IGNORED

Holy crap, I'm gonna play golf with Graeme McDowell!

David in FL
Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope my 96 guess did not offend.....lol.....85 was not bad considering the circumstance. Who all was in your group? A few guys you normally play with? That would suck if you had to tell one of your normal 4 some that he couldn't go.

Had to be a blast.

Good God no, it didn't offend!  I really was hoping to keep it under 90 (with a private little, completely unrealistic dream of breaking 80) but mid-90's under the circumstances wasn't out of the question at all!  Truth be told, I'm actually pretty pleased with the 85 all things considered.

I'll try to have a full report later this morning.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/71403/holy-crap-im-gonna-play-golf-with-graeme-mcdowell/198#post_929046"]   [QUOTE name="bplewis24" url="/t/71403/holy-crap-im-gonna-play-golf-with-graeme-mcdowell/198#post_929040"]   Ho-hum, 63.  Funny how we have guys running around here shooting 75, thinking they're " this close " to becoming pro. [/QUOTE] Yes. Not surprising, but he is ranked 12th in the world. [/QUOTE] I had to keep reminding myself that.  Think about it.  I'm a decent player, but there are HUNDREDS of much better players here in the Orlando area alone .  There are only 11 better golfers in the ENTIRE STINKIN' WORLD than him. After yesterday, I believe it.

Again, Orlando is a hotbed for the best golfers in the world. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Ho-hum, 63.  Funny how we have guys running around here shooting 75, thinking they're "this close" to becoming pro.

Yes. Not surprising, but he is ranked 12th in the world.

Hell the guy ranked 10,000 would probably shoot at least 67, a 75 even at this place would be a very bad day for any world ranked player, however I do get amused to say the least at some of our "soon to be tour pro's" around here, ( wish they would share whatever it is their smoking some times) :blink: .

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Ho-hum, 63.  Funny how we have guys running around here shooting 75, thinking they're "this close" to becoming pro.

Actually I think the guys who shoot 75 have a pretty good understanding of what it really takes. It's the clowns that shoot low 90's and then have a breakout 82 and just figure if they put in the same amount of work they have up until now the next step will happen just as easy.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Yes. Not surprising, but he is ranked 12th in the world.

Hell the guy ranked 10,000 would probably shoot at least 67, a 75 even at this place would be a very bad day for any world ranked player, however I do get amused to say the least at some of our "soon to be tour pro's" around here, ( wish they would share whatever it is their smoking some times).

You exaggerate, the top 1000 golfers would shoot 67. The other 9000 would shoot 68. B-)

10,000th? 69

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Had to have been freaky watching a pro shoot 63. If I shoot 78 I feel like I am swinging like Adam Scott, and I talk about it for a week, us hacks are pathetic.

Dave :-)

I wonder if a pro would play better in a casual round like that or worse. Would be hard to tell unless the course was the same but it could go either way. I suppose it depends on whether less pressure equals more relaxed and playing better or if less pressure equals loss of competitive focus.

I would guess that he would play better in a Tour competition much like I play much better in a club championship than playing a round with my wife, but I'm not sure.

You exaggerate, the top 1000 golfers would shoot 67. The other 9000 would shoot 68.

10,000th? 69

Although this is somewhat of a thread-hijack, it is slightly related to the subject...but I'll still make it brief:

A few months ago I was looking at country clubs, and several offered to allow me to play 9 holes with current members.  At one of them I was paired with a guy who was a +2 handicap.  Through 8 holes on 72.0/135 rated course (Granite Bay Golf Club, Granite Bay, CA), he was 5 under.  He bogied the 9th hole (hit into the line of the water hazard, played it out, missed a 10 foot putt for par) to finish 4 under through 9.  He admitted it was the easier 9, but let's assume he plays the back 9 at even par and shoots 68.  That's a guy who is nowhere close to the pro circuit, and he shoots 68 on a tough track, and he barely even warmed up.

My guess is that Graeme, without making anything over 10 feet, shooting 63 as a top 12 player in the world is not abnormal for him, but neither would it be abnormal for the 100th ranked guy, or the 250th ranked guy.  On bad days, sure they could be significantly higher.  Spencer Levin is a local guy to my area.  I know he holds the official course record at Valley Hi CC with a 63 or a 65.  My understanding is he routinely shoots anywhere from there to high 60s.  He's a top 60-ish player on tour I believe.  Those guys probably all live in that scoring range.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

There are approximately 60 million people who currently play the game of golf worldwide, I played last year with a +3 player and he said he is in the top 1%. 600,000 players in that top 1%. There is a huge amount of very good players in the world.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

There are approximately 60 million people who currently play the game of golf worldwide, I played last year with a +3 player and he said he is in the top 1%. 600,000 players in that top 1%. There is a huge amount of very good players in the world.

I thought the number of scratch players is on the order of 0.1%, and the man you played is a +3. That percentage is probably a lot less than that.

If so, the percentage might be more like in the top 0.05% (???) which is still 30,000 players.

Man, just thinking about this and the fact that the top 30,000 and the top 10,000 players might have as little as a couple strokes difference.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Man, just thinking about this and the fact that the top 30,000 and the top 10,000 players might have as little as a couple strokes difference.

And what's even crazier is that, in a casual round, on any given day, the #10,000 guy can beat the #12 guy in the world.  We even see it happen in the US Open where some kid (who is likely in the top several hundred players???) will outplay several people in the top 25.  But usually, in tournaments, over the course of 2-4 days, is where those top 10, 25, and 100 guys separate themselves.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

What a great day. Unbelievable!!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 2623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!