IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

16 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

My mother took the carcass home with her this year. So I will be paying her a visit to have some turkey soup for sure.

It turned out good even though it was only one carcass. I make the broth in a 5-gallon stock pot so I was concerned about the flavor, but I just reduced it more. I prefer to have two birds just so I end up with more soup :-)

15 hours ago, RandallT said:

Very nice!

12 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Good lookin soup!

Thanks! It was delicious. I hope there's some left when I get home today, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Ate the hottest lamb vindaloo I've experienced for dinner tonight. I have high spice tolerance, consider myself a hot food expert for sure. We went to a Nepalese place and I asked for x-hot, in fact requested go to the hospital hot.

Wow it was brutal. I had a hat on and it was soaked, hair wet, face red. The waiter said dude that is superman hot can't believe you are eating it. Well I got down about a 1/4 cup before surrendering. Killed my taste buds for sure can't taste a thing now. 

I will bounce back but damn that was hot. Not going to waste it will be my bfast. If and a big if I live through the you know, discarding. 

Dave :-)

7 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Ate the hottest lamb vindaloo I've experienced for dinner tonight. I have high spice tolerance, consider myself a hot food expert for sure. We went to a Nepalese place and I asked for x-hot, in fact requested go to the hospital hot.

Wow it was brutal. I had a hat on and it was soaked, hair wet, face red. The waiter said dude that is superman hot can't believe you are eating it. Well I got down about a 1/4 cup before surrendering. Killed my taste buds for sure can't taste a thing now. 

I will bounce back but damn that was hot. Not going to waste it will be my bfast. If and a big if I live through the you know, discarding. 

Get naan and basmati to dilute it. Nepal and Mogul style are very similar. Much hotter than even southern Indian food.

For breakfast, add an egg or two Indonesian style. The yolk tastes great with spicy food.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Good ideas, too bad I couldn't resist and at it before bed. Trying figure out how to reheat the momo without ruining it. That's all I have left. 

Dave :-)

On 6/2/2014 at 10:46 AM, Spyder said:

The first picture, below, is a gigantic bacon sandwich that my wife and I ordered with my mother and step-father when we went to Upper Peninsula (Michigan) for our summer vacation last year. We stopped in at Tony's I-75 and let's just say I did not eat bacon for 2 weeks after... This is a normal BLT !! I did get a free "Got Bacon?" T-Shirt for attempting to put the damn thing down alone. I would have included the side of fries that came with it, but I would have needed a panoramic shot of the table.

7d754ebb_baconsandwich.jpeg

This is my grilled salmon that I make on a regular basis. Unfortunately, this was at night back in March during a snow storm, so the quality of the picture sucked.

6f14b9c4_salmon.jpeg

Homemade salsa that I made last summer, which I intend on making again this year. I grilled all of my vegetables (tomatoes, Cubanelle peppers, Romanian Sweet Peppers, Garlic, Vidalia Onions and Jalapenos). Then, I cut up some fresh cilantro and seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic.

5547de45_salsa.jpeg

This is our turkey from this past Thanksgiving. It came out phenomenal. I always smother it in butter, salt and pepper both on top of and under the skin (all over the turkey). Then, I take 2 fresh lemons and halve them and put them in the cavity. Then, throw some rosemary and fresh thyme sprigs in there for aromatics. Also, cut up some onions, celery and carrots and put in the bottom of your roasting pan. Then, add some water and a little bit of chicken stock. Aromatics and flavor when basting! Baste every 20 minutes and cook the last 30 minutes uncovered to get brown, crispy skin. That was a 21 pound bird with no leftovers...

a606e852_turkey.jpeg

I'll upload my porterhouse pictures this coming Friday! That's my Sacred Steak Night.

Tony's is legendary.   It is always crowded.   Good food and service. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

As the weather begins to get colder (I know it will happen eventually) the weekends become "stock-the-freezer" days.  This is when my wife I catch up on all of those long-cooking dishes that simply can't be done after golf.  Last weekend, I did an 8-pound brisket on the Weber, slow-cooked for 4 hours with applewood smoke and finished in the oven.  A couple of nights later we defrosted the last bit of duck and mushroom gumbo, so I'll need to cook up another batch of that pretty soon.  Spaghetti sauce, goulash, home-made chicken stock (my wife's specialty), chili, beef and Guinness stew, so many things to make the house smell great.  I'll try to remember to cake a few pictures to post.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

As the weather begins to get colder (I know it will happen eventually) the weekends become "stock-the-freezer" days.  This is when my wife I catch up on all of those long-cooking dishes that simply can't be done after golf.  Last weekend, I did an 8-pound brisket on the Weber, slow-cooked for 4 hours with applewood smoke and finished in the oven.  A couple of nights later we defrosted the last bit of duck and mushroom gumbo, so I'll need to cook up another batch of that pretty soon.  Spaghetti sauce, goulash, home-made chicken stock (my wife's specialty), chili, beef and Guinness stew, so many things to make the house smell great.  I'll try to remember to cake a few pictures to post.

Duck and mushroom gumbo sounds very interesting, and tasty.  My family's tradition from my father's side on New Years Eve is to make Pork Posole (Pozole) and I get the chilis sent to me from Hatch New Mexico.  It is a fantastic soup, nice and spicy, you can add all kinds of things to it.  I absolutely love making it.  After cutting  up all of the pork for the soup you end up with quite a bit of pork scraps with fat on them, so I drop them all in a huge skillet and sprinkle them with garlic salt and cook them up until they are crunchy bits.  They make the best crunchy pork scrap (not carnitas, not really chicharron) tacos with some onion and cilantro as garnish and a little salsa or red chile.  I also make a dish called carne adovada where you take the pork chunks (boneless, bone in give the meat a weird flavor) and slow cook them in the oven covered in a red chili sauce for about three hours till the meat is fall apart.  That meat is great for tacos and burritos or to put on some home cooked pinto beans.  It is also fantastic for breakfast with eggs and you find it often in breakfast dishes in New Mexico.  I will post pictures of those things if I remember.

I made oxtail soup in a big ceramic lined cast iron dutch oven some time ago and have been hungry for it again so I may make some of that as well at some point.  I like hearty stews and soups during the winter.  My wife bough me a 4.9 cu foot external freezer to put out in the garage so that we can more easily freeze and store things.  That is all I wanted for Christmas so now will have to fill it up with all kinds of tasty things.

17 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I also make a dish called carne adovada where you take the pork chunks (boneless, bone in give the meat a weird flavor) and slow cook them in the oven covered in a red chili sauce for about three hours till the meat is fall apart.  That meat is great for tacos and burritos or to put on some home cooked pinto beans.  It is also fantastic for breakfast with eggs and you find it often in breakfast dishes in New Mexico.  I will post pictures of those things if I remember.

The duck gumbo is really pretty lush.  I basically follow this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/duck-and-wild-mushroom-gumbo-108579

I've used two whole ducks the last few times I've done it.  I'll render as much duck fat as possible, and that's usually produced enough duck fat that I don't need any more oil to make the right amount of roux.  I usually shop for mushrooms, and all the other veggies, at the local asian market, you can get a bigger variety at a better price than you can at the main-line grocery stores.  

I've had carne adovada at a local New Mexico-style restaurant, and love it, and have made it at home a few times.  I haven't quite had the red chile sauce come out quite the way I want it to, but I'm getting closer.  I have to think its the balance of different types of chiles.  If you have any advice, I'd be glad to have it.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/duck-and-wild-mushroom-gumbo-108579

I've used two whole ducks the last few times I've done it.  I'll render as much duck fat as possible, and that's usually produced enough duck fat that I don't need any more oil to make the right amount of roux.  I usually shop for mushrooms, and all the other veggies, at the local asian market, you can get a bigger variety at a better price than you can at the main-line grocery stores.  

I've had carne adovada at a local New Mexico-style restaurant, and love it, and have made it at home a few times.  I haven't quite had the red chile sauce come out quite the way I want it to, but I'm getting closer.  I have to think its the balance of different types of chiles.  If you have any advice, I'd be glad to have it.

I have never cooked with duck fat but two years ago I made a goose for Christmas with a plum wine reduction.  I saved some of the goose fat chunks and rendered it to cook my potatoes in, they were incredible.

The way I make mine is to start with the Hatch New Mexico chilis.  They are an Anaheim pepper, so if they are not from Hatch doesn't really matter you can use those. I like my red chili hot and order the Hot and Extra Hot bags of red chili.  I take the tops off and take the seeds out of the pods (you can leave some in to kick up the heat a bit), put into a pot and wash and rinse them then I cook until they are tender.  After that I add a few ladels of the chili pods and the water they have cooked in to a blender and I blend the heck out of it with garlic salt.  Do this with all of the chili pods and returning to another pot. It is entirely up to you if you like the New Mexico style chili which has spanish oregano in it.  I prefer making mine without and allowing people to add a pinch at the end if they want it.  If you do, you can add a little of the oregano to the pot and then bring it up to medium for about 30 minutes.  This should set your red chili sauce.  I cook my carne adovada in this by adding few ladels into a tin foiled pan, then add my hunks of boneless pork with the fat trimmed off (make tacos with those scraps its delicious).   Add more red chili sauce to cover and sprinkle the top with garlic salt again.  Cook in oven at 350 degrees for 3 hours total time.  At the midway point I pull it out of oven, turn the pork chunks and add more red chili sauce on top to keep it from drying out before tucking back in the oven to finish.  I keep a close eye on it the last 45 minutes to make sure I don't dry out the pork.  

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

That sounds good. One of my favorite foods is Duck. I try to have it once a year if I can find a restaurant that serves it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I try to have duck a little more often than that.  Obviously, a big batch of gumbo in the freezer provides a few meals.  I also like to make duck breast in a wine or port reduction, and I often make a couple of breasts into duck pastrami, which makes a nice little side to take to parties.  I'm thinking of cooking a whole duck for Christmas Eve, I haven't done that in a while but it turns out nice.  I can get you any of those recipes if you're interested.

Dave

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

That sounds good. One of my favorite foods is Duck. I try to have it once a year if I can find a restaurant that serves it. 

Me and my son as well!

We like "Duck l'orange", "Peking Duck", "Cantonese BBQ Duck", http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/sicilian-spiced-duck-breast-with-preserved-orange-recipe/ and http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/second-courses/duck-breast-with-balsamic-vinegar.aspx

My wife and daughter have cooked the last two, and the first one and we go to restaurants for the Peking Duck and Cantonese style BBQ.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I try to have duck a little more often than that.  Obviously, a big batch of gumbo in the freezer provides a few meals.  I also like to make duck breast in a wine or port reduction, and I often make a couple of breasts into duck pastrami, which makes a nice little side to take to parties.  I'm thinking of cooking a whole duck for Christmas Eve, I haven't done that in a while but it turns out nice.  I can get you any of those recipes if you're interested.

Duck Gumbo sounds really good! Just looked up one recipe that looks yummy. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/duck-and-andouille-sausage-gumbo-recipe.html

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Thai and Vietnamese tend to do well with duck dishes.  If it is a good Thai restaurant I will sometimes order the duck.

3 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

Thai and Vietnamese tend to do well with duck dishes.  If it is a good Thai restaurant I will sometimes order the duck.

That's a great idea. Thai duck soup noodle for lunch!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Last year I made duck breast for Christmas Eve, and had some left over, along with a nice bit of the duck fat.  Christmas morning, I made duck hash, with the potatos and onions crisped in the duck fat before adding in the leftover shredded duck.  Then, I made 4 hollows in the potato/onion/duck mixture, cracked in eggs, and stuck the whole thing (in a cast iron skillet) in the oven to cook the eggs.  MMMMM   good!.

@Lihu, the recipe I use is also from Emeril, and it looks identical except for the andouille/mushroom trade-off.  I like the mushrooms with the duck instead of the sausage.  I do use andouille when I make chicken gumbo.  Its impossible to go wrong!

Dave

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Last year I made duck breast for Christmas Eve, and had some left over, along with a nice bit of the duck fat.  Christmas morning, I made duck hash, with the potatos and onions crisped in the duck fat before adding in the leftover shredded duck.  Then, I made 4 hollows in the potato/onion/duck mixture, cracked in eggs, and stuck the whole thing (in a cast iron skillet) in the oven to cook the eggs.  MMMMM   good!.

@Lihu, the recipe I use is also from Emeril, and it looks identical except for the andouille/mushroom trade-off.  I like the mushrooms with the duck instead of the sausage.  I do use andouille when I make chicken gumbo.  Its impossible to go wrong!

Wild mushroom sounds great!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 weeks later...

Did not take a picture of the posole I made but still have a boatload of it so will post those later.  I have included a picture of my 2.5 year old son chowing down on some of the posole, or, as he calls it "pohlee" on New Years Day. 

Posole.thumb.jpg.06751412c7e7c6bbd326ecc

Every New Years Eve our tradition is to make posole which is soup made with either chicken or pork-(we use pork- and large hominy called posole or pozole in Spanish) in a chicken broth and water where you add red chili for flavor.   We also make carne adovda which is very versatile and can be added to a lot of dishes, and pinto beans slow cooked in a pot and then mashed down so that most people think they are refried but they are not, just use one nice strip of thick hickory smoked bacon to add some flavor along with a few packets of Goya's Sazon.  In any event here is a picture of the carne adovada straight out of the oven and then another of it in a traditional New Mexican breakfast which is crispy shredded hash browns, scrambled eggs, carne adovada, cheese, and red chili sauce with a few tortillas.  @DaveP043 may be familiar with that breakfast.  The paper plate is due to the fact that we feed the masses on NYE and New Years day and just makes clean up a lot easier, not the best presentation, ha-ha.

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.321f063cffdac18d62f43

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.5cf212c793518ec167195

Edited by Gator Hazard

• 2 weeks later...

I made some steak and bacon taco's, but with an italian flare. 

I took two tortilla's. Put on a layer of provolone cheese. Layered on some rendered bacon, perfectly cooked medium rare sirloin steak, and some italian sausage. I added on some mozzarella cheese on top. Then I threw it in the oven on 425 for about 8 minutes. All you need to do is fold in half and instant taco. 

I cooked the steak in a saute pan with some leftover bacon fat renderings. Just simply seasoned with salt and pepper. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: