16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Made shrimp and scallop ramen

You started with this...

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Add in cooked udon noodles

Then wrote this in the recipe?!? You didn't make ramen at all! 😜

Glad you liked it, though 😂

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Then wrote this in the recipe?!? You didn't make ramen at all! 😜

Glad you liked it, though 😂

I got work with what I got. 

What would you call it closest to? 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just now, saevel25 said:

I got work with what I got. 

What would you call it closest to? 

Udon.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Udon.

OK, Udon then 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

OK, Udon then 😉

I'm just poking a little fun, Matt, but ramen is a type of noodle, not just a generic name for noodles in soup.

http://japanology.org/2016/07/5-types-of-noodles-udon-ramen-soba-yakisoba-and-somen/

It's a little like making linguine with clam sauce and calling it spaghetti with clam sauce.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm just poking a little fun, Matt, but ramen is a type of noodle, not just a generic name for noodles in soup.

http://japanology.org/2016/07/5-types-of-noodles-udon-ramen-soba-yakisoba-and-somen/

It's a little like making linguine with clam sauce and calling it spaghetti with clam sauce.

I didn't know if the dish drifted away to a different dish type based on other aspects of the dish. 

I suspect some people would think Udon doesn't just have to be made with Udon noodles, but other traditional ingredients. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I didn't know if the dish drifted away to a different dish type based on other aspects of the dish.

Ramen and udon specifically describe the type of noodle in a dish. It's just like spaghetti or penne in an Italian dish.

There are different ways to prepare the same noodle and similar ways to prepare different noodles.

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I suspect some people would think Udon doesn't just have to be made with Udon noodles, but other traditional ingredients.

Well technically you wouldn't call something just "udon" either. Typically a description of the dish would come with the name of the noodles, for example yaki udon is stir fried udon and nabeyaki udon is a soup dish. But if you call something udon, it means there's udon in it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

This is clever. There has to be a way for more earth friendly packaging though.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Cinnamon raisin bagel with lox and capers? That's just wrong.

http://gothamist.com/2018/09/10/nixon_bagel_order_barf.php

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Cinnamon raisin bagel with lox and capers? That's just wrong.

http://gothamist.com/2018/09/10/nixon_bagel_order_barf.php

I'd try it.

People's perception of food is heavily driven by what they are familiar with. Cinnamon raisin bagel with lox and capers may sound wrong, but flavor-wise, cinnamon and raisin with onion and capers? Sounds Mediterranean.

Bill

My Swing Thread

So this past Saturday was my 34th anniversary.  Pretty common, one of us was out of town, this time it was Mary Anne, who got back from the beach about midnight.  That left me to plan anniversary dinner for Sunday.  I'm pretty pleased, I made osso buco, with porcini risotto.  She took a photo before we wolfed it down, I'll try to post if she'll send it to me.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

45 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

So this past Saturday was my 34th anniversary.

Happy anniversary!

46 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm pretty pleased, I made osso buco, with porcini risotto.  She took a photo before we wolfed it down, I'll try to post if she'll send it to me.

That sounds really good. I haven't had osso buco in a long time.

My trip to CT earlier this summer got me obsessed with fresh pasta and I made my own for the first time on Sunday. Came out well even though I made it with AP flour. Had a pasta roller in the basement, apparently. Going to use that next time I make homemade Chinese noodles, too. So much easier than hand rolling.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Happy anniversary!

That sounds really good. I haven't had osso buco in a long time.

My trip to CT earlier this summer got me obsessed with fresh pasta and I made my own for the first time on Sunday. Came out well even though I made it with AP flour. Had a pasta roller in the basement, apparently. Going to use that next time I make homemade Chinese noodles, too. So much easier than hand rolling.

I'm glad the local fare could provide inspiration!

I'm moving in a few weeks to a place that's about a mile from that restaurant too. Could get dangerous. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So this past Saturday was my 34th anniversary.  Pretty common, one of us was out of town, this time it was Mary Anne, who got back from the beach about midnight.  That left me to plan anniversary dinner for Sunday.  I'm pretty pleased, I made osso buco, with porcini risotto.  She took a photo before we wolfed it down, I'll try to post if she'll send it to me.

Congrats Dave! That dish sounds (tastes?) awesome.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'm glad the local fare could provide inspiration!

I'm glad you brought me there! Totally have to go back next time I'm in town.

19 minutes ago, jamo said:

I'm moving in a few weeks to a place that's about a mile from that restaurant too. Could get dangerous. 

I could see myself eating there once a week if I lived that close. Maybe you could make yourself walk there :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

So one of my favorite simple meals is pork butt in the slow cooker. Obviously I don't have time to the whole cook the pig in the ground over many hours....But I tell ya what; Rub the pork down with Hawaiian Black Lava salt, line the slow cooker bottom with strips of bacon, add a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke..8hrs on low and that pig comes out not only looking but tasting like it was done ole' South Carolina style. Very good.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So one of my favorite simple meals is pork butt in the slow cooker. Obviously I don't have time to the whole cook the pig in the ground over many hours....But I tell ya what; Rub the pork down with Hawaiian Black Lava salt, line the slow cooker bottom with strips of bacon, add a couple tablespoons of liquid smoke..8hrs on low and that pig comes out not only looking but tasting like it was done ole' South Carolina style. Very good.

One of the easiest ways to make pork butt is in the slow cooker and it comes out juicy and delicious. My wife makes it "Kalua-style" with Hawaiian alaea salt, wrapping it in a banana leaf, and cooking it with a little bit of liquid smoke. Very good and versatile. It can be served many different ways and freezes well.

Bill

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

One of the easiest ways to make pork butt is in the slow cooker and it comes out juicy and delicious. My wife makes it "Kalua-style" with Hawaiian alaea salt, wrapping it in a banana leaf, and cooking it with a little bit of liquid smoke. Very good and versatile. It can be served many different ways and freezes well.

That sound really good as well. I need to try the banana leaf. I’m not familiar with Hawaiian alaea salt. I use the black lava salt really for its color since it gives the pork that charcoaled/ash look.