IGNORED

Uphill Putts!!!!

Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

See I can't do that style because then I would end up jacking the putt 10 feet past the hole. I need to mentally figure a way to trick my feel of distance into thinking to hit it further with out messing up the stroke. I think I will try looking past the hole from now on, for uphill putts. I use to do this for putts I needed to just get to the slope then let the slope take over, like putting down a tier green. My last look would be at where I want the ball entering the slope. It really helped out not hitting a normal 20 foot putt, but a much shorter one.

I'll just have to practice more and figure something out.

I've never liked the idea of trying to imagine a different length putt, or adding/subtracting from a stroke, because this is too much to have on your mind at the moment.

My best advice is to imagine the ball hitting the back of the cup on uphill putts.  Trust your subconscious and practice to take care of the rest!

Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game talks about this method, and helps you do this sense of "tricking" your brain into hitting the right speed.

I also try to hit these longer uphill putts with my big muscles, because it prevents bombing it past the hole.  When one hand in the stroke becomes too active, you get that pop stroke that sends the ball zooming past the hole.

Favorite Golf Quote: "The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player

The DIY Golfer (my site)

To me an uphill putt is a putt the golfer has to spend some time practicing to get the feel for that particular putt. I say find a practice green with an uphill putt and spend enough time working on that part of your game, that you start to feel comfortable. .

While you are at it, practice on your aim/accuracy for the putt, since you say you are blasting the ball by the hole.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slight up hill, against the grain kill me ... I like some of the suggestions here.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

WIDER stance for a wider stroke. But keep the ball position the same relative to the front foot (effectively moving it forward in the stance). The ball position is important because you don't want the AoA getting downward for those longer strokes. A little backspin throws distance control out the window.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

It could be your putter honestly if your greens are slow and your putters is low inertia or insert variety then your perceived smashes will still end up short! If none of this is the case then imagine a spot 5 foot past the hole and try to not go past that put lag it up to that  max. Just read the break and pick a zone for uphill putts it's oke to come up short or hit it a foot by your just trying to get it close or hit the back of the cup. I don't see any reason to hit it 7 feet by or come up 5 feet short just work on it.

I find that I have too much`hit` in my stroke. which is not good on fast downhill greens.

Remember tip from D Stockton that it should feel more like a paintbrush stroke , which give more a pure roll on the ball.

One thing that helps me lately is to spread my hands further apart in my grip use a reverse overlap or reverse grip rather than double overlap gives me a bit more a bit more touch.

I've never liked the idea of trying to imagine a different length putt, or adding/subtracting from a stroke, because this is too much to have on your mind at the moment.

I disagree completely because the adding/subtracting process comes before making the stroke.  If I have an uphill putt that I feel would need a 4” backstroke if it was flat and add 2” for the uphill then I need a 6” backstroke. Having a 6” backstroke on my mind is the same as having a 4” backstroke on my mind as far as execution goes. It is just a different number to remember.

• Administrator
I disagree completely because the adding/subtracting process comes before making the stroke.

@Grumpter , you can't really "disagree completely" with someone else's opinion like this.

FWIW I don't like picturing different length putts either. I just picture the putt I've got.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I disagree completely because the adding/subtracting process comes before making the stroke.  If I have an uphill putt that I feel would need a 4” backstroke if it was flat and add 2” for the uphill then I need a 6” backstroke. Having a 6” backstroke on my mind is the same as having a 4” backstroke on my mind as far as execution goes. It is just a different number to remember.

I'm a feel player, so this is why I prefer my method over yours.  It all boils down to how your brain works for sure, but you're right, it isn't too much to think about if you determine your stroke before stepping into the putt.

I'm already a pretty active thinker on the course and have never been able to handle all the variables that are presented when you try and pick a stroke length.

Favorite Golf Quote: "The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player

The DIY Golfer (my site)

• 1 month later...

Been trying the find a spot in front of the hole and relating it to the back of the cup and it's helps me get the right pace for the fast downhill putts

conversely for the uphillers, I imagine a spot behind the hole as it relates to the front of the cup and that's work well for speed control for up hill putts. 

If it's flat then I try treat it like slightly uphill , and try to get ball somewhere between the front of the cup and 6-12 inches behind 

• 7 months later...

Update as I getting more confident on these putts. I using a shoulder stroke for long putts and my standard putt is a downhill one and I find most comfortable feet are shoulder width . As the putt becomes more level or uphill I adjust my stance so feet are closer together and I feel this helps  line up my shoulder along the grade of the green slope 

On 4/26/2014 at 5:36 PM, mvmac said:

Yeah I can tend to struggle with uphill going up a tier. Other than practice you just have to make a bigger stroke but still keep it "smooth". You're not trying to add speed by "hitting" it harder.

For practice you can use a string or alignment stick from 15, 20, 25 feet and roll balls just over or past the string.

I have had, and still do have, that problem on occasion but I'm trying to conquer it. You really need to decide on just how much of a stroke you need beforehand. Your body knows if you haven't made a long enough backstroke, then your right hand (for a right handed golfer) jumps in to help out, and crushes the putt well past the hole.

On 9/22/2015 at 4:42 PM, SavvySwede said:

WIDER stance for a wider stroke. But keep the ball position the same relative to the front foot (effectively moving it forward in the stance). The ball position is important because you don't want the AoA getting downward for those longer strokes. A little backspin throws distance control out the window.

I know that feeling only too well! Those putts that take off going "fffffffffftt", ffffffffftt" ffffffffftt" from all the backspin instead of just rolling!

On 9/25/2015 at 6:53 PM, iacas said:

@Grumpter , you can't really "disagree completely" with someone else's opinion like this.

FWIW I don't like picturing different length putts either. I just picture the putt I've got.

That's my feeling as well. I have a 20 foot uphill putt? Well then, that's what I have! My buddy and I played a course today that is the hilliest I have ever played. I've generally had some problems with reading severely contoured greens cut into hillsides, but I did a pretty decent job today. My only complaint was that I read the line perfectly, but the ball would die 18" to 24" short of the hole. The old "if you hit it, you had it" deal!

Still, that was better than blowing it 4-5' past, and facing a slick, bendy downhiller for a two putt. My buddy had that on one green, and had to play about 2' of break on a 5' putt!

So, I guess it depends how short of the hole you're leaving it on uphill putts. If it gives you an easy two putt, what's the problem? Amazing how one's mind set can change when you think about things a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
On June 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM, dchoye said:

Update as I getting more confident on these putts. I using a shoulder stroke for long putts and my standard putt is a downhill one and I find most comfortable feet are shoulder width . As the putt becomes more level or uphill I adjust my stance so feet are closer together and I feel this helps  line up my shoulder along the grade of the green slope 

This has been working for me. I also move ball position more forward if uphill and change my grip a bit stronger 

20 hours ago, dchoye said:

This has been working for me. I also move ball position more forward if uphill and change my grip a bit stronger 

Still working Also with narrow stance. Ball position off the lead shoulder or lead armpit I hole some long uphill putts 

I can only tell you what works for me

I walk from my ball to the hole, and feel what the difference in elevation is

Then I stand over my ball and look from my ball to the hole 3 times along the path the ball will take

Look at my ball and stroke it, letting the magic computer in my head do the calculations

Works for me so that I putt decently, time will tell

2 hours ago, Pete F said:

I can only tell you what works for me

I walk from my ball to the hole, and feel what the difference in elevation is

Then I stand over my ball and look from my ball to the hole 3 times along the path the ball will take

Look at my ball and stroke it, letting the magic computer in my head do the calculations

Works for me so that I putt decently, time will tell

Two good elements there: using your feet to feel slope and a bit of 'quiet eye' technique.

Re OP, @saevel25 you've likely found the solution by now, but did you ever find amount of spine tilt relative to the slope affecting your contact (too steep / too shallow)?

Kevin

11 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Re OP, @saevel25 you've likely found the solution by now, but did you ever find amount of spine tilt relative to the slope affecting your contact (too steep / too shallow)?

Yea, get fitted for an Edel putter and watch distance control issues go away :) 

That and convert to a faster backstroke helped recently. 

As for the spine tilt. I never had an issue. 99% of the time I am on a 4% or less slope. 4% isn't that bothersome. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If you're consistently banging them past the hole, then just focus on a point 2-3' short of the hole as your stopping point. If my speed is consistently off, uphill or downhill, I adjust my focal point.

To get a feel for how much uphill a putt is, I look at the putt from the low side of the slope. I really grind that out mentally before I get behind the ball and judge the break.

As far as the stroke goes, I pop them more than a flat putt. For longer, more severe uphill putts, I'll even get a little wristy with it. If I get too long with my stroke, I start missing the center of the blade. It works for me.

Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!