IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

It's absolutely a sport. What idiot would say it isn't? Lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I think we have a different definition of physical prowess then.  When you can play at the upper level of competition (PGA Pro) and look like this....

Guy Boros

Kevin Stadler

John Daly

is when I have a huge problem calling it a sport.  I would say most of the top level guys are excellent athletes, but it's not a requirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox

Sport.

-noun

1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Golf is a game where you compete against others and it requires skill AND physical prowess.  Its a sport.

How many times have we had this discussion?  And has it ever solved anything?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

To those people who talk about being worn out after playing 9 holes or 15 or whatever, that is a matter of being seriously unfit,not proof that golf is not a game. I just prefer to call it golf.

+1.  If you think golf is very physically tiring and it takes lots of endurance to be able to hit decent shots on the back nine, that just means you and everyone you play with is either 70+ years old or in absolutely terrible shape.

The only exception is extreme weather conditions.  But even being in great shape isn't going to leave you playing in top form on 18 after 17 holes in 100 degree heat and blazing sun, and the decline there isn't so much about the sport being physically demanding as the fact that it's simply demanding to be out in the sun for that many hours when it's so hot.  You know, mad dogs and Englishmen and all that...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Wadess

I think we have a different definition of physical prowess then.  When you can play at the upper level of competition (PGA Pro) and look like this....

Sure, there are professional, unfit, fat people in golf, doesn't not make it a sport....because I'm sure a lot of rugby/football players would disagree with you calling there's a game based on that logic. Although a lot of props in rugby are moving away from being just big and fat, to big and pure muscle....but golf is also going in the direction of being more athletic.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

A friend of mine said this to me about "sport" versus "game." I got a chuckle out of it, and I don't endorse it.

Ooh, I'll use that quote button.

Quote:
If a woman can do it as well as a man, it's a game, not a sport.

So there you have it. Golf is a sport.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

just because a fat guy plays doesn't mean it isn't a sport...picking out particular examples is no proof of anything.

Tiger Woods is one of the most fit athletes on the planet.

Bo Jackson was able to play ANY sport and be great.

Micheal Jordan was unstoppable.

I guess then everything is a sport.

• Upvote 1

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

just because a fat guy plays doesn't mean it isn't a sport...picking out particular examples is no proof of anything.

Tiger Woods is one of the most fit athletes on the planet.

Bo Jackson was able to play ANY sport and be great.

Micheal Jordan was unstoppable.

I guess then everything is a sport.

What about when that fat guy stops his car for beers every 10 minutes?.

Tiger Woods is one of the fittest golfers (or he was until his leg fell off), but compared to many other professional athletes, he'd be about average, maybe?

Bo Jackson should have stuck with baseball.

Michael Jordan sucked at baseball.

What does any of this have to do with the game of golf being a sport?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This argument occurs when discussing numerous "activities."  I have always held the position that to qualify as a sport, the actions of your opponent must directly affect the game itself.  Clear examples of sport include baseball, football, basketball, soccer, wrestling, etc.  Action and reaction between opponents.

Golf doesn't meet this criteria.  Neither does most track & field events and most races.  I consider those activities games or competitions.  But not sport.

Just me, who cares in the end.

CARBITE Putter

Originally Posted by sean_miller

What about when that fat guy stops his car for beers every 10 minutes?.

Tiger Woods is one of the fittest golfers (or he was until his leg fell off), but compared to many other professional athletes, he'd be about average, maybe?

Bo Jackson should have stuck with baseball.

Michael Jordan sucked at baseball.

What does any of this have to do with the game of golf being a sport?

Just pointing out that picking out fat guys as proof that something isn't a sport isn't a solid argument.  If you go by "well a fat guy can do it" you're just omitting the true athletes that play.  Just saying that you have to look at the OVERALL collection of players and not just some of them.

Truthfully, I don't care what anything I play is called.  If I love it, call it whatever you want..a fat guys game, a kids game, a girls game(softball), not a sport...I still have a hell of a time playing!

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Just pointing out that picking out fat guys as proof that something isn't a sport isn't a solid argument.  If you go by "well a fat guy can do it" you're just omitting the true athletes that play.  Just saying that you have to look at the OVERALL collection of players and not just some of them.

Truthfully, I don't care what anything I play is called.  If I love it, call it whatever you want..a fat guys game, a kids game, a girls game(softball), not a sport...I still have a hell of a time playing!

When I was growing up, a lot of guys who thought they were shit hot at sports were too afraid to stand in the batter's box against a top fastball (softball) pitcher. When you've seen someone get their elbow smashed or their thumb almost sheered off, you can start to second guess yourself. The mound is closer and the ball travels faster with more movement. Let's just say, you learn to bunt defensively.

A lot of top athletes play golf as a hobby. I don't see too many golfers shooting hoops or playing squash in the off season, but maybe that's because there really isn't an offseason any more.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you ride a cart, it's a hard game.  If you walk, it's a hard sport.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

its a game. its completely a mind game, just like any other game if you play the cards (clubs) you have correctly and make the most out of each move (shot) you will come out on top (Even). People over complicate it buy you can win (play well) with any hand (swing) you just have to learn to make adjustments toward your own style of play.  Once you learn to be consistent, even if its a consistent miss, you can then learn to play this game...strategy game.

Thats how i think of it and it keeps me sane out there

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Originally Posted by cody west

its a game. its completely a mind game, just like any other game if you play the cards (clubs) you have correctly and make the most out of each move (shot) you will come out on top (Even). People over complicate it buy you can win (play well) with any hand (swing) you just have to learn to make adjustments toward your own style of play.  Once you learn to be consistent, even if its a consistent miss, you can then learn to play this game...strategy game.

Thats how i think of it and it keeps me sane out there

Rugby is game then, and football, and soccer, and hockey. If you make the right play ( the right pass, the right shot, the right sidestep, run or deke) you will come out on top ( win ).

It's an activity. I wouldn't call it a sport. It's just as hard or harder to master as some sports, but not a sport. It requires athleticism, but nary any aerobic effort. I wouldn't call running a sport - it requires plenty of aerobics but not much athleticism. A sport is just a term. To be good at running or golf or anything requires much dedication.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Swinging a golf club is one of the most athletic moves you can do in sport.

hands, wrists, arms, back muscles and spine, thighs, knees, ankles - all being used in around 2 seconds.

Note: This thread is 2564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!