IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

in case i missed it, how does one keep track of a handicap? i am new to golf and some things a really understand and somethings i'm still learning. this is my second year of playing golf as a golfer (well still a hacker) but actually trying and playing by all the rules or as many as i know and to the best i can interpret them. i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with just keeping track of your score and what you avg. from what i understood the little i heard about it is it also involves course difficulty. all that being said how does one keep a handicap? i would like to have one although i'm sure it will be high but i would like to be able to track my progress.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

in case i missed it, how does one keep track of a handicap? i am new to golf and some things a really understand and somethings i'm still learning. this is my second year of playing golf as a golfer (well still a hacker) but actually trying and playing by all the rules or as many as i know and to the best i can interpret them. i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with just keeping track of your score and what you avg. from what i understood the little i heard about it is it also involves course difficulty. all that being said how does one keep a handicap? i would like to have one although i'm sure it will be high but i would like to be able to track my progress.

well all you gotta do is

-keep score of your strokes when you are playing a hole at the golf course

-at the end of the 18 holes you have finished scorecard -let your playing partner sign it etc...

-calculate the hcp from your scorecards

-you need to read the mathematical formula for calculating the hcp in USGA style (calculating hcp works rather diferently in different countries!!!)

-return all the scorecards to your A) home course  B) home golf club, OF WHICH YOU ARE MEMBER.

-I'm pretty sure you must have a specific registered home course / golf club membership, through which your calculated hcp is entered into the network on a computer or something.

Shaved a tenth off of my index with the latest revision and have now dropped down to a 1.6 Trying to keep the momentum going.

Index: 1.6

Stroke Average: 73.0

Anti-Index: 6.2

well all you gotta do is

-keep score of your strokes when you are playing a hole at the golf course

-at the end of the 18 holes you have finished scorecard -let your playing partner sign it etc...

-calculate the hcp from your scorecards

-you need to read the mathematical formula for calculating the hcp in USGA style (calculating hcp works rather diferently in different countries!!!)

-return all the scorecards to your A) home course  B) home golf club, OF WHICH YOU ARE MEMBER.

-I'm pretty sure you must have a specific registered home course / golf club membership, through which your calculated hcp is entered into the network on a computer or something.

thank you for the help. clearly it is harder then i expected.

thank you for the help. clearly it is harder then i expected.

Not at all @BrownCoast .....though not necessarily wrong, the info @late347 is a little misleading, especially for someone in the US.

All you have to do is go on-line to your state golf association.  Your location says Niagara Falls, is that NY?  If so, here's the link....

http://www.nysga.org/eclubs

You'll join the appropriate e-club for $35.  You'll then be eligible for handicap services.  You simply enter your scores on-line here...

http://www.nysga.org/ghin

.....and you'll have an official, GHIN handicap.  There is no calculating, signing of scorecards, returning scorecards to the club, or any such things required, you simply enter your scores for the courses you play as you play them.  You can even get a nifty little GHIN app for your smart phone and manage your rounds right from the phone.  It takes no more than 30 seconds to enter a round once it's complete.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

no Niagara Falls ont. i guess i should have specified that

no Niagara Falls ont. i guess i should have specified that

No problem!  Canada uses a handicap system that's very similar to that in the U.S.

Here's your link http://www.golfcanada.ca/members/why-join/

Join the "public player program" and you need not belong to a club and scores may be entered on-line and via smart phone, just like in the U.S.

:beer:

In David's bag....

Dropped two tenths this revision to 7.6.  Next revision should be interesting.  I probably average between zero and one round per revision, and I've got 4 coming up in the next 12 days or so.  Next round will knock out my second best differential in my last 20, but the following 3 are all freebies.

Time to make some hay!!

No problem!  Canada uses a handicap system that's very similar to that in the U.S.

Here's your link  http://www.golfcanada.ca/members/why-join/

Join the "public player program" and you need not belong to a club and scores may be entered on-line and via smart phone, just like in the U.S.

thats awesome, thanks so much Dave!!! like i said this is only my second year actually playing golf but it would be nice to see how i progress (against myself) i'm not expecting single digits or anything like like but it would be nice to see if in fact i get better (by how much) stay roughly the same or find i'm getting worse...i hope the last one does not factor in. but thanks again and i will be sure to look into it. very much appreciated!!!

Headed in the wrong direction. Started the season at 8.4 and the latest is 10.9, up a whole point since the last revision.

Bill M

11.9 to 12.0. I have a 9.9 that will come off with the next revision, so my handicap could change quite a bit next time around.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...
Up 0.1. Tennis anyone?

In David's bag....

Updated to a 10.2... lowest I've ever been.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Updated to a 10.2... lowest I've ever been.

Awesome! Must feel great.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

After having a crazy first 3 months of the year, gotten my handicap back down. 8.7, lets keep the trend going!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

After having a crazy first 3 months of the year, gotten my handicap back down. 8.7, lets keep the trend going!!!

Your goal should be 4. Maybe 5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3.8 to 4.3 to 4.7 now for me. :D

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Note: This thread is 1179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!