iacas

The Films and Movies Thread

1,976 posts / 131603 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

This was my take as well.   I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and understand why it went to Netflix.   The lead actor was very good.   I give it a Par.

If they could have delivered this before The Jungle Book came out it might have been a moderate success. 

Reminds me of Armageddon and Deep Impact.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Ask Me Anything, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ask_me_anything, par.

Way better than I expected, but… not enough to put it over the top for a better score. Katie was well acted, and the stars played their roles pretty well.

Twin movies.

On 12/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, Warren Zevon said:

If they could have delivered this before The Jungle Book came out it might have been a moderate success. 

Reminds me of Armageddon and Deep Impact.  

'EQUALS'. Eagle.

Kristen Stewart, Nicholas Hoult. Two young lovers depart from the norm simply by having romantic feelings for each other in a society where humans have been relieved of all emotions. I really enjoyed this movie. I think it has a very 'Aldous Huxley' touch to it along with a 'Logan's Run' feel. My real appreciation was in the performance from Kristen Stewart. She's been given a bit of a rap on her inability to really express true emotion in her films. With this  film I believe the director did an excellent job of using Kristen's 'style' to make her character deliver a powerful message of remembering what it's like to be human.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.  I’m giving this one an on the green in two on a par five, two putt birdie.   I thought this was very well put together.  Tons of laughs, some heartwarming/breaking stuff, and some really interesting animation.  I’m going to try and make it to the theatres again for a rewatch.  

Downsizing was not what I thought it would be. I swear there were shots in the promo/trailer that were not in the movie, too… that implied that it was a comedy and some other plot things that I won't get into.

I give it a par, all told, but it wasn't a well played hole that most of the time would be a bogey. Just got a little luck to make the par putt or something…

I'll give Mary Poppins Returns a half hearted birdie. Lead actress and Hamilton kill it, songs are good, and I enjoyed it, but at the same time, it's a rehash of the original and I liked the original, but wasn't crazy about it. The songs I think are better in the original, some of them are iconic, but will have to let time pass to better judge the songs in the current version.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:49 AM, boogielicious said:

Searching - Starring John Cho. Easy birdie with really good acting and an excellent story line. 

Omg yes! We loved it, so good. I could never have kids.

Anyone seen Bird Box yet? If you liked A Quiet Place, this is even better, scarier, more intense. I loved it all except maybe the last two minutes, but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

We watch a Christmas movie every year.   This year we watched Prime's "The man who invented Christmas".   It's a story about Charles Dickens and his writing of "A Christmas Carol".   The characters come to life and add some humor to this old story.   It's not a repeat of the old story but a look at how he wrote it with the character's help.    An easy par.

Later we watched Venom.  It is an easy birdie, almost eagle.   The humor interaction between the symbiote and Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock was hilarious.   Tom Hardy made this movie, his performance was fantastic.  Several movie critics tanked the movie for it's lack of character development but I watch movies to be entertained and entertaining, it was.   The action scenes were many and very well done.   

I always rewatch The Boat that Rocked during the holidays. Birdie if you skip the meh parts.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which I've watched at least twice before, I give a birdie to. It's just fun and amusing and so over the top it works.

Ready Player One I only watched last night because I heard it was good from a source I wouldn't have expected to like that movie, and the birdie putt lipped out for a tap-in par. I wish they'd spent just a little less time in the "Oasis," and more time in the real world. It was also a bit campy that all five of the "friends" lived in Columbus or close by… but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie, seeing as how I was not interested at all based on the previews. It was a good story.

Watched Bandersnatch on Netflix over the holiday - bogey.  It is an interactive movie where the viewer uses the remote to make decisions regarding the direction of the story along the way.  For me, the prompts just got in the way of watching the movie and I had the constant stress of wondering if I was making the right choices.  Of course, there is no real right or wrong, but like my golf game that didn't keep me from overthinking each decision.  I thought the cinematography was really good, and I enjoyed the flashback to the 80's, but the story just wasn't very engaging (for me) and the interactive component never really made me feel like I was in the drivers seat.  Nor do I want to be ... movies are for escaping. 

Watched Aquaman in the theater tonight.   It's a typical DC movie.   The story line was predictable but the CG were pretty good.     The movie was a love story but the action was non-stop.   Par

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Watched Aquaman in the theater tonight.   It's a typical DC movie.   The story line was predictable but the CG were pretty good.     The movie was a love story but the action was non-stop.   Par

I wonder if they will combine The Shape of Water  and Aquaman in a sequel?:-P

Looking back on 2018, I probably watched less movies than ever.  I'm really starting to hate the theater in my town.  I didn't even watch a ton at home or on Netflix. 

With that being said, I have to say my favorite flick of the year was Spider-Man : Into The Spider-Verse.  I know most will dismiss it because A) It's a cartoon, and B) It's yet another Superhero flick.  This movie, to me, was the most fun I've had watching in a while.  For those of you who enjoy the hero movies but are skeptical of this one, don't be.  Go see it in the theater so you can appreciate it better on the big screen.  If you regret it, I'll mail you a golf tee.

Although I'm dying for Avengers : Endgame to come out, I'm getting ready to check out Glass later this month.  I always enjoyed Unbreakable, and Split was pretty interesting, too.

Watched a couple of movies on my flights over holiday.

A Quiet Place, which someone already gave a birdie to, and I agree. Very tense.

RBG, which is also a birdie. I actually didn't like it at first, as it started out too reverential, but as it went on, and I learned more about her, her astute legal mind, struggles, accomplishments, deep friendship with Scalia, etc., you realize she is one-of-a-kind. Worth watching while she's still with us, which may not be much longer.

Edited by chspeed