IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

If you go to the beginning of this thread, page 1 through 3, then skip to the last couple of pages, it's hilarious how Reed went from being a blowhard to "a great guy".

I'm watching to see when the sand trap genius's do the same with Bubba.

I don't know who's saying he's a great guy, I just liked how he played in the Ryder Cup and I was willing to give him a pass on the arrogant comments he made earlier in the year.  If he says stupid things in the future like he's a top 5 player I won't hesitate to call him out on it.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you go to the beginning of this thread, page 1 through 3, then skip to the last couple of pages, it's hilarious how Reed went from being a blowhard to "a great guy".

Some of us were is his corner from the start. :beer:

Everyone loves a winner ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

If you go to the beginning of this thread, page 1 through 3, then skip to the last couple of pages, it's hilarious how Reed went from being a blowhard to "a great guy". I'm watching to see when the sand trap genius's do the same with Bubba.

I'm one who was not a fan early on but I've changed my tune. I think he's probably an ok dude but was a bit overwhelmed early, let his mouth run a little more than he probably wanted to and paid a price. Turned out to have helped him in the long run. Bubba is just Bubba, he's had long enough to craft his image and it hasn't changed yet. Evidently it takes more than a couple majors to impart class on some.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

As long as Reeds clubs back up his mouth, I don't care what he says. If any tour player says he can whupp evryone else out there, then goes out and does it, more power to them. Personally I think the game could use a bit of trash talk leading into a tournament, as long as there is class and humility post tournament.

As long as Reeds clubs back up his mouth, I don't care what he says. If any tour player says he can whupp evryone else out there, then goes out and does it, more power to them. Personally I think the game could use a bit of trash talk leading into a tournament, as long as there is class and humility post tournament.

Exactly, as long as it doesn't turn into trash talk and NBA tatoos

Lol, how, exactly, would Patrick Reeds arrogance turn into NBA tattoos??

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The sporting formula of good and bad guy with a bit of needle mouthed off between them is well established for generating interest. It won't necessarily do golf any harm to get some flowing if the marketing people could assign characters to players and then try and cultivate these. As has been said though, it would still remain important that golf retains it's virtues post match.

Reed is more humble than Poulter. Reed only claimed to be top-5, Poulter claimed to be top-2. Mind you, it got Poulter what he craved more than anything, media attention and the image of cocky London bad guy. Over the years this softens and people start to warm to him more, not unlike the way that everyone now claims to have been a McEnroe fan rather than Borg, or Ovett instead of Coe

That must be an NBA player, it's spelled wrong.

Glad you noticed. :-\

That's the point,after all. :-)

Here we go again. People just making stuff up.

He said nothing of the sort.

A quote taken completely out of context and interpreted incorrectly.

For the record, McEnroe was consistently voted the fairest  player by his peers. If a call went his way he would almost always deliberately lose the next point. Came off as a jerk occasionally, but was never once wrong about decisions he disputed.

• Administrator

Here we go again. People just making stuff up.

He said nothing of the sort.

A quote taken completely out of context and interpreted incorrectly.

Agreed. Not a Poulter fan at all, but he didn't say he was top two. He said something like "if I play to my full potential it'll be just me and Tiger."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's because people judge others by their actions and what they say. Say your only impression of someone initially is that he's arrogant, an ass or just a guy you just can't stand. Time passes, you see him in different situations, he does something you regard as positive and slowly your opinion of him changes.

Therein lies the big issue with judging someone we don't know, have never met, and base our opinion on based off of a few comments. This is difficult enough with someone you actually see face to face, let alone someone you only see on the TV or Internet.

You can someone without even knowing anything about them. Just from the way they walk, look, what they wear etc. You might initially not think very highly of someone, then turn around completely once you get to know them or just have a little chat. The less information we got about someone, the easier it is to turn around completely once you get to know them a bit better. It goes both ways, you can take a liking to someone based on a little thing, then later find out they are an idiot and regard them as such.

As far as Reed goes, he made a pretty bold statement at a point of time where he wasn't very known. He's won some tournaments, but was never in the big league of players that anyone on this board cut put a face on. Today he's won more tournaments, did well in The Ryder Cup and people's initial impression may have shifted a bit. His statement was still bold, being 20 spots off the top five in the world, but at least he's shown he can play well. Since he's American and did well on an American Ryder Cup team that has received a lot of criticim, I bet many will quickly change their opinion about him.

Was the comment a sign of confidence, offensiveness, arrogancy? Maybe he was trying to give himself some PR, maybe a heat of the moment thing or maybe he honestly believed it. It's hard to run from your past, especially when it's saved on the Internet forever, but if he keeps up the good play and comes off a bit different in the future I'm sure many of the naysayers that called him out will change their opinion of him. I don't really try too hard to evaluate people I don't know personally, but I can't help having favorites and people I think less highly of. Bubba Watson is a pretty good golfer, but the parts of him that's being displayed in the media doesn't make me like him. If I find Reed arrogant based on his comments, that won't change just because he wins, maybe except if his performance actually reflects the comments which might be viewed as arrogant.

I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore or why this post became so long, so I'll just st...

• Upvote 2

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Agreed. Not a Poulter fan at all, but he didn't say he was top two. He said something like "if I play to my full potential it'll be just me and Tiger."

Poulter wasn't being arrogant when he made this comment. Totally delusional maybe, but not arrogant. To be truly arrogant there needs to be a shred of truth in your boasts.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like he has a fine coming his way for being caught on camera using expletives and a slur. I'm sure the media will blow it out of proportion.

Dave :-)

Sounds like he has a fine coming his way for being caught on camera using expletives and a slur. I'm sure the media will blow it out of proportion.

If it was for what he said when he three putted I'd say it wasn't blown out of proportion.  I was only half listening but heard him drop the f bomb 3-4 times and made what sounded like a negative gay reference but I'm not 100% certain.  The announcers were completely silent (probably in shock) and the production team didn't switch feeds until Reed was out of mic range at which point the announcers apologized for the profanity,

Edit - I just read the 2014 WGC-HSBC thread, I guess I heard him correctly.  That's going to leave a mark....

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!