IGNORED

3BALLS GOLF I.D. THEFT

NO SAND PLEASE
Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else had credit card fraud after buying form 3Balls?  I bought club in April '13 and week later my card was used in Ireland and other places.  Few days ago at beginning of May I bought another club and card was used in another fraud case right after purchase from 3Balls. As it was the only card I used to buy, NO chance anyone else got the number. Be careful dealing with this company.

• Upvote 1

Bullshit.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Shorty, you can say "b.s.' all day but when your card is hacked go ahead and do whatever. personally since this the 2nd time, me and Discover ARE going to the authorities to investigate. So, have a nice day and actually THINK before bashing someone else.

Shorty, you can say "b.s.' all day but when your card is hacked go ahead and do whatever. personally since this the 2nd time, me and Discover ARE going to the authorities to investigate. So, have a nice day and actually THINK before bashing someone else.

I've been dealing with 3balls for nearly 10 years and they are a fine organisation.

You have come to a forum site and your very first post is to libel a good company.

Have you taken it up with them?

Tread carefully.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I've been dealing with 3balls for nearly 10 years and they are a fine organisation. You have come to a forum site and your very first post is to libel a good company. Have you taken it up with them? Tread carefully.

Agree. Sadly, there are a LOT of ways that your card information could have been compromised in conducting an on-line transaction that have nothing to do with the merchant. I've had credit cards compromised several times. I've yet to find that the merchant was involved.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree. Sadly, there are a LOT of ways that your card information could have been compromised in conducting an on-line transaction that have nothing to do with the merchant. I've had credit cards compromised several times. I've yet to find that the merchant was involved.

Don't know the company but It almost never has to do with the merchant. It's usually the 3rd party processor that is compromised. In online transactions most merchants won't get your card number whatsoever.

James

I didn't read this as blaming the company, he just said that his card was compromised after dealing with this company. This is just like security breaches at companies like Target. I was worried about my card since I purchased items at Target at the time of the problem. I still feel that these companies are reputable, but crooks can find ways of getting credit card info. Just because someone likes a merchant, and have had good dealings in the past, does not mean that that merchant is imune to problems with their credit card security.

I have done business with 3Balls for the last three years and never had an issue.  I agree with whatwoodtigerdo, it's either 3rd party processor or your home pc/network isn't secure.  There are plenty of Trojan horses and virus's that leave you exposed for these sort of attacks.  I think you should have your facts straight before you blame 3Balls.

Joe Paradiso

Anyone else had credit card fraud after buying form 3Balls?  I bought club in April '13 and week later my card was used in Ireland and other places.  Few days ago at beginning of May I bought another club and card was used in another fraud case right after purchase from 3Balls. As it was the only card I used to buy, NO chance anyone else got the number. Be careful dealing with this company.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a pain to have a card blocked once this happens.  Sometimes I wonder about these websites - I've had two cards already compromised.

Have you informed the credit card company and 3Balls of this issue?  They may be able to catch the crook that way.  I would call 3Balls or have your CC company do it. If you do call, ask for a supervisor or higher.

It is frustrating, I know.  Mine was hacked two weeks ago.  Not sure where it happened though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When a customer does business with X company it is not unreasonable to expect ones data to be secure. It is X companies decision which processor to use. The op is not out of line to be pointing fingers. The op had no choice in which processor X company uses. I looked at the op' s post as a service to others, a heads up. On the flip side, i use my amex frequently for ol stuff. Ive had my data swiped twice, both times they caught it before i reviewed my statement and called to verify. I use my cc enough that it would be hard for me to determine which company/ processor was breached. If i did figure it out it would most certainly color my decision to purchase there again. So i guess it depends. Had i not used a card in months it would be reasonable to finger point. Personaly i want to know, accurately, which companies are being breached. I vote with my money and if enough people do that processors will be forced to up their security via retailer pressure

When a customer does business with X company it is not unreasonable to expect ones data to be secure. It is X companies decision which processor to use. The op is not out of line to be pointing fingers. The op had no choice in which processor X company uses. I looked at the op' s post as a service to others, a heads up.

On the flip side, i use my amex frequently for ol stuff. Ive had my data swiped twice, both times they caught it before i reviewed my statement and called to verify. I use my cc enough that it would be hard for me to determine which company/ processor was breached. If i did figure it out it would most certainly color my decision to purchase there again.

So i guess it depends. Had i not used a card in months it would be reasonable to finger point. Personaly i want to know, accurately, which companies are being breached. I vote with my money and if enough people do that processors will be forced to up their security via retailer pressure

Yeah I guess I can understand except you should not be responsible for the charges so who cares. I have had mine breached 3 times, my bank caught it all 3 times and called me before I even saw it. Sure twice I had to be issued a new card but it's not enough to sway my decision on where to shop if I like a place. OPs "tone" on his post, especially his second reply, seems like there is more to it than what he is saying.

James

shorty, i spoke with the manager and we discussed how LAST year people WERE compromised with fraud. Since this happened TWICE to me with 3 balls, it is obvious. We discussed procedures they are using and we settled the matter. Fact is I WAS compromised 2x by this company so I am treading with caution. Didn't accuse anyone in particular at 3 balls, just alerted what happened. they know it did.

Yes, I spoke with the manager and she admitted the fraud from last year as they got hacked. We went over procedures from 8 days ago and since I've been only hacked 2x using  a credit card, both right after buying from them, well............. and she knows and we have put it to rest.

Here are my facts. Only have had 2 hacks/ fraud attacks the last 10 years. BOTH 5 days after using 3balls. And after speaking with 3balls manager she ADMITTED the hack from last year and we're working on THEIR side, not my computer. There are your facts.

Yes, I spoke with the manager and she admitted the fraud from last year as they got hacked. We went over procedures from 8 days ago and since I've been only hacked 2x using  a credit card, both right after buying from them, well.............

Looks like their security was breached, which happens to the best of them (e.g, Target).    It's time for them to update their security measures.

Same thing happened to me multiple times with DC, and my checking account.   Closing the account, reprinting checks are hassle.   So, I feel your pain.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Maybe something happened and maybe it didn't.  But what do we know for sure:

1)  The OP, prior to this thread, has never posted here before and therefore has no presence here nor any established credibility.

2) Therefore the OP's assurances about what he did and the steps he took and what 3Ball told him likewise have no established credibility.

3)  Lots of people here have used 3Balls without any problem.

4)  The OP claimed that it happened to him each time he used 3Balls recently, and that the problem, based on his cited experiences,, has existed for well over a year.

It is the 3 & 4 combination that is troubling.  If it is so rampant that the OP got hit twice, on his only 2 transactions separated by more than a year, then why is it that no one else has reported any such problem here, particularly when it is being claimed that it has been going on so long?  Surely if there was some ind of systematic or systemic problem it would have surfaced over the past year somewhere else.  It isn't as if no one on this site has ever heard of or purchased from them.

And while I am not saying that this is necessarily what the OP is doing, what better way for a used golf club site to try to shift business their way than to trash a competitor in a public forum composed of that company's potential customers.

In short, Shorty (see what I did there?) nailed it, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

FWIW... I been making purchases from 3 Balls since around 2007.  Over the years this includes 2 sets of irons, fairway woods, drivers, and putters for same as well as several other drivers and associated items. I never encountered a credit card problem whatsoever in probably a couple of dozen transactions.

1. I'm curious to know if these were online credit card purchases or ones done over the phone?

2. Was the "home address" different than the "ship to" address.

Have I encountered credit card data theft? You bet, I tracked it down to a local Wendy's fast food joint where my wife used the card. When I asked her if she kept the card in sight the entire time she said no. She gave it to the guy at the drive up window. This leads me to believe a cell phone photo was taken on the front and rear of the card and possibly transmitted to one of his buddies.

Ours was one of three incidents like this from this food joint.

The reason I mentioned all that is, if the order was called in to 3 Balls a untrustworthy employee could have taken a copy of the CC data. I'm not sure if they would have access to computer related data. 3 Balls does list several forms of data security.

What I find odd is a purchase in Ireland. Where was it being shipped to? Was the card info relayed to a relative or an associate living in Ireland?

In my incident it was stopped almost immediately as I only make online purchases that are shipped to my home address. My CC company called to verify when they saw the pattern change in the shipping address.

In any event, I didn't lose anything (the selling retailer did) and I hope neither did you.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!