IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That sound really good as well. I need to try the banana leaf. I’m not familiar with Hawaiian alaea salt. I use the black lava salt really for its color since it gives the pork that charcoaled/ash look.

https://balancedbodyhealth.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/5-reasons-to-use-hawaiian-red-alaea-salt/

I'm not saying I buy what the article is claiming about the benefits of alaea salt, but it does have a subtle mineral character than kosher salt (my everyday cooking salt) lacks. It won't have as much smoky punch as black lava salt.

Banana leaf definitely imparts a flavor. It's kind of a woody, earthy thing. Hard to describe if you've never had anything steamed and wrapped in leaves, but if you have you'll know what I'm talking about.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

but if you have you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh yes! I was in the Peace Corps...did three years in Gabon, Africa. I know it very well. Never in a crock pot...well..a crock pot made of mud yes ....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Oh yes! I was in the Peace Corps...did three years in Gabon, Africa. I know it very well. Never in a crock pot...well..a crock pot made of mud yes ....

Then you know what I'm talking about! We tried it once without the banana leaf, it just wasn't as good. We get ours from the grocery store in frozen food section by the Latino foods.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Then you know what I'm talking about! We tried it once without the banana leaf, it just wasn't as good. We get ours from the grocery store in frozen food section by the Latino foods.

Well I'm in Florida so I'll just head outside and get one off one of the trees! Thanks for the idea of using it with the pork! Gonna do that soon!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Congrats Dave! That dish sounds (tastes?) awesome.

Yeah, it tasted as good as I had hoped, maybe even better.  The veal braises in onion, carrot, celery, tomatoes, and wine for a couple of hours.  Not only does it taste good, the house smells incredible.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm pretty pleased, I made osso buco, with porcini risotto. 

Osso Buco is so good! I had it for the first time this year down at Pinehurst. I need to find a place around my area that sells the cut of pork needed for it. I think I could make this in my Instant Pot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Osso Buco is so good! I had it for the first time this year down at Pinehurst. I need to find a place around my area that sells the cut of pork needed for it. I think I could make this in my Instant Pot.

Traditionally osso buco uses veal shank, but I'm sure you could use pork shank or even lamb shank with excellent results.  Other than the initial sear of the meat, I'm sure you could make this in a slow cooker.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Queens diner makes an Arnold Palmer donut. Orange glaze on a frosted donut looks like?

http://gothamist.com/2018/09/24/comfortland_doughnut_shop_preview.php#photo-6

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 4.24.44 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Queens diner makes an Arnold Palmer donut. Orange glaze on a frosted donut looks like?

Article says it's covered in iced tea and lemonade glazes, which makes more sense.

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Article says it's covered in iced tea and lemonade glazes, which makes more sense.

Ah, is iced tea glaze orange though? May stop by and try some and report back. #livefatdieyum

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Ah, is iced tea glaze orange though? May stop by and try some and report back. #livefatdieyum

I'm guessing the iced tea glaze is the brown glaze the donut is covered in and the lemonade glaze is the orange stuff drizzled on top. Might just be the color in the picture, maybe it's yellow?

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm guessing the iced tea glaze is the brown glaze the donut is covered in and the lemonade glaze is the orange stuff drizzled on top. Might just be the color in the picture, maybe it's yellow?

That makes sense. Arnie lives on in pastry glory!

Steve

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about wine, but I got this bundle below - anyone know if these indie wines are good?

https://nakedwines.com/cases/just-for-our-angels-all-american-case.htm

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.56.03 AM.png

Figured, 12 bottles for $80 (got a coupon) is a decent deal, even if it's passable wine.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.58.06 AM.png

Steve

18 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't know much about wine, but I got this bundle below - anyone know if these indie wines are good?

https://nakedwines.com/cases/just-for-our-angels-all-american-case.htm

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.56.03 AM.png

Figured, 12 bottles for $80 (got a coupon) is a decent deal, even if it's passable wine.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.58.06 AM.png

No clue, but wine is one of those subjective things. You might like something I hate and vice versa. Just write down which ones you liked so you know for next time.

Bill

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

No clue, but wine is one of those subjective things. You might like something I hate and vice versa. Just write down which ones you liked so you know for next time.

Good idea. I do know I like Moscatos, lol.

Steve

I don't know any of the other ones but the Richard Bruno Cab is top shelf. I would buy a case of that by itself for $15 a bottle. 

Vishal S.

• 3 weeks later...

Fightin' words for In and Out, In n' Out, whatever the correct spelling is.

https://altaonline.com/innout-review/

Steve

@billchao Just an update. I made the pork again and used your banana leaf advice....wow. I mean, wow. It was awesome! I still went with my black lava salt but the leaf really made a difference. Thanks for sharing that.