IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

Never like moon cakes. My uncle told me once it's because I've never had a good one, then he gave me one that he highly recommended.

I still don't like moon cakes. Guess I'm still waiting to taste a good one :-P

The traditional kind with the red bean paste can be dry. Maybe you just don't like the red bean paste. Do you like red bean soup? Nowadays, there are so many flavors - green tea and mango are in the photo. They're expensive too. Not crazy about the ones with the egg yolk inside. Salty and sweet don't work for me this time.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The traditional kind with the red bean paste can be dry. Maybe you just don't like the red bean paste. Do you like red bean soup? Nowadays, there are so many flavors - green tea and mango are in the photo. They're expensive too. Not crazy about the ones with the egg yolk inside. Salty and sweet don't work for me this time.

Love red bean paste. Moon cakes are dense and dry and not good.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

This is more Hong Kong style. I'm not crazy about them, but I do eat them.

The Taiwanese types are like "Tai Yang Bing" except with red/black bean inside. They're a flaky crust and I like them as well since I grew up eating them. . .the "poor man's moon cake".

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Love red bean paste. Moon cakes are dense and dry and not good.

They're really good with a jumbo cup of tea that Taiwanese and Chinese traditionally drink as well.

If you eat them by themselves, I agree that they aren't that good. It's like eating crumpets and marmalade, better with Tea.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Gotta stop by here next time I'm in Philadelphia:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No more open flame propane for me. This is easy and the sear is nuts. I need a little work, not a pro flat topper but damn those chuck eyes were good and not even choice grade. Cast gets hot! 

image.jpeg

Dave :-)

7 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

No more open flame propane for me. This is easy and the sear is nuts. I need a little work, not a pro flat topper but damn those chuck eyes were good and not even choice grade. Cast gets hot! 

image.jpeg

Cast iron? Brand? I was looking into that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Banh Mi

image.jpeg

The venerable East Village Cheese. Very un NY like prices, the daily specials.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Cast iron? Brand? I was looking into that.

Lodge heavy high quality and pre-seasoned. I bought 8" and 10" skillets with the griddle, though wish I'd gone with the bigger Camp Chef griddle with the grease drain. I can see myself using the griddle a lot and space for eggs, bacon and still have room for pancakes would be nice. But the 14" griddle was $29 on sale as BPS.

It's been a while since I've used cast iron but so far I really like it. It's fast cooks even and is super easy to clean and care for. The stove was the best money I've ever spent for outdoor cooking. With the skillets and griddle I am in it less than $200 and it blows away the infrared Char-Broil I replaced. That POS was all over the place with temp and the slightest wind often kept it from ever getting over 300. I lit the stove and took maybe 50 seconds to grab a paper towel to smear a little EVOO on the griddle and it was so hot it scorched the paper towel. No more guessing with wobbly grill temp. On med heat it was dead on for med-rare at 4 minutes a side and the onions cooked in the same time.

16 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Lodge heavy high quality and pre-seasoned. I bought 8" and 10" skillets with the griddle, though wish I'd gone with the bigger Camp Chef griddle with the grease drain. I can see myself using the griddle a lot and space for eggs, bacon and still have room for pancakes would be nice. But the 14" griddle was $29 on sale as BPS.

It's been a while since I've used cast iron but so far I really like it. It's fast cooks even and is super easy to clean and care for. The stove was the best money I've ever spent for outdoor cooking. With the skillets and griddle I am in it less than $200 and it blows away the infrared Char-Broil I replaced. That POS was all over the place with temp and the slightest wind often kept it from ever getting over 300. I lit the stove and took maybe 50 seconds to grab a paper towel to smear a little EVOO on the griddle and it was so hot it scorched the paper towel. No more guessing with wobbly grill temp. On med heat it was dead on for med-rare at 4 minutes a side and the onions cooked in the same time.

I've got three of their skillets. Thanks!

Scott

My Swing Thread

I recently got a Lodge skillet with grates, sort of like an indoor grill pan. It worked pretty nicely for some steak tips I made, but it's impossible to get clean. Gunk gets in between the grates, and then when I try to wash it it's impossible to clean and dry. I'm going to have to completely re-season it.

My regular Lodge skillet and dutch oven are great, however.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I recently got a Lodge skillet with grates, sort of like an indoor grill pan. It worked pretty nicely for some steak tips I made, but it's impossible to get clean. Gunk gets in between the grates, and then when I try to wash it it's impossible to clean and dry. I'm going to have to completely re-season it.

My regular Lodge skillet and dutch oven are great, however.

We got one of those cornbread skillets that had individual sections. It was the same, too much of a pain to use very often.

A quick way to season: Oil the skillet and put the skillet on a gas grill on high and close the lid. After the skillet stops smoking, take it out and let cool for a few minutes. Oil again and repeat.

I did this with a wok and it came out great. I did four cycles.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We got one of those cornbread skillets that had individual sections. It was the same, too much of a pain to use very often.

A quick way to season: Oil the skillet and put the skillet on a gas grill on high and close the lid. After the skillet stops smoking, take it out and let cool for a few minutes. Oil again and repeat.

I did this with a wok and it came out great. I did four cycles.

I don't have a grill, but from what I've read it sounds like an oven should work.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

55 minutes ago, jamo said:

I don't have a grill, but from what I've read it sounds like an oven should work.

It can, but it will smoke, so open the windows and turn on the fan! You can do it stove top too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Mumbai chaat and version of grilled cheese. Desserts. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve

• Administrator
On June 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM, nevets88 said:

image.jpeg

Heini's! We go there every year (on a quick trip to Ohio Amish country). I still have some butter cheese from our trip there last year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Heini's! We go there every year (on a quick trip to Ohio Amish country). I still have some butter cheese from our trip there last year.

That Heini cheese was good.  Should have bought 2. 

Steve

Ah, this harkens back to my university days, when food trucks weren't a thing like they are today, but a source of cheap, tasty and filling fare. This is outside of Columbia University, spoiled rats :-)image.jpeg

Steve

Sloppy trimming but I am pleased with the result. Bones came out dry pulled one from the middle of the rack. Not much babysitting with the Traeger just misting with apple juice here and there. Juicy for sure. 

image.jpeg