IGNORED

Hack Golf Initiative

pusher
Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I agree with @Fourputt

.  The USGA has started two programs, Play it Forward and While We're Young, to address issues with difficulty and pace of play.  These are two of the reasons that may have contributed to the decline as some articles suggest. We haven't even given them time to work.  Play it Forward is ideal for reducing difficulty IMO.  Some courses need to add more forward tees for woman and seniors.  Woman are half the population and a huge growth opportunity.

One of my local courses is starting to do this.  On some par 3 holes, my wife would have to use a driver to my 7 iron, and I am not a long hitter.  They are adding more tees to make the club choice more even and reduce difficulty.  This is the key to adding woman to the game.  And marketing toward women is almost negligible.

I believe there are more reasons for decline, like economics and the explosion of many new sports in the last 20 years.  Adding a new way to play with different equipment will hinder more than help IMO.

Both of those iniatives are for existing golfers, four putt on the other hand is terribly misinformed on his assessment of the games & status, your club on the other hand should be commended for its efforts.

There isn't a great CEO of any company in America that does not look out for its long term growth......why that is considered bad to some people, consumers at that is beyond my comprehension. Is this an occupy wall street mentality????

Don't jump to conclusions about me, okay?  My home complex had worked on addressing this sort of issue more than 20 years ago.  They offer a quality golf experience to players of all styles and abilities.  With an 18 hole, 7000 yard championship course; a 9 hole, par 31 executive course; and a 9 hole par 3 course with holes from 80 yards to 195 yards, they can meet most any player's needs.  I feel that this sort of diversity is all that is really needed to encourage new players, junior players, and experienced players of all levels.  Special clubs, oversized holes, and other gimmicks are simply unnecessary overcomplications.

And just as an addendum:  The complex turns a $750,000 profit on a bad year.  It can approach $2,000,000 on a good one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I feel that this sort of diversity is all that is really needed to encourage new players, junior players, and experienced players of all levels.  Special clubs, oversized holes, and other gimmicks are simply unnecessary overcomplications.

In your opinion… and yet, golf is where it is today - declining in participation. "Golf as usual" isn't introducing players to the game to offset those who are dying or quitting.

And just as an addendum:  The complex turns a $750,000 profit on a bad year.  It can approach $2,000,000 on a good one.

Good for them. How many new golfers are they adding? Probably very few.

And even if they ARE adding new golfers, surely you realize not every course can build out their facilities like that?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think almost anything that gets more people into the game is a good thing. The game is in a decline and while that can be good (less crowds, lower cost), overall it is a negative. I also disagree that they will "start over" Rick. They won't. That's the point.

Agreed, if it helps the game, it's fine with me. But I think the thought that people don't play because it is hard is wrong.... People don't know it is hard until they try it, and the difficulty of the game is part of the allure. The reason a perfectly struck shot feels so good is because it didn't come easy, you had to earn it. Also the fact that it can't be perfected is what keeps people from getting bored with it. Most people think golf is "too expensive." This is what needs worked on. Courses need to better advertise their prices and specials. Golf is not always any more expensive than other hobbies, but people think it is. Everyone I talk to think a round costs $50, but if you play 9, it's more like $15, and if you play after 4, a lot places are $20 for 18! Now your talking a dollar a hole basically, not very expensive. Same with clubs: first set cost me $130 and my parents got theirs for practically nothing at garage sales. Golf can be expensive: now my clubs cost over $2000 and I play at courses that cost more, but it doesn't have to be. One more thing: people also think golf is for a certain "upper" crowd. This just isn't true either, when you get on the course, there are just as many blue collar guys are white collar. Getting back on topic: golf is the most engulfing sporting experience I have ever encountered, I think that if people go out and try it, they will love it, and anything we can do to make it more inviting is welcome.

The D.Ross course by my house that is one of the more prestigious courses in the area and is pristine, has an entire afternoon one day a week devoted to goofy golf and I guess it is very popular.  I think people are going to be more open to some of these ideas than some of us think right now.  And when people start catching wind of how fun it is, it might just have the effect that they are aiming for.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

As someone who recently started playing golf, I can say there is an intimidation factor out there for some people. Golf had been something I wanted to try, but I would not go out there by myself. I had to have a friend consent to endure my first painful rounds before I really got going. The fact that the game is so darn difficult is an inherent part of what makes it so addictive. I'm still awful, but that makes me that much more eager to work on it. It's the starting that was the hard part for me.

We, as golfers, need to bring people into the game.

• Administrator
But I think the thought that people don't play because it is hard is wrong.... People don't know it is hard until they try it, and the difficulty of the game is part of the allure.

It's part of the allure to some people .

Today, though, I think that if more people don't have immediate success with something, they quit. There are way too many things that offer instant gratification. Post on The Facebook, and ten minutes later, 20 of your friends have "Like"d what you wrote, as stupid as it may be.

Virtually every other sport is "easier" to pick up. With golf, it's not even easy to make a three-foot putt for a beginner.

I get what you're saying, though, in that people have to at least TRY it before they know it's too difficult for them, but I think that happens, too, or people assume it will happen ("that looks too hard, I'm not gonna bother trying it.") quite a bit.

I agree with the rest of your post about the (mis)conceptions re: golf's "costs." More places could have "rental clubs" too, further lowering the price, and do more "Get Golf Ready" type programs (whether they're true GGR programs or just a home-brew version).

As someone who recently started playing golf, I can say there is an intimidation factor out there for some people. Golf had been something I wanted to try, but I would not go out there by myself. I had to have a friend consent to endure my first painful rounds before I really got going. The fact that the game is so darn difficult is an inherent part of what makes it so addictive. I'm still awful, but that makes me that much more eager to work on it. It's the starting that was the hard part for me.

We, as golfers, need to bring people into the game.

I have to leave for a lesson but I want to make this a thing later. I think each person here can commit to bringing one new golfer to the game this year.

I'll start that thread later today.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think each person here can commit to bringing one new golfer to the game this year.

Fantastic idea!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

I think each person here can commit to bringing one new golfer to the game this year.

Fantastic idea!

Agree!  If we can't/won't, who will?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Already brought my friend into it from work.. He is as hooked on golf as any other avid golfer! Does this count or does it have to be this year?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Already brought my friend into it from work.. He is as hooked on golf as any other avid golfer! Does this count or does it have to be this year?

I've started a bunch too.

I'm gonna commit to at least one this year.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I was introduced to the game by a workmate a few summers ago. I had no intention of ever talking up golf before that. A few years later, I have got my 3 brothers playing and 3 friends. It's amazing what I'll do to ensure I have a playing partner :) -------- A lot of the suggestions by TM are quite obvious and clearly would help the game. (Lower costs Euclid etc) We all know these points so I'm not willing to give them too much credit for stating the obvious. What I, and others have a problem with is the oversized clubs, the larger balls & holes... I really don't think the difficulty of the current game is a major factor in its decline. To be quite honest, the difficulty is one of the reasons I got so hooked. I don't think I would still be playing if it was a lot easier. The ironic thing is that we are currently playing with vastly different equipment than the original game of golf. So why I am opposed to this change? Because it represents the splitting of the game, the creation of a new golf in fact. I wouldn't want to play basketball with the nets lowered 2 feet. Sure, I would be able to dunk the ball :) but it just wouldn't be basketball :(

And if the current corporate suggestions for McGolf do not bring in the crowds, they can double and redouble the size of the holes and locate them in soup bowl shaped greens that funnel even errant shots to cup. Eventually you can just build Pinewood Derby style ramps from tee to green that McGolfers can simply place their ball in and watch with pride as it zooms along the track and into the hole for an ace! High fives all around!

Seriously, use whatever gimmick you wish to increase customer base for peddling your wares. I mean if five million golfers leaving the pool has increased the time it takes to play a round to 7 hours then we need at least 20 million of these Special Olympians added to the field so things will speed back up.

/snarc

Our work league added 5 new golfers from my department alone last year. Five who have never held a club before. Of those three have taken to the game and two of them purchased upgraded equipment in anticipation of the coming season. We play 9 hole matches from the forward tees with USGA rules in effect. It may be an abbreviated game, but it is still golf. Nothing has been dumbed down for mass consumption.

I love this idea, it would be great too if folks could share "success stories" and suggestions for how to get new people introduced to the game. I have a friend who I'd love to get out there, but he's in his mid 40's (like me) and is extremely self conscious about embarrassing himself out there. I'm sure he'd have no problem going out and whacking away at the driving range but I'm the last person who should be giving a beginner swing instructions (and I doubt he'll go get lessons until he gets "the bug" first).

Well, they could reform the game's rules to simplify them. One could have two holes on a green, identified with different colored or shaped flags - on opposite sides of the green for an 8 inch hole and regulation hole... ...

We might see a move toward varying "conditions of competition" among golf amateurs. For example, recreational hockey has checking and non-checking leagues.

Back in golfland.... People interested in recreation and a nice walk could putt at the larger holes.

People over 40 with back trouble or physical limitations might start golf leagues where the long, anchored putters are allowed.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

why again are we (those w/o financial interests in golf) trying to grow the game? Anyone have any numbers to back up why I should care that taylormade/adidas profits are dropping?

why again are we (those w/o financial interests in golf) trying to grow the game? Anyone have any numbers to back up why I should care that taylormade/adidas profits are dropping?

Honestly I couldn't careless about TM or any other golf company profits, however if there is a real major decline in numbers then courses will become more expensive for me to play on them, and with the decline in profits for the major golf manufacturers the equipment will be more expensive as well... Besides, for me I want to bring people in the game to have more friends to play with and compete against.. Don't you agree?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

why again are we (those w/o financial interests in golf) trying to grow the game?

Is this a serious question?

Nate

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!