IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

I've heard great things about that film, well, except from Erik but he's a bit of a hipster so…;-) Let me know how you like it.

Loved it. Birdie! Also loved the soundtrack. And my new current favorite song is Long Black Road by ELO ... How have I never heard that song before?? [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/90#post_942705"] I liked AH. I'd give it a 25 ft birdie, I liked the funny side of the movie, liked seeing Amy Adams play against her goodie two shoes type.[/quote] [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/90#post_942738"]I have to agree that American Hustle was a bit long. It was good when they were doing their hustle or the drama was up. When it wasn't the movie would drag on. Also, I hated the FBI guy, really annoying.  [/quote]Bradley Cooper or Louis CK? Dude never finished the ice fishing story!, My favorite line in the movie ... "Don't put metal in the science oven!"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All is Lost with Robert Redford.  I give it a birdie.  If you like ocean adventure/survival stories, you will like this.

Agreed, tap-in birdie. Some of stunts he pulled off @ 77, amazing. But great acting. That one scene where he blows up vocally, wow. Love the subtle soundtrack.

Agreed, tap-in birdie. Some of stunts he pulled off @ 77, amazing. But great acting. That one scene where he blows up vocally, wow. Love the subtle soundtrack.

Agreed.  I told my wife that I would have been swearing a LOT more than Redford!  And even though his face shows his age, he still is good looking.  Bastard.

Give Lone Survivor a par.  Well directed and the grittiness of the action was very effective.  Heard some people were protesting the movie because it glorifies war, it conveyed the complete opposite IMO.

I can't really use the word "enjoyed" about this movie but it is very well done and there is so much to take from it. I feel like a cipher for having ever at any time complained about my life. Without spoiling it, the two ethics/honor decisions in the movie, one at the beginning and the one at the end are just so tough. Sometimes the right things come at the greatest expense. I have so much respect for those individuals.

Captain Phillips.  Birdie.  Hanks is just a great actor.

Absolutely. I once heard some talking head refer to Tom Hanks as our generations* Jimmy Stewart and I think that's a pretty accurate comparison.

*It occurred to me whilst typing this post that Jimmy Stewart was probably your generations Jimmy Stewart. Ha, old man! :w00t:

Absolutely. I once heard some talking head refer to Tom Hanks as our generations* Jimmy Stewart and I think that's a pretty accurate comparison.

*It occurred to me whilst typing this post that Jimmy Stewart was probably your generations Jimmy Stewart. Ha, old man!

My son's middle name is James after James Stewart and James Buffett. :dance:

I thought Lone Survivor would be somewhat similar to Argo/Zero Dark Thirty but closer to the real story, like Restrepo with fictional dramatization. It was a tough watch and I'll have to go through the book it was based on. The opening sequence documenting the training these guys go through, it's something. Similar feelings towards Captain Philips. He did an AMA on reddit, the captain. Learned a lot about the shipping business. I for one am tired of superhero movies and am glad there are more movies in the vein of the above two.

• Administrator

I watched About Time tonight. A solid, routine birdie. Fairway, green, made 22-footer.

It was sweet without being sappy, had a nice message, and ended before it got tedious. Having just lost my grandma, I found the parts about his father particularly touching. When I think of the movie, I'll be inspired to be a better father and husband - we can't go back in time to fix anything, so we have to get it right the first time around.

I watched About Time tonight. A solid, routine birdie. Fairway, green, made 22-footer. It was sweet without being sappy, had a nice message, and ended before it got tedious. Having just lost my grandma, I found the parts about his father particularly touching. When I think of the movie, I'll be inspired to be a better father and husband - we can't go back in time to fix anything, so we have to get it right the first time around.

Some people were negative on it because of not being consistent w/time travel rules but I though it was more a movie about relationships with some time travel thrown in rather than a time travel movie. It was very sweet, like Knotting Hill and 4 Weddings, all sappy movies but usually find myself watching. Will watch anything with Bill Nye. Well, almost everything - Underworld, ugh.

• Administrator
Some people were negative on it because of not being consistent w/time travel rules but I though it was more a movie about relationships with some time travel thrown in rather than a time travel movie. It was very sweet, like Knotting Hill and 4 Weddings, all sappy movies but usually find myself watching. Will watch anything with Bill Nye. Well, almost everything - Underworld, ugh.

It's funny that you typed "Bill Nye." :) It's Bill Nighy. I think the Ken Ham thread may have thrown you off…

Yeah, I remember now those people complaining about the time travel rules. Whatevs… screw them hippie nerds. :D

It's funny that you typed "Bill Nye." :) It's Bill Nighy. I think the Ken Ham thread may have thrown you off… Yeah, I remember now those people complaining about the time travel rules. Whatevs… screw them hippie nerds. :D

Ha ha. Lol. I've been lurking that thread. I claim auto-correct!