IGNORED

GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
On May 11, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Niklas said:

I think the "tech enabled" grips with pockets for tags announced at the PGA shows seem convenient. However, not a word about release date so far... Anyone with inside information? ;)

They're convenient, sure… but no more convenient than putting the tags in your existing grips, really. Except that they won't unscrew when you thin one. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi guys,

maybe this is mentioned before in this topic, but is anyone using Gamegolf without tags, on your phone? Just downloaded the app and going to try it tonight. What are your findings using the app on your phone? And is it common for guys here to follow each other?

7 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

Hi guys,

maybe this is mentioned before in this topic, but is anyone using Gamegolf without tags, on your phone? Just downloaded the app and going to try it tonight. What are your findings using the app on your phone? And is it common for guys here to follow each other?

I have used the GG app without the tags.  As a matter of fact, I sold my tags thinking that if I wanted to track my round, I'd just use the app alone.  It took about 27 holes before I ordered new tags.  It just got really annoying pulling out my phone to tag a club every time.  When you shoot in the 50s-60s for 9 holes, that really adds up.  Using the tags with the app is much more user-friendly.  

I follow some people here and a few people follow me.  I suppose it's more social to follow more people but the truth is I rarely look at the rounds (in detail) of the people I do follow.

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

42 minutes ago, krupa said:

I have used the GG app without the tags.  As a matter of fact, I sold my tags thinking that if I wanted to track my round, I'd just use the app alone.  It took about 27 holes before I ordered new tags.  It just got really annoying pulling out my phone to tag a club every time.  When you shoot in the 50s-60s for 9 holes, that really adds up.  Using the tags with the app is much more user-friendly.  

I follow some people here and a few people follow me.  I suppose it's more social to follow more people but the truth is I rarely look at the rounds (in detail) of the people I do follow.

Just stop making 55 strokes on 9 holes, then. :whistle:

Yeah, it's a great system. I leave my phone in my cart or bag depending upon if I am carrying or pushing. In the drive around carts, it fits nicely in the cup holders.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Just stop making 55 strokes on 9 holes, then. :whistle:

Wait... is that what I'm supposed to be doing!?  Why didn't someone tell me!?

:pound:

2 minutes ago, krupa said:

Wait... is that what I'm supposed to be doing!?  Why didn't someone tell me!?

:pound:

Sometimes, but only enough times to keep us coming back for more. . .:-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

55 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

Hi guys,

48 minutes ago, krupa said:

I agree with @krupa regarding the app alone without the tags.  I started the way you did, @DutchGolf--I downloaded the app at first, set up an account, and tried it for a couple of 9 hole rounds at my nearby executive course.  I quickly found that I did not like messing with the phone for every shot.  I don't mind looking at my phone for a GPS yardage indicator, but I really didn't like messing with selecting the club, etc.  It wasn't impossible to use, it just interfered with my play.

But using the app alone allowed me to see how the data was handled, etc.  I liked the info, so I got the classic belt unit.  Tagging the belt unit is much more non-obtrusive to my game.

So my recommendation is to do what you are doing--try the app for a round or two, when the course is slow (or pace of play is slow), so you can mess with it.  Then later on, look at the info.  Based on that, decide whether to get a belt unit or not.

With regard to following others--I follow a couple of local guys who play the same courses.  But I will often click on the links of Sandtrappers--sometimes it gives me a better insight into their golf game.  ("Sure, he can say that--look how far he hits his 6 iron.")

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

3 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I agree with @krupa regarding the app alone without the tags.  I started the way you did, @DutchGolf--I downloaded the app at first, set up an account, and tried it for a couple of 9 hole rounds at my nearby executive course.  I quickly found that I did not like messing with the phone for every shot.  I don't mind looking at my phone for a GPS yardage indicator, but I really didn't like messing with selecting the club, etc.  It wasn't impossible to use, it just interfered with my play.

But using the app alone allowed me to see how the data was handled, etc.  I liked the info, so I got the classic belt unit.  Tagging the belt unit is much more non-obtrusive to my game.

So my recommendation is to do what you are doing--try the app for a round or two, when the course is slow (or pace of play is slow), so you can mess with it.  Then later on, look at the info.  Based on that, decide whether to get a belt unit or not.

This is the main reason I really like GG. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to use, and I usually put it in the ball pocket anyway so it's really accessible.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, DutchGolf said:

Hi guys,

I follow most of the guys on here I think. I have a close friend that has one and I will check out his rounds usually. I look at some other too. Just depends on my mood. I am much more interested seeing others scores on courses I have played.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I follow most of the guys on here I think. I have a close friend that has one and I will check out his rounds usually. I look at some other too. Just depends on my mood. I am much more interested seeing others scores on courses I have played.

Also, to look at strategies on specific holes of other people with similar stats. It's really cool if you've never played a course before, and look up people who have similar games to your own to see what they did.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hi guys,

I've used the app on my phone exclusively. I don't have any plans to buy the tags and device. The only drawback I've run into is that apparently the device assumes the last putt is a tap in *which is usually pretty accurate for me* whereas using the app always puts the flag in the middle of the green so I have to adjust the pin position for every hole after the round. Other than that, I don't find using the phone to be an inconvenience, and it's a bit more convenient when it comes to uploading the round because you do it right away instead of having to plug the device into a computer.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Thanks for all the replies, I agree with @krupa that it is a hassle to use your phone during the round. I have used Hole19 before, but I think Game Golf has more options and data and so on. Maybe I am going the same route as @Missouri Swede, first trying the app and buying the tags later, but it looks like quite some investment at this point. 

Some more questions: how useful is such a device for a hacker like me, my shots are not very consistent by any means, can I still get some useful data from the app? And for the people that use the system on your belt, does it interferes with your swing? I'm worried a bit that it can be 'in the way' when you swing.

26 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

Thanks for all the replies, I agree with @krupa that it is a hassle to use your phone during the round. I have used Hole19 before, but I think Game Golf has more options and data and so on. Maybe I am going the same route as @Missouri Swede, first trying the app and buying the tags later, but it looks like quite some investment at this point. 

Some more questions: how useful is such a device for a hacker like me, my shots are not very consistent by any means, can I still get some useful data from the app? And for the people that use the system on your belt, does it interferes with your swing? I'm worried a bit that it can be 'in the way' when you swing.

I'm also a hacker but I find the data useful.  I use it to know my average club distances, which is useful both for making on-course decisions and for positive reinforcement when those numbers creep upwards. Also, being able to look at a round later and see what worked and what didn't can help get over a bad round.  (It does for me at least.)    And when it records a record drive or low round... that's just  :dance:

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

Some more questions: how useful is such a device for a hacker like me, my shots are not very consistent by any means, can I still get some useful data from the app?

That's why it may be useful to use the app on its own first--see if you like the analysis it's doing, and see if you think it will be worth the cost of purchasing it.  (For some, the cost may be prohibitive.  For some, they may not want to have more hardware/tech stuff on the course, whether cellphone app or belt unit.)

45 minutes ago, DutchGolf said:

And for the people that use the system on your belt, does it interferes with your swing? I'm worried a bit that it can be 'in the way' when you swing.

I think they used to suggest wearing it on the right hip (for right handers) IIRC, but I see that they now suggest the left hip.  I wear it on the left hip, and I've never had a problem with it during the swing.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I really like:

- It motivates me.  Currently my Game Golf handicap is just above 13 and these days I'm thinking, Get it below 13.

- It has shown me that my putting is a weakness in my game relative to others around my handicap.  This is useful because putting is the easiest part of the game and with practice I should be able to improve.  In other words, putting - that is some low hanging fruit.

- It gives me a detailed history of my rounds

- It's fun to review my last round, and for that matter, my best rounds

The system on the belt does not interfere with my swing.  I originally used the phone app, for me that was cumbersome and distracting.  With the Game Golf belt clip hardware, tagging has become so automatic that I hardly think about it, I'm hardly aware of it.  For that matter, it's so automatic that while taking a few practice chips while waiting for a group ahead I unconsciously tagged for the practice chip.  I had to edit that out later.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I think they used to suggest wearing it on the right hip (for right handers) IIRC, but I see that they now suggest the left hip.  I wear it on the left hip, and I've never had a problem with it during the swing.

Interesting. I still wear and always have worn it on my right hip. Easier to tap there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Does the game golf handicap drop bad scores after so long?  I haven't used it since last year and I am playing a bit better lately.  Wondering if i should create a new account or if it would work it's self out?

Edited by sirhacksalot
punctuation

• Administrator
9 hours ago, sirhacksalot said:

Does the game golf handicap drop bad scores after so long?  I haven't used it since last year and I am playing a bit better lately.  Wondering if i should create a new account or if it would work it's self out?

I'm sure it drops them. Probably after 20 rounds, and if it's bad, it never counts toward your handicap.

I'm pretty sure they just use the actual handicap formula, without necessarily counting slope and course ratings but rather just distance.

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!