IGNORED

Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter

Note: This thread is 1313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Pin is back, take the laser measurement and subtract 5 yards. Pin in the front, take the laser measurement and add 5 yards. There really isn't that many strange green complexes were you have to make crazy assumptions on how to get a safer landing area.

^This is how I play. The rangefinder is primarily there to help me figure the side to err. For example if center of green (regardless of where pin is) is 150 yards, then that is an in between distance (7i or 8i). If the pin is in the back (155-160), I will pull a 7i and if pin is in the front (140-145), I will pull an 8i.   

For me use of range finder has NOTHING to do with aiming at the flag. 

It is simple - I will use all information through every venue reasonably and quickly available to me. I don't have a GPS so I shoot edge of bunkers, trees, hazards, all sorts of things to understand my margin or error based on my shot zone. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

The quote is important.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another somewhat relevant example, although this one is more about Rory knowing his shot zone and playing away from penalty hazards because even though he said he was aiming straight at the flag, it sounds like the flag was located in a spot that fit his shot zone perfectly and for him aiming at the flag plus the wind off the left took the water out of play on the left and he would have accepted a miss into the right bunker.

A good example of how sometimes you can play for your shot zone but still hit it really close.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 9 months later...

I’ve just reread some of the posts in this thread.  It reminded me of an article I read when I first started playing six years ago, "HOW TO BREAK 100." One particular tip has stuck with me because it was funny and very accurate.  

"AIM FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE GREEN.  YOU'RE NOT THAT GOOD!"

So true! 🥴

• Like 2

I agree with the post but it is hard not to shoot at the pins. It is like not to swing hard AT the ball. If we can swing like our practice swings we can all play better. I will try at the center of the green the next time I come out on a course. 

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

43 minutes ago, khalespace said:

I agree with the post but it is hard not to shoot at the pins. It is like not to swing hard AT the ball. If we can swing like our practice swings we can all play better. I will try at the center of the green the next time I come out on a course. 

I generally like to have a specific target for all of my shots.  When I'm playing to a green, but not aiming at the pin, I make sure I have a specific target that I AM aiming at, maybe a tree, or something on the horizon, a different colored piece of grass, something.  Then I'm aiming at something, not at the generalized "middle of the green".  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I generally like to have a specific target for all of my shots.  When I'm playing to a green, but not aiming at the pin, I make sure I have a specific target that I AM aiming at, maybe a tree, or something on the horizon, a different colored piece of grass, something.  Then I'm aiming at something, not at the generalized "middle of the green".  

Didn't Gary Player preach this as also?  For me to just aim at the middle of the green I have left such a large margin of error that I miss more greens then hit.  Just to large of a target, but as you stated @DaveP043 find that small target and go for that. 

That doesn't mean the Flag but a good small point to narrow your focus on and hit at that small target.   When I do this with any shot it has a better positive affect on my game.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

On 9/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, Southern by Choice said:

I’ve just reread some of the posts in this thread.  It reminded me of an article I read when I first started playing six years ago, "HOW TO BREAK 100." One particular tip has stuck with me because it was funny and very accurate.  

"AIM FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE GREEN.  YOU'RE NOT THAT GOOD!"

So true! 🥴

This was a hard lesson for me to learn. :-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• iacas changed the title to Stop Aiming at the Flag!!! #DeadCenter
Note: This thread is 1313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!