IGNORED

How Often do You Film Your Swing?

mdl
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Often Do You Film Your Swing

• Every (or almost every) practice session
    • Many practice sessions
    • Once in a while
    • Never
    • Cyclically - Regularly when making swing changes or issues come up, rarely otherwise

I'm curious - those who video their swing - are you the only guy @ the range doing it? Or one of a few?

I've been doing it for about 2 years now, and in that time, I've probably seen another guy filming himself on 2 or 3 occasions.  So, yeah, its pretty much just me.

I've had a couple guys get really curious when I set it up (just my iphone clipped to an alignment rod speared into the grass) and come up to me and ask "what is that thing?"  "Uh, its ... an ... iPhone."

They are very disappointed.  Thought it was some sort of launch monitor or something. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had people walk up behind me, stand at attention like a soldier with hands clasped behind back. And just stare. For like 5 minutes. I've gotten comments - stop looking at the camera and hit some balls, not to mention negative nabobism from the range pro (jerk). People walking up asking why I'm doing what I'm doing. We're ahead of our time. I bet there will come a day where videoing swings on the range will be as common as "keep your head down". Not?

And by the way, I heard a guy telling his lady friend keep your head down at the range today. Oy. This has happened, and will happen again.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

They are very disappointed.  Thought it was some sort of launch monitor or something. ;)

Have some fun with them next time.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I've never seen someone with a tripod other than myself. Once or twice I've seen someone trying to prop up a phone. Once or twice I've seen someone recording a friend's swing. I think it's becoming more popular with apps and higher fps smartphone cameras.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I voted once in a while. When I used to I could notice some things but if it wasn't something simple, like my lead arm breaking down, I couldn't do much to fix it anyway.

Edit: change my selection to an actual poll option.

James

I'm curious - those who video their swing - are you the only guy @ the range doing it? Or one of a few?

I've never seen anyone at my local range filming their swings other than a few of the pros who give lessons there.  Though I rarely go to the range anymore, just hit BirdieBalls in the back "yard" or at the park on the way to work, so maybe it's gotten more regular in the past year or two?  Though I still never see them when at the course warming up or on the occasions when I go cause I want to hit regular balls.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Every time I go to the range I bring my 15th club, my camera. I typically won't bother to go to the range without it because it helps me so much. Occasionally I see someone else, but it is super rare. I get a few looks but I don't even notice them anymore.

Michael

I film at least a few swings every time at the range. And, I am yet to see anyone else filming their swings (including 3-4 instructors) at the two ranges I go to.

The range I go to, the instructors film all of a persons lesson, which is good. I've only seen 2 people video there swings there.

Unfortunately that range has to be void of a lot of people cuz of the small space of each stall, so the guys that do film, do it at night, when it's fairly empty. I'm gonna start filming more, only because when I do something bad, I'm not always sure what I did.

I've never seen a single person filming their swing but I do it every time. Although at my range it's hard because the stalls come to chest height and have only a metre space behind... hence I prefer to practice in my garden hitting into blanket hung over goal posts

Henry

I've never seen a single person filming their swing but I do it every time. Although at my range it's hard because the stalls come to chest height and have only a metre space behind... hence I prefer to practice in my garden hitting into blanket hung over goal posts

This is one of the logistical barriers to videoing your swing at ranges not attached to a course or not open air. They usually have barriers that block almost half the FO view. For the most part, DTL is rarely a problem.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This is one of the logistical barriers to videoing your swing at ranges not attached to a course or not open air. They usually have barriers that block almost half the FO view. For the most part, DTL is rarely a problem.

Another place for my endless shilling for BirdieBalls!  They give you all the info of a range ball -- trajectory, contact, direction, shape -- but a 3w goes ~50 yards, PW more like 30-35, so way shorter than an AlmostGolf ball but real info unlike a whiffle golf ball.  I stop at the park on the way to work, hit off a mat out of the infield dirt (you can hit them directly off grass if you've got your own big yard or you don't mind being kind of a dick and ruining the grass at the park) and can be in and out in 20 minutes.  A range trip before work would put me at work like 1.5-2 hours later instead of 20 minutes later.  Of course if I have more time I can set up the tripod exactly where I want to film the swing and there're no issues with filming in cramped range stalls.  And it's free after the up front purchase cost.  I save SO much money practicing as much as I want/can but rarely going to the range.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Another place for my endless shilling for BirdieBalls!  They give you all the info of a range ball -- trajectory, contact, direction, shape -- but a 3w goes ~50 yards, PW more like 30-35, so way shorter than an AlmostGolf ball but real info unlike a whiffle golf ball.  I stop at the park on the way to work, hit off a mat out of the infield dirt (you can hit them directly off grass if you've got your own big yard or you don't mind being kind of a dick and ruining the grass at the park) and can be in and out in 20 minutes.  A range trip before work would put me at work like 1.5-2 hours later instead of 20 minutes later.  Of course if I have more time I can set up the tripod exactly where I want to film the swing and there're no issues with filming in cramped range stalls.  And it's free after the up front purchase cost.  I save SO much money practicing as much as I want/can but rarely going to the range.

How does contact feel on those birdie balls?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

How does contact feel on those birdie balls?

It feels pretty good.  I mean, it's a practice ball, and it weighs half of what a golf ball does, so it's not exactly the same or anything.  But it feels solid.  Even with the lighter weight, it's made of a really hard polymer, so it doesn't feel like hitting a whiffle ball or anything.  Very solid but lighter is all.  With experience I even get some feeling on contact center face versus out on the toe.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!