IGNORED

Scratches after the first use?

AcatreN
Note: This thread is 3742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time?

Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

Hi there,

I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time?

Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

Yep.   Nothing unusual there.  You're hitting hard objects that have sand and dirt on them with considerable force.  You're gonna get scratches and dings.

Nothing that will affect the performance of the club, in the least.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep.   Nothing unusual there.  You're hitting hard objects that have sand and dirt on them with considerable force.  You're gonna get scratches and dings.

Nothing that will affect the performance of the club, in the least.

Very sad that the sleek blue and black surface will not be as nice. One gets the impression that they will affect the next shots. In the example of my irons, they are the gray so that I do not see scratches in the same way.

Don't believe the balls that I hit with has not been anything like that. There was a driving range so think they've only been used where they stood pratice on all balls.

Hi there, I went to a driving range to test my new club that I have received. It is a fairway wood. I guess clubs are made to use and they come flaws but should expect it after the first time? [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88368/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88370/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88372/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88373/] [/URL] Is there anything to do? I am, I can point out very careful with my stuff but I want to stick must be in good visibility and give good results next year.Sure it's black so it appears lighter. It's any thing I can do?

It will happen. Black looks great but it will scratch. Fortunately it will not affect the playability of the club, only cosmetics. See below...

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Not sure what you find so upsetting. Possibly you should only buy used golf clubs in the future. They come "pre-scratched."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Just wait until you use it in a fairway bunker. The face of my fairway's look sand blasted. If you don't like that I recommend staying away from black pearl finishes. My wedges are hammered.

Dave :-)

This is why I am a big fan of used clubs. Not abused clubs but rather a well taken care of used club for like half the price.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Still will probably face a situation where even used clubs will be subject to new wear and tear. Hard dirt areas near trees, native areas just off the fairway etc. As mentioned earlier it's what happens when metal passes through dirt and makes contact with hard objects. Now if the damage comes from dropping a brand new driver on to the cart path and paint goes flying yeah that sucks.

Dave :-)

As others have said, it very common, especially with clubs that have black finishes on the face and sole.  Doesn't effect the performance of the club.  From hitting a lot of balls, tour players clubs will have the black finish worn/scratched off on the bottom of the sole and on the center of the face.

Here's my hybrid

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just adds character to the club!  Don't worry about what your clubs look like.  Take care of them and keep them clean, but don't sweat the scratches and dings, it's normal and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  Unless you wanted to tape up the sole of your clubs all the time, then they would look even worse!

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

I don't mind the scratches on the bottom and the face(as long as in the center ;-) ) but anything on top of the club does annoy me, commonly known as idiot mark, friend of mine has the bad habit of borrowing my hybrids without asking and put the club back in the bag before putting the cover back on and there you go put a nice nick across the top when it hit my 5 iron, then my 2 hybrid was in pristine condition until he hit it out of a fluffy lie BAM idiot mark, I'm getting both refinished and logo this summer and then it's hands off.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

As has been said, the little scratches won't hurt anything except the gleam from an unused club's finish.  There is sand, and the ground is usually full of small rocks and pebbles (sometimes not so small...)  Clubs that show wear are part of having clubs.  If those scratches bother you, I'd suggest keeping your car out of public parking lots!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

It will happen. Black looks great but it will scratch. Fortunately it will not affect the playability of the club, only cosmetics. See below...

I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets that they would influence the coming shots.

Not sure what you find so upsetting. Possibly you should only buy used golf clubs in the future. They come "pre-scratched."

I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets and just not golf clubs. This club, I've received so it haven't cost my any money.I like to take care of my things, whether they are expensive, cheap or something that I have received as a gift.

Just wait until you use it in a fairway bunker. The face of my fairway's look sand blasted. If you don't like that I recommend staying away from black pearl finishes. My wedges are hammered.

I have never used or seen anyone with such a club in a bunker. I usually use a sandwegde.

This is why I am a big fan of used clubs. Not abused clubs but rather a well taken care of used club for like half the price.

Like I quoted to WUTiger: I guess is very sensitive to flaws in all my gadgets and just not golf clubs. This club, I've received so it haven't cost my any money.I like to take care of my things, whether they are expensive, cheap or something that I have received as a gift.

As others have said, it very common, especially with clubs that have black finishes on the face and sole.  Doesn't effect the performance of the club.  From hitting a lot of balls, tour players clubs will have the black finish worn/scratched off on the bottom of the sole and on the center of the face.

Here's my hybrid

The pros are replacing their gadgets after a maybe max 3 seasons? Since I am not someone who can afford to buy new just like that but I would love to take care of my stuff as much as possible. Think it more noticeable on black surfaces that my club has over a gray / silver. I played also with a 7-iron on the same occasion and it felt that it had serious flaws that are not my other irons have been after all that I have used those.

So there are no scratches or any appearance that could affect the shots in the practice / theory?

Just adds character to the club!  Don't worry about what your clubs look like.  Take care of them and keep them clean, but don't sweat the scratches and dings, it's normal and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.  Unless you wanted to tape up the sole of your clubs all the time, then they would look even worse!

I get to work with this to not worry so much about scratches. What is the best to clean then? Is it using any damp cloth and then wipe with a dry golf towel?

The pros are replacing their gadgets after a maybe max 3 seasons? Since I am not someone who can afford to buy new just like that but I would love to take care of my stuff as much as possible. Think it more noticeable on black surfaces that my club has over a gray / silver. I played also with a 7-iron on the same occasion and it felt that it had serious flaws that are not my other irons have been after all that I have used those.

So there are no scratches or any appearance that could affect the shots in the practice / theory?

It depends on what the club is.  Some guys change wedges every couple of weeks and some guys have had the same set of irons for several years.  Generally players will change their equipment when the OEM they're sponsored by comes out with new stuff.

Scratches, nicks, bag chatter, all cosmetic, doesn't effect performance.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You can take care of your clubs but that won't prevent them from getting scratched up if you use them.  Scratches won't ruin their performance, so no worries.

Joe Paradiso

It's sort of like the feeling of buying a new truck and putting that first load in the bed or drive it down through the brush. You cringe a little, but that's what you bought it for. After the first tme you think nothing of it.

I get to work with this to not worry so much about scratches. What is the best to clean then? Is it using any damp cloth and then wipe with a dry golf towel?

You can get a bucket and put some dish soap and warm water in it, you only need a little bit of soap.  Let the club heads saok in the bucket for five or ten minutes, then whipe clean with a wet towel.  Then I rinse mine off in another bucket with clean water in it.  Then I dry with a towel.  Anything I'm going to put a head cover on, like the club you posted a picture of, I'm going to leave out over night or for atleast a few hours to make sure it's dry before I put the head cover back on.

Driver:        :tmade:- R11s                             GPS:        :skycaddie:- SGXW

3W:            :titleist:-910F 15*                             BAG:        :titleist:- 14 Way carry bag

Hybrid:       :titleist:910H 19*                                           :titleist:- 14 Way Cart bag

Irons 4-PW::titleist:- AP2 712

Wedges:    :vokey:- 52, 56, 60

Putter:       :cameron:- Studio Select 1.5

Ball:          :titleist:- Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!