Plus if he denotes they are practice rounds in the beginning of the round, he doesn't have to post them.

I'd be really interested if you could find a reference to that in the USGA Handicap Manual.

Dave

On 5/17/2017 at 7:29 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'd be really interested if you could find a reference to that in the USGA Handicap Manual.

I don't think it is addressed because there is no intention to record or post a score.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I don't think it is addressed because there is no intention to record or post a score.

Except that, unless a round is otherwise prohibited, all rounds must be posted.

This whole, "I don't intend to post it so I don't have to" thing isn't mentioned anywhere in the handicap manual that I'm aware of.  Too often, it's just used as an excuse not to post rounds...

Edited by David in FL
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

This whole, "I don't intend to post it so I don't have to" thing isn't mentioned anywhere in the handicap manual that I'm aware of.  Too often, it's just used as an excuse not to post rounds...

The "practice round" has to be stated prior to tee off, but I get what you are saying. I am having a shitty round so it is all of a sudden a practice round. Honestly, sometimes I just want a fun round once in a while and make decision prior to playing that I won't post. Like when I play with my gf and son or want to have a beer or two with friends. I think if you are posting ALL your tournament rounds it is a fair assessment however you might play better with less on the line.

31 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Exactly.

Of course, it's easy enough to "game" the system anyway; you can just play two balls for one shot (putt) each hole, and technically invalidate the round.  But the purpose of the system is that all rounds count, unless invalid for some specific reason...

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, MasonAsher2014 said:

You are not supposed to post solo rounds and that is what we do at practice. We either play on our own working with coaches or arrive early and play 18. If the off chance comes that we do play 18 I am hitting extra balls and not keeping score because I am working on different things, coach doesn't want our scorecards besides in qualifying. If I play with someone it is only for 3-4 holes on one of our loops at the end of practice, you are required to play at least 7 holes with someone to post it, which I do not do.

...like any of these! 

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

The "practice round" has to be stated prior to tee off, but I get what you are saying.

Again, even if you say "this is a practice round" before you tee off, it doesn't mean anything.  If you play more than 7 holes in accordance with the Rules, you have to post that round, regardless of whether you "declare" it a practice round.

• Upvote 1

- John

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

The "practice round" has to be stated prior to tee off, but I get what you are saying. I am having a shitty round so it is all of a sudden a practice round. Honestly, sometimes I just want a fun round once in a while and make decision prior to playing that I won't post. Like when I play with my gf and son or want to have a beer or two with friends. I think if you are posting ALL your tournament rounds it is a fair assessment however you might play better with less on the line.

I'll double check, but I don't remember the "I want to have fun and have a beer or two with my friends" exception either... ;-) 

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Too often, it's just used as an excuse not to post rounds...

Legitimate questions here Dave - not meant as an argument. Isn't what you're describing vanity capping? If so, why would it matter that they do it? They are only hurting themselves, correct? Or can it adversely affect others as well?

I've played like 10 rounds this year and the only one that I've been able to submit (because I had a playing partner for that round) was by far my best of the year. Tomorrow will be my second round playing with others and I anticipate an upward "correction" in the trend.:-(

For me, I play far too many solo rounds to waste an opportunity to play with others as a practice round (sometimes it's unavoidable). Plus, I need a minimum of posted rounds for my crappy handicap to be legitimate.

Jon

7 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Legitimate questions here Dave - not meant as an argument. Isn't what you're describing vanity capping? If so, why would it matter that they do it? They are only hurting themselves, correct? Or can it adversely affect others as well?

I've played like 10 rounds this year and the only one that I've been able to submit (because I had a playing partner for that round) was by far my best of the year. Tomorrow will be my second round playing with others and I anticipate an upward "correction" in the trend.:-(

For me, I play far too many solo rounds to waste an opportunity to play with others as a practice round (sometimes it's unavoidable). Plus, I need a minimum of posted rounds for my crappy handicap to be legitimate.

Fair question.

It's only "vanity capping" when the "practice" rounds in question would have resulted in a higher than normal score.  Someone could equally decide that a better than normal round should be designated as a practice round, which of course would lead to sandbagging and an artificially high handicap.

The best way that the USGA has decided to combat that is to require that all rounds (other than solo rounds) be posted.  The good, the bad, and the ugly...

It's also worth mentioning that once you establish your handicap, you don't need a "minimum number of posted rounds" to maintain legitimacy.

In David's bag....

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Someone could equally decide that a better than normal round should be designated as a practice round, which of course would lead to sandbagging and an artificially high handicap.

Of course. I hadn't thought about it that way.

5 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's also worth mentioning that once you establish your handicap, you don't need a "minimum number of posted rounds" to maintain legitimacy.

That's good to know. So if I had a legitimate handicap last year, it would have carried over this year - even if I played and posted less than 5 rounds?

I'll be lucky to be able post 10 rounds per season.

Jon

Just now, JonMA1 said:

That's good to know. So if I had a legitimate handicap last year, it would have carried over this year - even if I played and posted less than 5 rounds?

Yep.  It happens.  I suspect it'll happen more now, with the prohibition against posting solo rounds. 

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!