IGNORED

Lob Wedge - Is it only useful in expert hands?

Skenny
Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why would they lose more shots, do you think the lob wedge "encourages" them to play shots they shouldn't be playing?  Like flop shots or something?

I think he means it encourages players to try shots that they don't practice nearly enough to call it an option, but since they "pull off" the occasional flop shot a foot from the hole they think it's in the bag.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I think he means it encourages players to try shots that they don't practice nearly enough to call it an option, but since they "pull off" the occasional flop shot a foot from the hole they think it's in the bag.

I guess I wasn't aware that the lob wedge had this "stigma" about it.  Funny thing is, in "expert" hands a player can flop wedges in a variety of lofts, flops aren't exclusive to lob wedges.  Most expert short game players don't have wedges  60* or more, it's just not needed with good technique.  Just too much loft, shots can come off dead.  Phil is different, he takes pretty long/hard swings when he's using his 62* or 64*.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

meh - I have a 46 a 50 a 56 and a 60

all wedges all the same options for choking and short swings and chips and pitches - all I need to know what lies and shots I can hit with them.  It's just an extension of the range of shots I have available.  The 60 isn't magic - it's just another step.  Look, I can take a comfy swing for this 60 instead of an in between swing for my 56.  I might choose the 60.  Look, I'm really deep in the bunker, I need a really full swing but even more loft to clear that edge - I might just choose my 60 this time.  I'm not feeling it and the lie is goofy, 60 stays in the bag and I might have to take my medicine with longer putt coming back.....

And, if I'm comfy with my 60, then I suspect I'm even MORE comfy with my 56.......

I've yet to have the 60 magically calls to my mind to try the backwards full swing Phil Michelson reverse flop.  (though now that sounds like a fun shot to play with, I might learn something unexpected)

"Having more Options" - I don't see any down side to practicing all sorts of shots and options just to learn my limits and to stretch my abilities.  I think it'll create a better golfer.  If i'm doing face angle drills, I sure hope someone doesn't think I'm uppity.  I just want to be able to control my contact better.  I doesn't mean I won't just hit my stock swing the entire round (all those 'interesting' shots are cool to have, but the goal is play good enough to not need to choose that shot), but even then, I'm certain it helps me be even more consistent with my stock swing.  Others might be more mechanical and experimenting might confuse their muscle memory.  OK,  different strokes.  but I won't decide for myself without trying first - avoiding preconceived notions.  So far so good.

Bill - 

I hardly use my 60 degree wedge. Maybe If I need to hit something super high with little spin. I personally rather flight the ball with a lot of spin on it. It is easier to control, and judge distance. Flop shots, unless you are Phil, are not reliable for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Why would they lose more shots, do you think the lob wedge "encourages" them to play shots they shouldn't be playing?  Like flop shots or something?

Partially, but as you said, a flop shot is easily played with proper technique with wedges of lesser loft too.

More than that though, I think the higher lofted clubs need a more consistent swing, along with correct technique to avoid fatting or thinning.  Too many players also try to use them for full shots which leads to more problems, and of course, most off-the-rack LW's have very little bounce.

Overall, less skilled players will make some good shots, but I think they'll miss more than any incremental improvement they'd get over playing the same shot with their lower loft, higher bounce SW.  Net result, more strokes over the course of the season.

Of course, there are exceptions that prove the rule........but then, everyone thinks that they're one of the exceptions, don't they? ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had a vokey 60/4 and l couldn't hit it to save my life. I ffound this forum and now understand what bounce is and how it works. I don't currently own a 60 but knowing how to utilize the bounce I don't see any reason why anyone can't hit a 60 if it has enough bounce. I own a 58/14 and I love it. I didn't get a 60 because I wanted a consistent gap in my wedges. I feel like beginners are very uninformed on how to purchase and use a lob wedge. With the right information I think anyone can use a 60.

Partially, but as you said, a flop shot is easily played with proper technique with wedges of lesser loft too.

More than that though, I think the higher lofted clubs need a more consistent swing, along with correct technique to avoid fatting or thinning.  Too many players also try to use them for full shots which leads to more problems, and of course, most off-the-rack LW's have very little bounce.

Overall, less skilled players will make some good shots, but I think they'll miss more than any incremental improvement they'd get over playing the same shot with their lower loft, higher bounce SW.  Net result, more strokes over the course of the season.

Of course, there are exceptions that prove the rule........but then, everyone thinks that they're one of the exceptions, don't they?

I had a vokey 60/4 and l couldn't hit it to save my life. I ffound this forum and now understand what bounce is and how it works. I don't currently own a 60 but knowing how to utilize the bounce I don't see any reason why anyone can't hit a 60 if it has enough bounce. I own a 58/14 and I love it. I didn't get a 60 because I wanted a consistent gap in my wedges. I feel like beginners are very uninformed on how to purchase and use a lob wedge. With the right information I think anyone can use a 60.

Yeah agree, they tend to make lob wedges with not even close to enough bounce.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

My 56 sw has 8* bounce, which is JUST enough for rough and sand around the green as I can increase the bounce by opening face a little, but can still be used for full shots and tight lies(for me) but my 62* lw is 6* which again is right for tight lies and short rough around the green, but almost useless in fluffy sand or thick rough! (For me) So I'd say it's really quite important to choose the 2 wedges together that counter each other and provide you with alternative options! I find my sw very versatile, whereas I only use my lob wedge to hop bunkers around greens, if more of my approach shots were on the green I probably hardly ever use it! I hope to improve my approach iron shots so I can ditch the lw if I'm honest!

Gaz Lee

I don't understand how more bounce hurts on tight lies?

Well I used to have a sw with huge bounce, great in bunkers and rough but it would always hit the ground first on tight lies resulting in major skull/blade shots that would fly over the green, I know my techniques not the best but by getting a lower bounce saw that problem disappeared almost instantly!

Gaz Lee

I use the quickie pitching technique so I don't have that problem around the greens even off tight lies. On full shots you should be creating forward shaft lean so that decreases the bounce anyway. Im probably wrong but I don't think bounce creates skull shots. From what I understand about bounce it just makes the club glide along not actually bounce off the ground.

I don't understand how more bounce hurts on tight lies?

A high leading edge - where the bounce starts soon - will lead to blading on very tight lies where your hands are even or behind the ball - IOW, if you're using the club's loft or adding it.

When selecting a wedge, one needs to look at the sole grind.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I would agree with that, it's a very dangerous club when in the wrong hands.

I had a 64* starting out and thought I was Phil M for a while, it was being used for everything around the green and costing me a lot of shots.

I still have it in the bag but it is only used for green-side bunkers and the very rare occasion where it is necessary to use it around the green, maybe once every 2 or 3 rounds on average.

that sounds about right for me too.  I also use it in the 50-60 yard range if the lie is compatable, it fits my swing there best and sometimes the SW shot is just too delicate there.  (Above is a couple things I'm learning from other posters about why my SW would be trouble in that area, something for me to think on)

Bill - 

I use the quickie pitching technique so I don't have that problem around the greens even off tight lies. On full shots you should be creating forward shaft lean so that decreases the bounce anyway. Im probably wrong but I don't think bounce creates skull shots. From what I understand about bounce it just makes the club glide along not actually bounce off the ground.

Your probably right! But Like I say, my technique was not the best, and the sole grind does play a part, but for me I got and still get better results with a mid to low bounce,

Gaz Lee

Your probably right! But Like I say, my technique was not the best, and the sole grind does play a part, but for me I got and still get better results with a mid to low bounce,

You probably or more of a picker, nipper, sweeper -- if  your wedge digs on you sometimes, check the leading edge for sharpness, and have someone dull it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think ANYBODY can benefit from a lob wedge - difference is I see high handicappers often using it way too much.     IMHO, I think all of us but the better players should approach the lob wedge as a specialty club - not to be used for routine chipping or sand shots, but for getting out of TROUBLE.    Such as finding yourself in the rough with a short sided pin; if you're on a downslope off the green & need loft to clear the bank & stop the ball; etc.     I have an ultra lob 64 that I occasionally bag when I know I'm going to be faced with these conditions - find its way less problematic than opening up a lesser lofted wedge.   It has it's place, but should be used SPARINGLY !!!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I've had a 60* in my bag since the very beginning of time.

And keep in mind, many have described me as being "older than dirt"

So, the point of using this versatile club, a player can develop many skills and various uses as with any wedge.

They are very few times, I play this club using a full swing.

My use is mainly around the green and short green side bunkers, deep bunkers, and green side rough.

I also play it for many short shots off the fairway. It's great for a pitch shot which I would like to check and spin back.

Also, very good for a slightly higher shot which will land and stop dead.

Keep in mind, under the same circumstances, a player can accomplish results with optional wedge play.

When I walk up to the green which I have missed, I always grab the "P, Gap and Lob wedges and putter"

and survey the situation before selecting my play.

I occasionally switch the Gap for a Sand when course criteria calls for demands using a Sand.

And sometimes, I will carry four wedges and drop out the FW or 3 iron.

Having versatile options is a key part of the game.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!