IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll give up honors on a tee if I feel the group in front is too close and I know other players can hit safely, I'll just say I'm not ready and whoever is go ahead rather than I could still reach them so nobody feels like they are dismissing themselves as a short knocker, or for myself if I happen to top the thing 120 yards :whistle: .

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

y[quote name="Pretzel" url="/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088068"]I Nobody's ever had a problem with it, and your position is entirely unique in the game. I've seen golfers go ahead ALL the time, at every level of the game: PGA Tour, weekend duffer, etc.[/quote] A bit disingenuous don't you think?..........really and what research did you do on this? A quick search in Google and found this: http://golfrewound.com/forums/general-golf-discussion/11606-etiquette-walking-riding-ahead-1.html Apparently there are many others with the same unique view.

y

A bit disingenuous don't you think?..........really and what research did you do on this?

A quick search in Google and found this: http://golfrewound.com/forums/general-golf-discussion/11606-etiquette-walking-riding-ahead-1.html

Apparently there are many others with the same unique view.

Just a heads up, you might want to double check your quotes. Iacas said that, not me, but I agree with it wholeheartedly.

I would assume the research that Iacas has done is related to the fact that he is a PGA certified golf professional with years of experience. It quite literally relates to his job to know the rules and etiquette of golf. You can bet that he's done quite a bit of "research" in person if he loves the game enough to make it a career.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walk ahead all the time. I stop when they are hitting and never far enough to where I could be a distraction. Nowhere have I ever heard this to be a breach of etiquette.

- Shane

I walked ahead to my ball last week, (halfway down a par 5) middle of fairway, my friend was 40yrds behind me in rough, I left my bag by the ball and walked to safety at edge of fairway, good job too, he thinned his ball, straight at my bag, direct hit smashing my titleist torque wrench to peices! 2 foot higher he could have broke a club! Valuable lesson learned that day.... Don't play golf with hackers! I mean, don't take chances, keep yourself and your equipment out of other peoples way! The thing with me is, there's etiquette and there's pace of play, sometimes I will waive etiquette in favour of pace of play, my etiquette, or lack of, occasionally gets mentioned, but my pace of play has never been a problem!

Gaz Lee

I'll give up honors on a tee if I feel the group in front is too close and I know other players can hit safely, I'll just say I'm not ready and whoever is go ahead rather than I could still reach them so nobody feels like they are dismissing themselves as a short knocker, or for myself if I happen to top the thing 120 yards:whistle: .

Do you insist on honors otherwise?

Colin P.

For me it is equally tedious when golfers measure every shot with laser or GPS, thus adding notable amounts of time to a round.  I know this criticism is bound to generate some comments here, and I look forward to understanding how acquiring exact distances merits the extra time, unless there's something significant on the line.  I really understand the using range finders when your way off the fairway.  When you're on the fairway and can see where your ball is relative to a distance marker, no decent golfer needs to hold up play for an exact measurement.  If we all held up play to measure every shot, the round would take forever and even the slowest foursomes would pile up behind you.  I have never seen a range finder actively employed that did not hold up play.  Pace of play is my number one concern.

I'm not sure who you play with but I use a GPS on my phone and now a rangefinder and it doesn't slow me down any.  It might be because I'm rarely the shortest hitter in a group so I can walk to my ball and get a reading while a shorter hitter is preparing for their shot.

Are you advocating not using either of these devices during a round?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm not sure who you play with but I use a GPS on my phone and now a rangefinder and it doesn't slow me down any.  It might be because I'm rarely the shortest hitter in a group so I can walk to my ball and get a reading while a shorter hitter is preparing for their shot.   Are you advocating not using either of these devices during a round?

Same here. Use of these devices is much faster than pacing off yardage from sprinkler heads. I've used both and

- Shane

Just a heads up, you might want to double check your quotes. Iacas said that, not me, but I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Sorry about misattributing the quote, not having much success with the quote buttons/ multiquote buttons despite the directed tutorial [quote name="Pretzel" url="/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/162#post_1088249"] I would assume the research that Iacas has done is related to the fact that he is a PGA certified golf professional with years of experience. It quite literally relates to his job to know the rules and etiquette of golf. You can bet that he's done quite a bit of "research" in person if he loves the game enough to make it a career. [/quote] its there in black and white for you, Iacas clearly hasn't done the research and unfortunately despite his said PGA certification and position as an administrator I find his manner quite off putting(they do teach customer relations to PGA professionals?) and indeed he seems out of touch with those that aren't experts at the game and actively seeks to try and put down those that aren't able to hit with laser preision, says it all in these two quotes + indeed the research he hasn't done: [quote name="iacas" url="/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187"] You weren't "blocked" from editing by anyone. The site simply limits edits to a 9-minute window. [/quote] ......the fact is I was blocked from editing..........whether it was a real person or a real administrator that setup the protocol is irrelevant! [quote name="iacas" url="/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187"] , lots of other threads here. If you want to shoot lower scores and be more confident in your shotmaking and the direction of your misses, hit up the Swing Thoughts section of the site in particular. [/quote] at my club we have had a lot of tour players through and have played with many of them, they regularly outdrive members by 80 yards+ yetthey respect our abilities and don't move forward until we have hit.....and likewise we don't move past them when our second shots go past their drives!

• Administrator

@sac1 : You really should consider posting elsewhere. I think you're going to form opinions of people based on one very small aspect of the game.

A bit disingenuous don't you think?..........really and what research did you do on this?

I never said I did "research." I've simply never seen anyone have a problem with it. I have a lot of experience playing golf with people, at every level of the game. I've caddied or played at literally every level.

A quick search in Google and found this: http://golfrewound.com/forums/general-golf-discussion/11606-etiquette-walking-riding-ahead-1.html

I skimmed that thread and very few people in that thread support your position. Most say they don't care about moving ahead so long as you look back and are aware of what's going on.

its there in black and white for you, Iacas clearly hasn't done the research

Again, I never said I'd done "research." I have played a lot of golf with a lot of people of various levels, though, and when I said that your position is unique in the game I meant that you're in a very, very small minority.

unfortunately despite his said PGA certification and position as an administrator I find his manner quite off putting (they do teach customer relations to PGA professionals?)

Huh?

indeed he seems out of touch with those that aren't experts at the game and actively seeks to try and put down those that aren't able to hit with laser preision, says it all in these two quotes

Huh x 2?

I disagree with you and think that you're in a very small minority, but at no point have I "put down" those who are not able to break 90 or whatever.

......the fact is I was blocked from editing..........whether it was a real person or a real administrator that setup the protocol is irrelevant!

If it's irrelevant, why are we still talking about it? What does it matter? I was simply clarifying that the site has a nine-minute edit window in case you thought someone "blocked" you from editing or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was simply clarifying that the site has a nine-minute edit window in case you thought someone "blocked" you from editing or something.

Hmm Subterfuge

Here is what I said:

Originally Posted by sac1

apologies above, Ive got what pretzel and icacus said mixed, Id fix it but was blocked from editing.

I wasn't complaining or accusing anyone, just stating a fact.

You could have said,  "admin has decided on a 9min limit on editing", rather than this caustic statement:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You weren't "blocked" from editing by anyone. The site simply limits edits to a 9-minute window.

Originally Posted by iacas

@sac1: You really should consider posting elsewhere. I think you're going to form opinions of people based on one very small aspect of the game.

perhaps its time to move on yourself when this is your final response to people who don't agree with you.

• Administrator
I wasn't complaining or accusing anyone, just stating a fact.

You could have said,  "admin has decided on a 9min limit on editing", rather than this caustic statement:

Quote:

You weren't "blocked" from editing by anyone. The site simply limits edits to a 9-minute window.

I'm at a complete loss as to how that's caustic.

Since it's December 26th for you, I hope you had a merry Christmas.

Now, back to the topic…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@sac1 in five decades of golf PLAYING at every level of the game I have never seen more than about ten people who had a problem with people going ahead so long as they were aware of what was going on behind them. Edit: Seriously, go look at other threads. You seem to be getting worked up over nothing. We have more in common than not here at TS T.
  • Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I certainly don't want anyone distracting me or in my way when I get ready to hit, but I don't want them stopping by my shot when they should be going to their ball or get closer to it in order to be ready to hit. As long as someone is quiet and not moving, I don't care where they are. I'll hit over their head it need be. Haven't killed anyone yet. I believe in match play, if your ball hits an opponent and they are ahead of you, you win the hole. Maybe I'll start aiming for them. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Quote:

You're not really for real, are you, sac1? I mean, you can't be.

I've seen folks with that type of attitude in movies and on TV, but not in real life.

John

I'm not sure who you play with but I use a GPS on my phone and now a rangefinder and it doesn't slow me down any.  It might be because I'm rarely the shortest hitter in a group so I can walk to my ball and get a reading while a shorter hitter is preparing for their shot.

Are you advocating not using either of these devices during a round?

no, I already wrote what I think.  I think if the shortest hitters in your group all measured every shot, then your group would routinely play a five hour round.  Maybe your guys all measure their distance and have learned to do it with such efficiency that I'm wrong.  I have never seen four golfers all measuring distance when the pace wasn't that of grazing mastadons.  I like to have measurement when I'm way out in the rough, but I still don't bother because the game is just as fun when I guess my distance.  When I'm hitting a shot from the rough I rarely manage consistent distance anyway.

no, I already wrote what I think.  I think if the shortest hitters in your group all measured every shot, then your group would routinely play a five hour round.  Maybe your guys all measure their distance and have learned to do it with such efficiency that I'm wrong.  I have never seen four golfers all measuring distance when the pace wasn't that of grazing mastadons.  I like to have measurement when I'm way out in the rough, but I still don't bother because the game is just as fun when I guess my distance.  When I'm hitting a shot from the rough I rarely manage consistent distance anyway.

I guess the only I can say is that each us decides for ourselves what constitutes, " something significant," being, "on the line."

Out of my roughly ten golfing friends, I know of only one other one that uses a rangefinder and another one that uses a GPS so I'm not sure what it would be like if a foursome all used a device.  My guess is if they all cared about the pace of play and were all proficient in using the devices, you wouldn't see much if any delay.

We all play golf for our own reasons so whereas you find the game just as fun when you guess your distance, personally, I'm the type of person that likes to have exacting information.  Because I like to play different courses and don't have a home course, there are times, especially if I'm playing a new course, I don't really know how accurate all the distance markers are.  There's a course that I'll occasionally play on, and pretty much only during the winter when it's one of the few courses that stays open, where the distance that it says on the tee boxes are all off, and more than a few by 30 or 40 yards.  So, if it's not giving me an accurate distance from the tee box, I 'm not going to trust it anywhere else.

I'm also horrible at estimating distances and don't remember the layout of all the greens of the courses I play.  Therefore, say I'm in between the 150 and 100 yard markers (to what I would assume to be to the center of the green) and I'm playing a round on a course where the flag doesn't indicate if the pin is in the front, middle, or back, I like to be able to shoot it to know the exact distance and get a sense of where I should plan on hitting the ball.

And because I'm horrible at estimating distances, it's good to know how far I have to carry the ball if there's a bunker, water hazard, or some other obstacle that will make my score go up.

I feel the more information I know, the better off I'll be.  I'm a super high HC at the moment but I'm honest with myself in my scoring and want to get better and if these devices can help me as I improve without delaying anyone, I don't see an issue with using either one.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

because the game is just as fun when I guess my distance.

For me, it's even more fun. In fact, I'd say the yardage "guesstimates" are one of the most enjoyable parts of the game.

I don't know exactly how far I hit all of my clubs, either, and don't particularly care to find out. I base everything off three of them: pitching wedge (approximately 100 yards), 7-iron (150) and 5-wood (200) and then go from there. I mis-hit a fair number of shots, but rarely do I mis-club myself and almost never at my home course.

Due to the proliferation of measuring devices, I'd be in favor of a new etiquette credo – don't give someone else their yardage unless that person asks for it. I played recently with a member of my club whom I know fairly well, but had never shared a cart with before. As I got out to prepare for my second shot on No. 1, he asked, "Do you want numbers?" I told him, "No, thanks." Then he asked, "Just for this shot, or none of them." My answer was, "None."

I really appreciated him asking instead of just taking them and blurting them out all day, like quite a few guys I've played with are prone to do. We got along famously.

John

Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!