IGNORED

Brandel Gives Tiger an F/ Tiger's Agent Hints at Legal Action Against Chamblee

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger probably had that clout pre-2008, but not anymore. Plus, Tiger actually needs the media as much as they need him these days. He is not bigger than NBC and the Golf Channel.

Disagree 99.99%.

Brandel is a pompous, opinionated person but I think it is pretty much what the Golf Channel expects out of him. He's a studio guy and I don't se him out on the golf course or in press conferences asking questions. He's not going anywhere.

Agree 100.01%.

:-P

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of libel and slander statutes?  When threatened with legal action, the accused just says he was stating an opinion and case closed.  Seems rather easy to get away with saying or writing just about anything you like.

I think it kind of a stretch to suggest there is anything libelous about what Chamblee said. He suggested that Tiger was "cavalier" with the rules. Pretty accurate assessment, IMO, especially what he did at the Masters. Tiger didn't necessarily cheat, but I am sure that he knows the rules as well or better than most and he had a brain fart that should have cost him a DQ. Pretty cavalier on his part. He should have known better.

Bill M

I think it kind of a stretch to suggest there is anything libelous about what Chamblee said. He suggested that Tiger was "cavalier" with the rules. Pretty accurate assessment, IMO, especially what he did at the Masters. Tiger didn't necessarily cheat, but I am sure that he knows the rules as well or better than most and he had a brain fart that should have cost him a DQ. Pretty cavalier on his part. He should have known better.

I agree about it probably not being libelous ** but moreso because he worded it carefully.  He didn't say Tiger cheated.  He told his own story then tied Tiger to it.  Some would say subtley, I wouldn't.  Either way, he was careful with his words, I think.

** I am not a lawyer.  I don't know the first damn thing about the law and what constitutes libel and slander.  I am talking out of my ass.

I agree about it probably not being libelous ** but moreso because he worded it carefully.  He didn't say Tiger cheated.  He told his own story then tied Tiger to it.  Some would say subtley, I wouldn't.  Either way, he was careful with his words, I think. ** [SIZE=8px]I am not a lawyer.  I don't know the first damn thing about the law and what constitutes libel and slander.  I am talking out of my ass.[/SIZE]

LOL! Thanks, now I have an image of Ace Ventura - Pet Detective.

Bill M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of libel and slander statutes?  When threatened with legal action, the accused just says he was stating an opinion and case closed.  Seems rather easy to get away with saying or writing just about anything you like.

More like confused the rules but that is a different thread.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

LOL! Thanks, now I have an image of Ace Ventura - Pet Detective.

Wow ... brownie points for you because that's what I was thinking of when I wrote that!! :beer: (This might also apply to Brandel in some cases)

Brandel Chamblee is the smartest man alive.

... at least, that's what my avatar commands me to say, like the painting in Ghostbusters 2.

Constantine

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Brain farts aren't the result of confusion. They are caused by a lack of thought. There was nothing about how he applied the rule that could be considered confusion. He acted quickly and confidently but what he did was not an option. He wasn't confused, he was careless and nonchalant, therefore cavalier. Chamblee is on firm ground with that assessment.

Bill M

I like Brandel's grading system, you can get as high as an A++ because you have a hot wife :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I like Brandel's grading system, you can get as high as an A++ because you have a hot wife

I was marshalling at the US Open and was walking inside the ropes on 18 during a practice round. A woman in a summer dress walked by us and just turned everybody's head. Turned out to be Amanda Dufner.and I don't think anybody even knew Dufner was playing the hole. I give Duf an A++ for that as well.

Bill M

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I didn't say that it was libelous, only that he was treading very close to the line.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Brain farts aren't the result of confusion. They are caused by a lack of thought. There was nothing about how he applied the rule that could be considered confusion. He acted quickly and confidently but what he did was not an option. He wasn't confused, he was careless and nonchalant, therefore cavalier. Chamblee is on firm ground with that assessment.

Tiger is a man just like I am. Sometimes if I am stressed or hurried I might confuse a couple of truths to focus on the main objective. It is not like he was in the trees this time, he was in plain sight of rangers and tournament officials. They let it go, which is why he didn't get DQ'd. Maybe if you were "marshaling" the masters, you could have pointed it out to him with your infinite wisdom.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I believe Brandl is allowed to abuse Tiger with a little bit more of a flogging stick since Tiger is a public figure

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee

-------------------------------------------------

For all of the warranted attention Tiger is receiving for his rules issues this year, it's really unfair to include the "incident" at the Players Championship in there.  That whole thing was idiotic ... and, by no means, an incident or controversial in the least.

[URL=http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee]http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee[/URL] ------------------------------------------------- For all of the warranted attention Tiger is receiving for his rules issues this year, it's really unfair to include the "incident" at the Players Championship in there.  That whole thing was idiotic ... and, by no means, an incident or controversial in the least.

Steiny took my "calling golfers cheaters is a really big thing" and then turned it up to 11. :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9845410/tiger-woods-agent-threatens-lawsuit-analyst-brandel-chamblee

-------------------------------------------------

For all of the warranted attention Tiger is receiving for his rules issues this year, it's really unfair to include the "incident" at the Players Championship in there.  That whole thing was idiotic ... and, by no means, an incident or controversial in the least.

I couldn't , for the life of me, remember what the "controversy" at the Player's was so I had to google it. The water hazard drop on the 14th right? Totally ridiculous "controversy" that one was**. The fact that I had to google it speaks volumes as to how asinine the whole scenario was, his COMPETITOR told him where to drop FFS! Do people think his competitors are in on it now????

:loco:

**kinda sounded a bit like Yoda there but I'm too lazy to rephrase.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Steiny dipping into the Mac O'Grady playbook.  I'm gonna sue you!  Don't think anything will actually come of this, just a PR move.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!