IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Watched a bootleg of Captain America Civil War - going to see it in theaters anyway, just wanted to see it in advance - it is a lot of fun. The Spiderman scenes are hilarious. Overall, better than the last one, Ultron whatever. One of the reviews I read was right in a way, but not off-putting. He said it was like a convention of cosplay players. That's true, there are a lot of characters in it - from all the other movies, but I've been watching most of them casually (but that I mean I don't read a whole bunch of reviews like I normally would) and pretty much knew who was whom and their backstory enough to get all the jokes and references.

Totally agree with this review of the movie, I'd give it between a par and a birdie. It's a really good superhero movie. I'm just so... tired... of... superhero... movies... Just stop (wishful thinking). It's like a once great tv show that keeps adding on season after season. Do you want ice cream for every meal?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On May 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM, nevets88 said:

Watched a bootleg of Captain America Civil War - going to see it in theaters anyway, just wanted to see it in advance - it is a lot of fun. The Spiderman scenes are hilarious. Overall, better than the last one, Ultron whatever. One of the reviews I read was right in a way, but not off-putting. He said it was like a convention of cosplay players. That's true, there are a lot of characters in it - from all the other movies, but I've been watching most of them casually (but that I mean I don't read a whole bunch of reviews like I normally would) and pretty much knew who was whom and their backstory enough to get all the jokes and references.

Totally agree with this review of the movie, I'd give it between a par and a birdie. It's a really good superhero movie. I'm just so... tired... of... superhero... movies... Just stop (wishful thinking). It's like a once great tv show that keeps adding on season after season. Do you want ice cream for every meal?

Just got back from this.  Miles better than Age Of Ultron, but, like you said, a step beneath The Winter Soldier.  I'll give it a missed by an inch birdie putt for par.  

Corey

I liked civil war and would give it a tap in birdie, but age of ultron was better with a hole out eagle.

I don't want to give anything way, so I'll just keep it at that.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I slept through about thirty minutes of Civil War.

There is a sameness, repetitiveness, I dunno what you'd call it, clinicality to all these movies. They're fun, but I don't feel the need to buy them to watch at home. And part of the reason I watch them is to stay attune of pop culture rather than for the movie itself. Yes, they'll stop making these when people stop watching them and I'm totally guilty of watching them. 

One thing I noticed. Most movies will mention Academy Award winners and noms. CA:CW is full of them. Hurt and Tomei both won an Oscar. Downey, Cheadle, Renner were nominated for one or more. I get it. It's a tentpole comic book movie, who cares. Just thought it was interesting.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

There is a sameness, repetitiveness, I dunno what you'd call it, clinicality to all these movies. They're fun, but I don't feel the need to buy them to watch at home. And part of the reason I watch them is to stay attune of pop culture rather than for the movie itself. Yes, they'll stop making these when people stop watching them and I'm totally guilty of watching them. 

One thing I noticed. Most movies will mention Academy Award winners and noms. CA:CW is full of them. Hurt and Tomei both won an Oscar. Downey, Cheadle, Renner were nominated for one or more. I get it. It's a tentpole comic book movie, who cares. Just thought it was interesting.

Maybe formulaic is the word? I know for me, the length of the fight scenes does me in, they just go on for so long. I did enjoy the part with Tony meeting Peter and Peter's "unusually attractive" aunt....LOL. Marissa Tomei is still smoking hot.

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I slept through about thirty minutes of Civil War.

For me the part that seemed almost boring to me is the villain came across as a two-bite Joker-style character with not much motivation at all.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

He said his family lived outside of Sokovia. This means his family wasn't killed by the avengers, as he stated, but that his family was killed by the giant freaking city that came down on their heads. They would've died along with every other human on the planet if the avenger's hadn't stepped in to save the world. The dude's motivation was literally the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The lady at the elevator had more of a reason to dislike the avengers than he did, and she already had a flimsy arguement( "My son was on a floating city that was about to fall from the sky and kill him anyways, but you dropped a building on him while saving the world so I blame you for his death entirely").

Went for a turn off the brain movie - Kill Zone 2. It's available via digital on demand now, but I recommend seeing it in a theatre, saw it in an arthouse theatre (30 seats, 1 minute of previews then movie starts, well behaved audience, roomy), and imho, the experience is vastly improved.

Birdie. Not a die hard martial arts fan, but have kept up somewhat, watched Raid and Raid Redemption 2. The set pieces are awesome. There is a visceral intensity to these fights that you don't get in American movies, like Captain America : Civil War. Think of that scene where Rogers and Bucky take on Iron man - it was cool, but you didn't "feel" the punches like you do in these martial arts films.

Yes, the plot is convoluted (this one especially is), one of the threads is laugh out loud silly. But you don't go to one of these movies for the plot. There is your usual wire-fu and okay, his head hit that wall, he should be dead, but he's okay and ready to go on fighting, but the choreography was awesome.

Steve

Deadpool - Birdie. The script was excellent. Very funny.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Deadpool - Birdie. The script was excellent. Very funny.

I agree. I laughed a lot during that movie. Ryan Reynolds was hilarious. He has such great delivery of that dry humor. I liked how they bashed X-men and for Fox cutting budget a few times in the movie :) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Watched the Witch. 

Double bogey. Slow and boring and not in the least terrifying. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

this is hilarious - the worst movie posters from this years festival hoping to get picked up:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/19/cannes-market-film-posters-2016

LOL, Attack of the Killer Donuts. Homer Simpson's wet dream.

900.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

Steve

I can't believe that there's still a market for that kind of movie lol!!!

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

LOL, Attack of the Killer Donuts. Homer Simpson's wet dream.

900.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

Colin P.

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I can't believe that there's still a market for that kind of movie lol!!!

Always a market for it's so bad it's good. :-P

One word. Sharknado. 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Black Mass
The story about the infamous crime lord Whitey Bulger. It starred Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger. Benedict Cumberbatch played his brother, and US Senator Billy Bulger. This was an enthralling movie to watch. I give it a tap in Birdie. I give Johnny Depp an birdie performance. He was totally convincing playing Whitey Bulger. 

Kung Fury
This is a little gem I found when I was hanging out with my friends just skimming through Netflix. This is a movie that was crowd funded through kickstarter. It has that cheesy 80's action movie coupled with cheesy kung-fu movie feel to it. It just works brilliantly to give you an over the top 30 minutes of enjoyment. I give it an birdie for outstanding exaggerated fun and enjoyment. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Captain America: Civil War - Birdie

A great end the Captain America Trilogy.  Great story, Robert Downey Jr., was really good in this movie, along with tons of fights and some good laughs from Ant Man and Spider Man, plus the introduction of the Black Panther.

Pretty good way to spend Memorial Day evening.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

The Lobster - birdie. Very eclectic movie, not for everyone, basically a satire mocking society's extreme pressure to pair people together and mocks individualists as well. 

Steve