IGNORED

Nike Equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?

Note: This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Nike equipment holding Tiger back from winning majors?

• Yes
    • No

Who really thinks that Nike equipment is inferior to TM, Titleist, Callaway et al?

I thought that was a common perception.      I'm pretty sure it used to be the case (I know Phil was quoted saying it at one time) - by the responses to the contrary - Nike equipment must be on par with the big golf specific brands ... makes me happy, now that I have 3 Nike clubs in my bag !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You've yet to prove anything here.

Your point being...? Rory switch seems pretty self explanatory

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

So you think it's Nike clubs and not the huge Nike contract he has to live up to, his pro tennis girlfriend, problems with his management company, or the pressure of being viewed as the heir to Tigers throne.  I'd say the fact the clubs have the word Nike on them doesn't even make the top 10 on why he struggled in 2013.

Joe Paradiso

So you think it's Nike clubs and not the huge Nike contract he has to live up to, his pro tennis girlfriend, problems with his management company, or the pressure of being viewed as the heir to Tigers throne.  I'd say the fact the clubs have the word Nike on them doesn't even make the top 10 on why he struggled in 2013.

What I am saying is Nike (as a company) and not necessarily clubs.

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

So far, aside from Tiger, a lot of growing talented players endorsed by Nike fell off the wagon. Is it the clubs, is it the ton of money they pay the players, is it whatever: Nike is the common ground.

its not the clubs.  period.

Colin P.

EDIT: Last point. Tiger won 5 times this year. Are his Nike clubs self-aware enough to tell when he's playing in a major and when it's just a Tour event?

/thread

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

This is a joke right? I dont even know where to begin with this post. Again, you've done nothing to further your argument.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Rory switched to Nike and had a bad year. In no way does that mean Rory had a bad year because of Nike. Ditto Watney, Casey, etc. If you want to prove Nike hurt any of their careers you'll need more that just blind speculation.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yep, and she looks way better than Rory does ....

+1 on that!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Absolutely not.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If he was playing "off-the-shelf" Nike equipment then maybe you could make the case that changing clubs would have had some initial impact but the fact of the matter is the only thing those clubs have in common with the stock equipment is the SWOOSH. At the end of the day, Nike (like any other sponsor) benefits immensly with the success of their players and, when it comes to TIger and the publicity he draws, I'm sure they have an entire department dedicated just to making sure those clubs give him every technical advantage they can get away with within the rules.

That's a big aside you're making given Tiger is the best player golf has seen in at least the last 20 years and possibly ever.

Joe Paradiso

Nothing would benefit Nike Golf more than Tiger Woods winning a major (besides Tiger winning 5 more majors).

For that reason, I have to believe that he and Nike are doing everything they can to put exactly what Tiger wants in his bag.

(My other reason is just what changes do we expect Nike to make? Are Titleist's or Mizuno's or TaylorMade's irons really going to make a differences in Tiger's game? Is a 913D2 really going to make Tiger hit it straighter? Doubt it.)

EDIT: Last point. Tiger won 5 times this year. Are his Nike clubs self-aware enough to tell when he's playing in a major and when it's just a Tour event?

Thanks @jamo .  Now Taylormade will be advertising "self aware" golf clubs thanks to you!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks @jamo .  Now Taylormade will be advertising "self aware" golf clubs thanks to you!

The new Taylormade HAL 9000 line or woods and irons.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!