IGNORED

I am so frustrated and want to quit golf

golftlist
Note: This thread is 2337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As stupid as this may sound, get a mirror. Try to dissect your swing. Often, what you think you're doing, and what you're really doing are not the same. Between that, and watching the golf channel, my game has drastically improved. In a few months, I went from being lucky to break 100, to breaking 90. That is a massive leap. My son does the same and he is breaking 100 after a few months of golf all together. If you have a friend (golf buddy), have them watch you swing. Listen to them. As far as hand position, leg spread, back lean, etc... its a feel thing. I have a unique swing. You have a unique swing. So does everyone else. The basics are generally the same. When I first started playing and eventually my son, we both had horrible slices. Withing a month, we cured it by working with each other trying stronger grip, more upright in stance, and a bit wider in stance. Little things. Now we both hit draws 99% of the time and without any real thought. To me, you have to learn through error, and one day, it just happens. Muscle memory works wonders.

Callaway X-Hot Driver

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3,4,&5 Hybrids

Callaway FT I-Brid Irons and Wedges

Odyssey Two Ball Putter

There's a 5SK teacher in Long Island, that's closer than Erie. I've driven to Erie from NYC and Erik was super accommodating. If he or whomever know you're coming out from aways, they will take good care of you. I hope to go back for another lesson, maybe next year.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's a 5SK teacher in Long Island, that's closer than Erie. I've driven to Erie from NYC and Erik was super accommodating. If he or whomever know you're coming out from aways, they will take good care of you. I hope to go back for another lesson, maybe next year.

I go down to NYC on average once a month so something to look into. Carpool to Erie!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I go down to NYC on average once a month so something to look into.

Carpool to Erie!

Ha ha, last time I took the overnight Bolt Bus to Pittsburgh and then Zipcar'd it to Erie. My recommendation - don't do that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/71085/i-am-so-frustrated-and-want-to-quit-golf/36#post_922275"] I go down to NYC on average once a month so something to look into. Carpool to Erie![/QUOTE] Ha ha, last time I took the overnight Bolt Bus to Pittsburgh and then Zipcar'd it to Erie. My recommendation - don't do that.

Haha, I've taken my golf clubs on bus trips before so I have an idea about what you're talking about

Christian

Haha, I've taken my golf clubs on bus trips before so I have an idea about what you're talking about

Ha ha. I didn't think about that. I didn't take many clubs, that wasn't the problem. It's overnighting it in a crampy bus. The Zipcar was very close to the bus, so no problems transferring.

Steve

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/71085/i-am-so-frustrated-and-want-to-quit-golf/36#post_922293"] Haha, I've taken my golf clubs on bus trips before so I have an idea about what you're talking about[/QUOTE] Ha ha. I didn't think about that. I didn't take many clubs, that wasn't the problem. It's overnighting it in a crampy bus. The Zipcar was very close to the bus, so no problems transferring.

I've done overnight on a train but never a bus. Seems like that'd be brutal. Haha

Christian

• Administrator

AmTrak used to have a station here. Was only 8 hours from NYC. Of course, you arrived at about 3:30am…

I dated a girl in Brooklyn for five years. She once took Greyhound from NYC to Lima, OH. Got stuck in snow and they were delayed 24 hours. People didn't really have cell phones back then. Oy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well ... here's why I'm taking my rig to GoodWill tomorrow ...

... at my job, I'm know as "A Golfer".  That means I'm expected to go to every Golf Scramble, every Client Event, and every other such outing.

I absolutely HATE that.  I'm not very good.  It's not fun to try to play with those people watching.

Hell ... the game is not fun anyway.  One good shot, two bad shots, and one that doesn't even leave the damn ground - while everyone else drinks and spouts "Golf - you gotta' love it".

Keep the game.  Please.

I've taken lessons - it does not work.

Look ... enjoy the game.  I understand - for people like y'all ... quitting this game is the equivalent of quitting The Church.

And that's what I'm doing.  It felt good to say so.  Still does.

I've taken lessons - it does not work. Look ... enjoy the game.  I understand - for people like y'all ... quitting this game is the equivalent of quitting The Church. And that's what I'm doing.  It felt good to say so.  Still does.

Hmmm.. I'll bite. Sounds like you're still bitter about your golfing experience... Lets hear more! :~(

Well ... here's why I'm taking my rig to GoodWill tomorrow ... ... at my job, I'm know as "A Golfer".  That means I'm expected to go to every Golf Scramble, every Client Event, and every other such outing. I absolutely HATE that.  I'm not very good.  It's not fun to try to play with those people watching. Hell ... the game is not fun anyway.  One good shot, two bad shots, and one that doesn't even leave the damn ground - while everyone else drinks and spouts "Golf - you gotta' love it". Keep the game.  Please.

Wait, you essentially get... p.p.p.paid... to... play...g.golf? Can we trade places? :-) You need to talk to us, we need to fix whatever golfing ailments you might have...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[quote name="ScoggDog" url="/t/71085/i-am-so-frustrated-and-want-to-quit-golf/36#post_922380"]Well ... here's why I'm taking my rig to GoodWill tomorrow ... ... at my job, I'm know as "A Golfer".  That means I'm expected to go to every Golf Scramble, every Client Event, and every other such outing. I absolutely HATE that.  I'm not very good.  It's not fun to try to play with those people watching. Hell ... the game is not fun anyway.  One good shot, two bad shots, and one that doesn't even leave the damn ground - while everyone else drinks and spouts "Golf - you gotta' love it". Keep the game.  Please.

Wait, you essentially get... p.p.p.paid... to... play...g.golf? Can we trade places? :-) You need to talk to us, we need to fix whatever golfing ailments you might have...[/quote] Or we'll just take turns filling in for you at these events. :)

Christian

To the O.P.:  The only thing about golf that is intuitive or obvious is that a club has a handle, shaft and head.  And that we're supposed to hit the ball with the correct end of the club.  Everything else must be taught, learned or pointed out to us several times by others who are more knowledgeable.

Good for you going the lessons route.  Here are a couple of ideas that might help with the initial 'feel' of the game.

My wife is still a relatively new player just completing her 5th season this year.  While she was learning we did things like:

1. Swing the club like a baseball bat to get the feeling of her right hand rolling through the swing

2. Using the baseball swing, hold off the club and rotate body to pull the club through the swing.  Huge revelation for my wife on how much faster the club swung when the body rotation was incorporated in the swing.

3. Get this feel; bend over and put club on ground.  Hit 1/2 swing 7-irons off of short tees.  All of a sudden, she was making solid contact, using her body to initiate the swing and hitting 7-irons about 60 yards using a 1/2 swing.  She now hits a 7-iron about 100 yards from anywhere on the course.  And solid, too!

Last thought:  You've got to give this activity some serious time and commitment.  It's truly a game where you put in quarters (effort) and are 'lucky' to get back dimes (results) in return.  If you have basic athletic ability, you'll get there.  You won't be shooting par anytime soon, but will improve to the point where you can truly enjoy the game of golf.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Everyone has their moments of doubt, it really depends how much you love the game and are willing to work at it. Keep on trying, practice hard and with a positive outlook. Always know that with every stroke, every swing, every putt, every chip, every pitch, and every tee shot, you're one step closer to coming to your full potential. Practice hard, practice often.

Note: This thread is 2337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!