IGNORED

Why is Calvin Peete not talked about?

RightEdge
Note: This thread is 3603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He may have dominated in fairways hit, but he was not a particularly long, and that seems to define the best drivers far more than accuracy.

Right.

Let's come back in 10 or 15 years and see how many people are talking about Fred Funk.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thought some golfers may be interested in the impact of Tiger Woods and the aspects of skin color on Tour and otherwise.  At least one chapter in book is devoted to PGA and skin color.  Joe Louis, highly regarded heavy weight Afro-Amer boxers,  the first black man to play  in PGA pro golf tourney found first hole cup packed with shit...human shit.  And this in Phoenix, 1952.

http://thesandtrap.com/products/the-passion-of-tiger-woods-an-anthropologist-reports-on-golf-race-and-celebrity-scandal-by-orin-starn/reviews/4808

As far as that chap who cries out that 'life ain't fair' and it's all due to his skin color, i gotta laugh.  Suggest he try life as an super-pale albino for a week if he thinks dark is miserable.  The truth, at least for me, is that 'life' and 'fair' do not belong in  the same sentence.  The Myth of Sisyphus requires each of us to roll our personal rock up the hill each day, only to find the rock rolls back each night. Somedays the path is smooth and the rock round, so the going is easy and joyful. Other days the path is potholed and muddy, the rock not round. But every day, each man pushes his own private rock.  My need is to  learn to enjoy those tiny flowers along the path and welcome tomorrow.

I cried 'unfair' yesterday at range.  Learned that one hour cost $10, but 3 hours cost $12. But no slots open for 3 hours. 'Unfair'.  Glad i had the ten-spot.

If you google Calvin Peete, this comes up on the first page. I loved that white hat!

http://thesandtrap.com/b/profiles/calvin_peete

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Joe I feel ya I get discrmenated on a daily basis . Everywhere everywhere it happens Something need to be done with this . Equal opportunity is a joke exactly what Mr Peete and Mr Siford felt . Than they a. Black tiger and lie about women to knock him down . Man always put us down

Joe I feel ya I get discrmenated on a daily basis . Everywhere everywhere it happens Something need to be done with this . Equal opportunity is a joke exactly what Mr Peete and Mr Siford felt . Than they a. Black tiger and lie about women to knock him down . Man always put us down

Interesting, perhaps it's where you live. I rarely see much in the way of discrimination towards others around here, of course it's very diverse around my area so that could be a reason why. Growing up it in a smaller country town was different for sure, though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

This all a bit :offtopic: .

Back to Calvin Peete please.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Hope this guy doesn't find the Sterling or Stop and Frisk threads. Lol

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Watcha sayin. ? Grammar? My kind isn't educated like your kind?

Tipical. White response

Not racial ? Wish worlds was this way

I'll be headin back to the bad grammar ghetto

Never had chance to explain Mr Peete .. And all racial tensions he felt his entire life . Paved roads for us I'm an Converted muslim is that fine ? Iranian flag for my father ok withya ! I'm outta here , sorry to offend

Maybe your inability to coherently communicate your thoughts and not your skin color is the reason you feel discriminated against.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Don't feed the troll, guys.  His comments aren't worth :poo:

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Ok, I understand your frustration. I grew up in Eastern Shore MD, and can confidently state that my family was one of maybe 2 in the entire 30 mile radius with the same hair color much less the same race. Reading between the lines, I understand exactly what you are saying, and agree that discrimination happens. However, we are given free will to move to a location where we feel more comfortable. This is exactly what I did. Now, I get discrimination because of my tanned skin (as in golfer's tan) from people within my own race. Funny how that happens? I had similar issues on this forum a couple years ago, because my writing skills had a lot left to be desired. English is, as I stated in earlier posts, my 3rd language. It has been my primary language for almost 30 years, so there are no real excuses for any bad writing on my part. My grammar is a little redundant sometimes, but that's something I need to live with. I do try to convey my real thoughts on any topic, because the words we write are the only thing we use to communicate what we feel on this public forum.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Back on topic,

I didn't start to watch golf until the late 90's so I was unfamiliar with Calvin Peete.  to be fair, I also never heard of John Mahaffey, Sandy Lyle, Mark McCumber and Jodie Mudd all of whom also won The Players Championship, 1986, 1987, 1988 and 1990 respectively.  I appreciate the historical reference and enjoyed his videos, thank you.

I thought it was interesting in watching some of his videos that one of the all time straightest guys off the tee violated one of the old cardinal rules that says the rear leg should remain bent, in watching his swing you can see clearly that his back leg straightens quite a bit on his backswing.

Joe Paradiso

I wouldn't call "whorippedit" a troll. It's his opinion. It doesn't scare me. I don't know anything about Calvin Peete's situation but I am among the people who believe that racism is still alive and well in 2014. Not that it can be easily identified as the reason behind phenomena like Calvin Peete being overlooked by the golf world. It's probably far too simplistic to make such a claim but on the other hand I believe it is naive to reflexively poo-poo a claim simply because it might implicate some ugly human tendencies. This is probably the wrong place to say this but it seems to me like race relations in the US have stagnated (arguably regressed) since the 80s.

It is interesting that it took someone like Tiger with his distance to overwhelm the golfing world, and that a player like Calvin was mostly ignored.

The "Wow" factor is definitely a draw for anyone. Honestly, watching videos of scratch or single digit golfers is pretty boring. I would rather watch someone hit a ball 350 yards into trees and the drama of getting it back into play by hitting between two tree branches with a large curving trajectory. Race is not as big a factor as the "Wow" factor, this is the biggest draw of Tiger, Phil and Bubba.

This is like asking the non golf nut who would you rather watch playing: Luke Donald, Adam Scott or Bubba Watson. Most people will say Bubba. They've probably never even heard of Luke Donald nor Adam Scott.

Plus, if they hit fairways all the time how could you (the common player) possibly relate to that?!?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Didn't know Calvin was with Hopkins Golf, cool.

I just looked it up. He's on the Champions Tour, I guess.

http://hopkinsgolf.com/page/tour

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It is interesting that it took someone like Tiger with his distance to overwhelm the golfing world, and that a player like Calvin was mostly ignored.

The "Wow" factor is definitely a draw for anyone. Honestly, watching videos of scratch or single digit golfers is pretty boring. I would rather watch someone hit a ball 350 yards into trees and the drama of getting it back into play by hitting between two tree branches with a large curving trajectory. Race is not as big a factor as the "Wow" factor, this is the biggest draw of Tiger, Phil and Bubba.

This is like asking the non golf nut who would you rather watch playing: Luke Donald, Adam Scott or Bubba Watson. Most people will say Bubba. They've probably never even heard of Luke Donald nor Adam Scott.

Plus, if they hit fairways all the time how could you (the common player) possibly relate to that?!?

Big difference is Tiger was a phenom as a kid.  He lots of expectations and met all of them and more.  Peete was a late bloomer and was really a journeyman player with one stellar victory.  Very good player, but not the sensational player that wins the US Open at Pebble Beach by 10+ strokes.  The other guys that @newtogolf mentioned are similar to Peete.  We don't hear about them because we can talk about Faldo, Norman, Crenshaw, Ballesteros, Watson, Langer and the other multiple major winners of the 70s and 80s.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3603 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!