IGNORED

Steve Elkington on Twitter

iacas
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

People he is a white Aussie, and they are usually straight talking and shorten everything. But I don't believe he or most Aussies would treat anybody differently based upon the colour of their skin. My daughter is complete mix and she will grow up proud of all of them

Twitter proves every day that there are a lot of stupid, vile people out there that now have access to a global format to prove it.  A lot of people think these things, but Twitter allows them to spew them to the world.

The world was a much quieter place without facebook and Twitter.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Twitter proves every day that there are a lot of stupid, vile people out there that now have access to a global format to prove it.  A lot of people think these things, but Twitter allows them to spew them to the world. The world was a much quieter place without facebook and Twitter. dave

One of his tweets was concerning a helicopter crash in Scotland. I don't think there are many people who think what he tweeted. He doesn't think much before tweeting. He tweets like those television nighttime animated characters would.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Uhhh, I'm guessing no

Hmm....

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

People he is a white Aussie, and they are usually straight talking and shorten everything. But I don't believe he or most Aussies would treat anybody differently based upon the colour of their skin. My daughter is complete mix and she will grow up proud of all of them

If you are saying he is Australia's version of a redneck and we should be okay and expect this kind of behavior, then you are wrong. Insensitive close minded comments that are said "jokingly" or with disclaimer do not fly. This is a global age and regardless if like or dislike something, if you are willing to put it out there, expect the repercussions from those feel differently. We are not talking about golf balls, we are talking about living breathing and feeling individuals who already take a ton of abuse. I may not be gay or bisexual, but I feel they have a human right to be protected and not perpetuate hate.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If you are saying he is Australia's version of a redneck and we should be okay and expect this kind of behavior, then you are wrong. Insensitive close minded comments that are said "jokingly" or with disclaimer do not fly. This is a global age and regardless if like or dislike something, if you are willing to put it out there, expect the repercussions from those feel differently. We are not talking about golf balls, we are talking about living breathing and feeling individuals who already take a ton of abuse. I may not be gay or bisexual, but I feel they have a human right to be protected and not perpetuate hate.

Are you saying rednecks are close-minded?

- Jered

By definition... lol

Of course, a know a lot of liberals who are close-minded....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm sorry this here is another case of taking what someone said and running with it and making mountains out of a mole hill. Geez he didn't say Fag, Queer, Gay as a $3 dollar bill or anything like that.... He said "purse throwing" oh boy that was horrible ......LOL Let it go.... Face it, not everyone accepts SAMs or approves of his choices.... And doesn't have too just cause we live in a liberal, politically correct world. Deal with it.... He will hear far worse come Sundays in the NFL I guess I will be bashed now for my response !!!!!! If a Comedian would have said this on stage nothing would have been said of it... But cause it was on twitter oh boy let's make it a HUGE deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I guess it depends... Want to help me out with a replacement word? My experience with the ones that call themselves rednecks would generally fit the bill. I did live in your neck of the woods for a while... no pun intended, and met quite a few who fit that model...

If a Comedian would have said this on stage nothing would have been said of it... But cause it was on twitter oh boy let's make it a HUGE deal

A comedian would have known his/her audience.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I guess it depends... Want to help me out with a replacement word? My experience with the ones that call themselves rednecks would generally fit the bill. I did live in your neck of the woods for a while... no pun intended, and met quite a few who fit that model...

I guess the definition differs by region. Where I am from "rednecks" are hard working, blue collar, honest and god fearing people. We live by the "don't tread on me" ethos which doesn't mean we are intolerant of others. This doesn't mean we are dumb I'll educated citizens like honey boo boo (which I don't think it's from Missouri) There is always exceptions to the social rules. I have a 121 IQ. Am I an exception to the rule or dumb redneck? In summary I would like to point out how you claimed elk is an intolerant redneck from Australia just shows how intolerant you are by using "redneck" as a negative term. But to each their own. I'm totally cool with people having their personal opinions and support that freedom everyday by serving this great country.

- Jered

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I guess the definition differs by region. Where I am from "rednecks" are hard working, blue collar, honest and god fearing people. We live by the "don't tread on me" ethos which doesn't mean we are intolerant of others. This doesn't mean we are dumb I'll educated citizens like honey boo boo (which I don't think it's from Missouri) There is always exceptions to the social rules. I have a 121 IQ. Am I an exception to the rule or dumb redneck? In summary I would like to point out how you claimed elk is an intolerant redneck from Australia just shows how intolerant you are by using "redneck" as a negative term. But to each their own. I'm totally cool with people having their personal opinions and support that freedom everyday by serving this great country.

Redneck is not a race. It is personal badge. Your redneck PR guys don't do you any favors. Next time I will use idiot or moron.

redneck

[red-nek] Informal: Often Disparaging.
noun
an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South.
a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.
adjective
Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude. Synonyms: biased, narrow-minded, intolerant. Antonyms: fair-minded, open-minded, broad-minded, tolerant, unbiased, impartial.
Also, red-neck.
This is from dictionary.com btw. Might recommend country boy or hard workin' country folk for a new moniker...

Redneck is not a race. It is personal badge. Your redneck PR guys don't do you any favors. Next time I will use idiot or moron.

redneck

[red-nek] Informal: Often Disparaging.

noun

an uneducated white farm laborer, especially from the South.

a bigot or reactionary, especially from the rural working class.

adjective

Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude. Synonyms: biased, narrow-minded, intolerant. Antonyms: fair-minded, open-minded, broad-minded, tolerant, unbiased, impartial.

Also, red-neck.

This is from dictionary.com btw. Might recommend country boy or hard workin' country folk for a new moniker...

So, by your definition, in response to what you might feel is a disparaging tweet, you call the tweeter a disparaging name.  Sounds a little hypocritical, no?

And if you spent any time in the South as you say, you would know where the term "redneck" came from, and how it is a source of pride to a lot of folks.

[QUOTE] So, by your definition, in response to what you might feel is a disparaging tweet, you call the tweeter a disparaging name.  Sounds a little hypocritical, no? And if you spent any time in the South as you say, you would know where the term "redneck" came from, and how it is a source of pride to a lot of folks. [/quote] Technically I am trying to make a comparison that is similar where others behave a way and say "that's how we are raised". See Duck Dynasty. Well I guess you guys should get something going to get this term on the black list like the Asians did with "oriental"...

@Valleygolfer , you can't "unsee" Honey Boo Boo!

BTW, the New England equivalent of "redneck" is called a "swamp yankee".  I don't think Elkington qualifies as either, no matter what definition you want to use.  He is just a fool for not seeing his tweets causing an uproar, joke or not.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@Valleygolfer , you can't "unsee" Honey Boo Boo!

BTW, the New England equivalent of "redneck" is called a "swamp yankee".  I don't think Elkington qualifies as either, no matter what definition you want to use.  He is just a fool for not seeing his tweets causing an uproar, joke or not.

Athletes nowadays are required to be less provincial, and golfers are expected to be even more educated than other athletes.

The average athlete has a college education, of whom many have competed it. Golfers are supposed to be even more educated than this average athlete. Maybe they should be forced to ace all the honors courses in diplomacy, psychology and political science?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 year later...

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/steve-elkington-confirms-he-was-suspended-over-michael-sam-tweet

In a wide-ranging sit-down interview in the August issue of Golf Magazine, Steve Elkington revealed he was suspended by the PGA Tour for two weeks and fined $10,000 after his derogatory tweet about a gay football player going through the NFL combine.

In February 2014, Elkington tweeted "ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine....No one else expected to throw today."

Below is an excerpt of the interview.

You've come under fire for some of your remarks on Twitter. In 2013, you incited controversy after using a word that's derogatory toward Pakistanis. In 2014, you posted what many interpreted to be a homophobic joke about the gay football player Michael Sam. There are other examples. Do you regret any of the tweets?

I don't know. You can't win either way. Everyone wants to keep picking on me about Twitter, but they don't want to pick on other people. They don't want to pick on Kelly Tilghman, about what she said about Tiger. [Note: In 2008, Tilghman said during a Golf Channel telecast that young players who wanted to challenge Woods should "lynch him in a back alley."] They don't keep picking on Tripp Isenhour because he killed an eagle. [Note: Isenhour killed a hawk with a golf ball in 2007.] But they want to keep picking on me for something that I got fined for and suspended. I've served my sentence.

But those two examples were one-off incidents. Your critics would argue that you're a repeat offender.

Yes, but there's two sides to every one of [the tweets]. In the circles I go in, we [joke around on Twitter] all the time with one another. I'm not saying I'm not responsible for my tweets, but a lot of people are tired of all the political correctness.

Elkington confirms that he was fined and suspended for the Twitter comments.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!