IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!!

25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Pin is back, take the laser measurement and subtract 5 yards. Pin in the front, take the laser measurement and add 5 yards. There really isn't that many strange green complexes were you have to make crazy assumptions on how to get a safer landing area.

^This is how I play. The rangefinder is primarily there to help me figure the side to err. For example if center of green (regardless of where pin is) is 150 yards, then that is an in between distance (7i or 8i). If the pin is in the back (155-160), I will pull a 7i and if pin is in the front (140-145), I will pull an 8i.   

For me use of range finder has NOTHING to do with aiming at the flag. 

It is simple - I will use all information through every venue reasonably and quickly available to me. I don't have a GPS so I shoot edge of bunkers, trees, hazards, all sorts of things to understand my margin or error based on my shot zone. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a tidbit of information from our upcoming book Lowest Score Wins (math still being tweaked to its, exact, final form but you'll get the point ): Try this the next thousand times y

Got this email today 👍  

I agree. @pave , I've been a member of this forum for several years now and I have seen many instances where someone new shows up with a ton of experience and expertise. Unfortunately, far too

Posted Images

Another somewhat relevant example, although this one is more about Rory knowing his shot zone and playing away from penalty hazards because even though he said he was aiming straight at the flag, it sounds like the flag was located in a spot that fit his shot zone perfectly and for him aiming at the flag plus the wind off the left took the water out of play on the left and he would have accepted a miss into the right bunker.

A good example of how sometimes you can play for your shot zone but still hit it really close.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I’ve just reread some of the posts in this thread.  It reminded me of an article I read when I first started playing six years ago, "HOW TO BREAK 100." One particular tip has stuck with me because it was funny and very accurate.  

"AIM FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE GREEN.  YOU'RE NOT THAT GOOD!"

So true! 🥴

• Like 2

I agree with the post but it is hard not to shoot at the pins. It is like not to swing hard AT the ball. If we can swing like our practice swings we can all play better. I will try at the center of the green the next time I come out on a course. 

43 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I agree with the post but it is hard not to shoot at the pins. It is like not to swing hard AT the ball. If we can swing like our practice swings we can all play better. I will try at the center of the green the next time I come out on a course. 

I generally like to have a specific target for all of my shots.  When I'm playing to a green, but not aiming at the pin, I make sure I have a specific target that I AM aiming at, maybe a tree, or something on the horizon, a different colored piece of grass, something.  Then I'm aiming at something, not at the generalized "middle of the green".  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I generally like to have a specific target for all of my shots.  When I'm playing to a green, but not aiming at the pin, I make sure I have a specific target that I AM aiming at, maybe a tree, or something on the horizon, a different colored piece of grass, something.  Then I'm aiming at something, not at the generalized "middle of the green".  

Didn't Gary Player preach this as also?  For me to just aim at the middle of the green I have left such a large margin of error that I miss more greens then hit.  Just to large of a target, but as you stated @DaveP043 find that small target and go for that. 

That doesn't mean the Flag but a good small point to narrow your focus on and hit at that small target.   When I do this with any shot it has a better positive affect on my game.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, Southern by Choice said:

I’ve just reread some of the posts in this thread.  It reminded me of an article I read when I first started playing six years ago, "HOW TO BREAK 100." One particular tip has stuck with me because it was funny and very accurate.  

"AIM FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE GREEN.  YOU'RE NOT THAT GOOD!"

So true! 🥴

This was a hard lesson for me to learn. :-$