IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is totally true.  One of my regular courses is quite easy and wide open (Woodley Lakes).  But the back tees are pretty long, which makes the differentials there much better than they feel like they should be given how easy the course is:

Blue:   6,805 yards, 71.9/119

White: 6,528 yards, 70.5/117

There's no way I shoot 1.5 strokes worse from the blue tees.  On average I must gain at least a 1 point in average differential from playing the blues versus the whites there.

Though there are some courses where this would not be true.  As someone who's pretty long, if playing a shorter set of tees turns a bunch of 400-420 par 4s into 360-380 par 4s, then suddenly I can tee off with a 3i or even 4i instead of 3w/driver and still be hitting a scoring iron into the green.  Then the percentage of the time I end up in a penal spot off the tee drops significantly and I will probably score much better.  Just turns out that at this course that doesn't really happen, just makes the shorter par 4s even shorter and the longer par 4s slightly less long, but doesn't really push any of them over that threshold for me, and only helps a ton on one par 3, turning a 6i-8i, depending on tee placement, into a wedge.

Yeah, it's definitely not always true.  Totally agree that if a shorter set of tees is going to allow me to hit an iron instead of a wood oftentimes, then I'm probably going to score better because I'm going to be able to hit more fairways.  Same with the par 3's as well.  (This course was only 1 club difference on the par 3's so it probably wouldn't have changed much)

One example:  A slight dogleg right par 4 that was 374 yards long with sand traps at the dogleg such that I needed to lay up with a hybrid.  If I was playing a shorter set of tees, all I'm doing is laying up with 4 iron instead of hybrid, or being stupid and trying to hit a big cut with a driver beyond the bunkers.  It's going to (basically) be a wash if I play it safe, and over time, likely going to actually RAISE my score from the shorter tees just from being stupid.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One example:  A slight dogleg right par 4 that was 374 yards long with sand traps at the dogleg such that I needed to lay up with a hybrid.  If I was playing a shorter set of tees, all I'm doing is laying up with 4 iron instead of hybrid, or being stupid and trying to hit a big cut with a driver beyond the bunkers.  It's going to (basically) be a wash if I play it safe, and over time, likely going to actually RAISE my score from the shorter tees just from being stupid.

Haha.  That totally happens.  Can't think of any examples right now, but I've definitely played holes where the shorter tees have tempted me into a dumb shot I wouldn't have tried had I been playing the back tees.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Haha.  That totally happens.  Can't think of any examples right now, but I've definitely played holes where the shorter tees have tempted me into a dumb shot I wouldn't have tried had I been playing the back tees.

I also like to come to a 290 yard par 4 and go "Ooh, I can drive this green and have an easy birdie." :doh: If I'm playing back at 310 or 320, I don't even hesitate to plunk a 4 iron out there to leave a straightforward wedge in.

It's technically the best 10 rounds of your last 20. So 20 rounds is the number. I am not sure if you can have an official one with less rounds.

[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicap-indices/540#post_940281"]Once you have 20 scores, its the best 10.  Until that point, go by this chart: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89724/] [/URL] You can't have an official handicap prior to playing at least 5 rounds.  (This chart is from [URL=http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/]the USGA Handicap Manual, Section 10[/URL]) [/quote] Let me rephrase my question.. After I have 20 rounds under my belt and let's say I get these rounds by June 2014, are there any obligations for me to keep my handicap updated by playing a certain number of games after that? Let us say someone couldn't play for 2 years after his 20th game, is his handicap maintained or does he start again because his "handicap" expired

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Let me rephrase my question.. After I have 20 rounds under my belt and let's say I get these rounds by June 2014, are there any obligations for me to keep my handicap updated by playing a certain number of games after that? Let us say someone couldn't play for 2 years after his 20th game, is his handicap maintained or does he start again because his "handicap" expired

Oh ... ummm, I don't know.  I presume as long as you keep your account current then you probably have a maintained handicap.

Let me rephrase my question.. After I have 20 rounds under my belt and let's say I get these rounds by June 2014, are there any obligations for me to keep my handicap updated by playing a certain number of games after that? Let us say someone couldn't play for 2 years after his 20th game, is his handicap maintained or does he start again because his "handicap" expired

I would say probably not because that is just too much time between your last posted round and the round you would play some 2 years later, however I was told this but have not verified either but we had a guy win the low net at our club a couple years ago and his last entry was a year and a half old I was told. Honestly you really would want to update because people are not going to like it if someone enters themselves as a 20 and shoots a 78 at a club championship with entries over a year old.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I would say probably not because that is just too much time between your last posted round and the round you would play some 2 years later, however I was told this but have not verified either but we had a guy win the low net at our club a couple years ago and his last entry was a year and a half old I was told. Honestly you really would want to update because people are not going to like it if someone enters themselves as a 20 and shoots a 78 at a club championship with entries over a year old.

That's what I meant.. But aside from people not liking it, I wonder hf there is a specific time period or number of rounds required, such that they say that you need a minimum of 3 rounds per six months to maintain, otherwise you have a handicap but it is non conforming until you do x.. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter to me since I don't have one, but just think it is interesting!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

With GHIN, you could not pay your handicap fees for a couple of years and then rejoin and after the first revision, your old handicap will be there with your last 20 rounds posted[quote name="Abu3baid" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicap-indices/540#post_940409"] That's what I meant.. But aside from people not liking it, I wonder hf there is a specific time period or number of rounds required, such that they say that you need a minimum of 3 rounds per six months to maintain, otherwise you have a handicap but it is non conforming until you do x.. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter to me since I don't have one, but just think it is interesting![/quote]

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

That's what I meant.. But aside from people not liking it, I wonder hf there is a specific time period or number of rounds required, such that they say that you need a minimum of 3 rounds per six months to maintain, otherwise you have a handicap but it is non conforming until you do x.. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter to me since I don't have one, but just think it is interesting!

With GHIN, you could not pay your handicap fees for a couple of years and then rejoin and after the first revision, your old handicap will be there with your last 20 rounds posted

There's no minimum amount of scores that you have to post in order for your handicap to remain "valid".  It is important to remember that ALL scores must be posted though, so someone would be invalidating their handicap if they were playing, but not posting scores.

If someone maintains their club affiliation (continues to pay their annual hcp fee) then their handicap will remain in effect even if they're not posting scores.  If they drop their affiliation, it really depends on whether the old scoring records are available.  As meenman said, through GHIN, they could be available for quite some time, and most clubs will maintain them for a long time too.....the USGA recommends a minimum of one year.  Once a player resumes playing, it will take one revision (15 days) until his hcp updates.

From the decisions portion of the USGA handicap manual:

6-1/1. Procedure for Player who Discontinues Play for Lengthy Period and Then Resumes Play

Q: A player with an established Handicap Index discontinues play for a lengthy period, and then resumes play. Should the player use the last Handicap Index on resumption of play or establish a new Handicap Index?

A: The player does not have a Handicap Index until the next scheduled handicap revision. The player's club Handicap Committee may issue a Handicap Index (M) sooner if at least five scores exist in the scoring record.

If the scoring record of the player is unavailable when resuming play, the player has no Handicap Index until five scores have been posted and a handicap revision passes.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Mine is frozen like the ground around here.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I feel your pain

Not much better around here. I told somebody a few days ago that at least when I lived in northern Missouri after hunting season I could get in winter mode and do 'winter" things like ice fishing and ice skating. Here it's usually too cold for golf and too warm for the ice to be safe.

Even geese have enough sense to fly south for the winter. :surrender:

Looking forward to more global warming...

Not much better around here. I told somebody a few days ago that at least when I lived in northern Missouri after hunting season I could get in winter mode and do 'winter" things like ice fishing and ice skating. Here it's usually too cold for golf and too warm for the ice to be safe.

Even geese have enough sense to fly south for the winter.

Looking forward to more global warming...

Haha, you're telling me... We've got plenty of ice up here, but it's been too damn cold to do anything outside. I can count on one hand how many days in the past two months we've been in the double-digits.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

It is important to remember that ALL scores must be posted though, so someone would be invalidating their handicap if they were playing, but not posting scores.

Does this also hold true if you have rounds that you played outside of the accepted season?

I played some rounds in November which I was unable to post because they said it was outside of the timeframe of the golf season up here even though one of those rounds happened on a gorgeous 60* day.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Does this also hold true if you have rounds that you played outside of the accepted season?

I played some rounds in November which I was unable to post because they said it was outside of the timeframe of the golf season up here even though one of those rounds happened on a gorgeous 60* day.

No.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Does this also hold true if you have rounds that you played outside of the accepted season? I played some rounds in November which I was unable to post because they said it was outside of the timeframe of the golf season up here even though one of those rounds happened on a gorgeous 60* day.

[quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicap-indices/558#post_940550"]No. [/quote] ^^^^^^This^^^^^^ Unless the course played is in an area that does not observe an inactive season. For instance, if you take a winter trip to Florida, you would be required to post all rounds played, even though your own club/location was inactive.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Noooo!!!! My car ac is still broken and ... And don't forget about the poor tennis players in Australia too! ;)

The ac in my truck hasn't worked since 1999.

Note: This thread is 1203 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!