Jump to content
Valleygolfer

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

2,860 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I was just reading that during some weeks in 2008, the gap in OWGR points between Tiger and #2 Phil was larger than between Phil and the 1000th ranked player in the world. Looking at the archive, Tiger had more than double Phil's points for much of the early portion of the year, which (unless I'm making some obvious logical mistake), the gap between Tiger and Phil was actually larger than the gap between Phil and you or I.

This is the archive from the week after Tiger won the Dubai Desert Classic: http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2008/owgr05f2008.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I was just reading that during some weeks in 2008, the gap in OWGR points between Tiger and #2 Phil was larger than between Phil and the 1000th ranked player in the world. Looking at the archive, Tiger had more than double Phil's points for much of the early portion of the year, which (unless I'm making some obvious logical mistake), the gap between Tiger and Phil was actually larger than the gap between Phil and you or I.

Right, because the lowest points totals we could have is 0.0, and IIRC Phil was in the 9s while Tiger was at like 21 or so for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, jamo said:

I was just reading that during some weeks in 2008, the gap in OWGR points between Tiger and #2 Phil was larger than between Phil and the 1000th ranked player in the world. Looking at the archive, Tiger had more than double Phil's points for much of the early portion of the year, which (unless I'm making some obvious logical mistake), the gap between Tiger and Phil was actually larger than the gap between Phil and you or I.

This is the archive from the week after Tiger won the Dubai Desert Classic: http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2008/owgr05f2008.pdf

Take a look at it in early 2001. The system was different, but http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2001/owgr20f.pdf I think puts him at 2.5 times Phil's points. 12.93 vs 32.33. I think that's the highest total he ever had. It would have included all four majors and the Players. Doubtful if he or anyone else has ever had more points than that. I'd be curious to see how many points that would give him right now in the current system, but I don't have the energy to figure it out at the moment. Maybe later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Take a look at it in early 2001. The system was different, but http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2001/owgr20f.pdf I think puts him at 2.5 times Phil's points. 12.93 vs 32.33. I think that's the highest total he ever had. It would have included all four majors and the Players. Doubtful if he or anyone else has ever had more points than that. I'd be curious to see how many points that would give him right now in the current system, but I don't have the energy to figure it out at the moment. Maybe later today.

And I decided to figure it out. I think the week after the Masters in 2001, his ranking would have been 23.35 points average on the current method. That's assuming that tournaments then had the same points weighting as they do now and taking a guess at a couple of events that no longer exist. Either way, compare that with Brooks Koepka who right now has an average of 10.115, which is good for 1st place. Also worth bearing in mind that he wouldn't have that many points if Tiger had his results. I'd say that makes Phil's points tally pretty good. And Tiger's was spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote

Tiger Woods made a hole-in-one last week.

That’s not surprising, since he is the best player of his generation by miles, a winner of 14 majors and 80 PGA Tour titles.

And he had 19 in his career.

No, the shocking part was that it was his first one in 20 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/11/27/tiger-woods-20th-hole-one-ace/2129575002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, turtleback said:

They could (and maybe should) have left out the phrase 'of his generation'.

Yeah, but they might have had to tone down the "by miles" part. Depending on your sense of scale, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So an ace during the 9 hole at The Masters. That would count as a hole in one right? Imho it does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I forget if Discovery is part of basic cable, I don't think it is. Looks like focus is more international initially.

Quote

Fresh off strong tune-in (despite a conspicuous tech glitch) for his pay-per-view match against Phil Mickelson, golfer Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and GolfTV, its new streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

The deal offers Discovery and the PGA a significant marketing hook for GolfTV, which launches in January in several territories outside the U.S. It plans to stream 2,000 hours of live golf each year along with on-demand content. The parties are envisioning “a wide range of programming, content creation and storytelling opportunities,” according to a press release announcing the deal.

...


GolfTV content created with Woods will be available in the U.S. down the line but streaming internationally will be the main focus for now. GolfTV will light up January 1 in Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia and Spain. Other territories will be added through 2024. Domestic streaming will continue on PGA Tour Live, the golf circuit’s existing platform.

 

tiger-woods-golf-tv.jpg?w=300

Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and its soon-to-launch streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/29/2018 at 11:46 AM, nevets88 said:

I forget if Discovery is part of basic cable, I don't think it is. Looks like focus is more international initially.

 

tiger-woods-golf-tv.jpg?w=300

Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and its soon-to-launch streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

 

 

I'm excited about this deal. I think Discovery Golf is a subscription streaming channel at this point. Looking forward to these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

New documentary on ESPN end of the month.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Leadpoison with some comments on Tiger's swing - mainly about a wide takeaway and a late wrist set, also his arms keep moving after the shoulders stop turning. Comments?

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

The 14-time major winner's swing is close to being his best ever, according to one Hall of fame instructor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Leadpoison with some comments on Tiger's swing - mainly about a wide takeaway and a late wrist set, also his arms keep moving after the shoulders stop turning. Comments?

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

The 14-time major winner's swing is close to being his best ever, according to one Hall of fame instructor.

 

Lol! Great nickname!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see...  I see... A funny commercial in the horizon, two red shirts...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...