IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

Thanks. I think. :) We wanted to hammer that part home, but at the end of the day it's awfully simple.

Golf is hard.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After reading the chapter on shot zones, I started wondering how I can go about getting this done.

I asked the pro at the course where I joined the men's club if they had a place where I could hit a bunch of balls and he said go ahead in the lessons area  (a huge fairway like area). So I have a place but not sure just how to go about it as far as measuring it all out. It sure seems like maybe finding a place with a flight scope might be a lot easier.

I am open to any suggestions.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

• Administrator

After reading the chapter on shot zones, I started wondering how I can go about getting this done.

I asked the pro at the course where I joined the men's club if they had a place where I could hit a bunch of balls and he said go ahead in the lessons area  (a huge fairway like area). So I have a place but not sure just how to go about it as far as measuring it all out. It sure seems like maybe finding a place with a flight scope might be a lot easier.

I am open to any suggestions.

Put a flag or your bag out at the targeted yardage. Hit 20 balls. Plot them out relative to that flag/bag. Move the flag/bag to the next yardage and plot them again.

For the driver, just worry about left/right tendencies as well as knowing your carry yardage.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Put a flag or your bag out at the targeted yardage. Hit 20 balls. Plot them out relative to that flag/bag. Move the flag/bag to the next yardage and plot them again.

For the driver, just worry about left/right tendencies as well as knowing your carry yardage.

Hmm, I always hit the balls, then leave my bag where I hit from and then use my rangefinder to see where how far the balls traveled.

Then I lament because my oval is so big. :(

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Went and hit 10balls with wedge.8 iron, 6 iron 4 hybrid, 3 hybrid 3 wood and driver on the launch monitor at my local golf shop. 9,7,gw and SW are all estimates based on the above readings from my wedge. Shot pattern dispersion as predicted was a slight draw to 6 iron. Fade the rest. Knowing these yardage and shot patterns I'm now able to go out and start to play some serious golf. Shot a 77 on Wednesday and was very pleased. If you are at all entertaining the idea of sorting out yardage and shot dispersion do it. It arms you with so much knowledge about your game. You can commit to every shot knowing that your going to get a 95% chance of hitting your target.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

Going to be reading this on the airplane flight to San Francisco tomorrow.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I found a local shop that has a Flightscope and spent time hitting with my clubs and getting my shot zones mapped.

Wow what an eye opener it was. Needless to say I will be looking at club choice and aiming a bit differently from now on.

I am consistently hitting left and short. I made myself a laminated tag for my bag with average distances and ranges to help in club choice.

Now on with the reading.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

I found a local shop that has a Flightscope and spent time hitting with my clubs and getting my shot zones mapped. Wow what an eye opener it was. Needless to say I will be looking at club choice and aiming a bit differently from now on. I am consistently hitting left and short. I made myself a laminated tag for my bag with average distances and ranges to help in club choice. Now on with the reading.

That shot zone/yardage and club selection is essential. Quick note I shot 80 in a monthly medal playing off 7. Front 9 I had 48 off the stick.i had no energy and very ill on the guts. I was very ill. Had something to eat and drink and shot 4 under 32 on the back nine with a bogey and 2 lip outs. It pays off to know your yardage and shot zones.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

I started reading Lowest Score Wins for the 2nd time. The beauty of the book is that if you read the info over/again, it makes so much sense.

Today I entered a discussion about practise in relation to lowering your score . I'll give the short version.  I said focus should be on practising with the driver/iron . Other guy said, focus should be on putting. Might be a false argument, but I asked him if he had the chance of playing against a pro, what would he choose: a putting contest or a driving/iron contest? Without thinking the answer was a putting contest. And then he realised what he said, the look on his face was priceless.

• Upvote 1

I started reading Lowest Score Wins for the 2nd time. The beauty of the book is that if you read the info over/again, it makes so much sense.

Today I entered a discussion about practise in relation to lowering your score . I'll give the short version.  I said focus should be on practising with the driver/iron . Other guy said, focus should be on putting. Might be a false argument, but I asked him if he had the chance of playing against a pro, what would he choose: a putting contest or a driving/iron contest? Without thinking the answer was a putting contest. And then he realised what he said, the look on his face was priceless.

I ask people the same thing every time I hear someone say "drive for show, putt for dough".  Most people never think about it, but when I show them my numbers on Game Golf, it blows their mind.  I average 1.7 putts per hole.  So does Lee Westwood.  McDowell and Furyk are really putting me in their dust at 1.6 per hole.  Then they start to realize that they are probably around that same number themselves and you can see the wheels turning in their head.  I would love to take credit for this but I always let them know where I am getting my info from.

Todd

Driver:  Cobra ZL Encore 9.5*

Woods:  Cobra AMP Fairway Adjustable 3-4W

Irons: Callaway XRPro S300 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, AW

Wedges:  Cobra Trusty Rusty - 53*, 57* / Callaway Mack Daddy PM - 60*, 64*

Putter: SeeMore SB2

Golf Ball:  Callaway SuperSoft

Yes, I carry 6 wedges, what are you gonna do about it?

For someone that doesn't have ability to just go to a course and map out my wedge distances. Can I just walk into PGA Superstore and say I need to hit my wedges and get the distances?

Finished sectioned 1 last night, great stuff so far! I look forward to trying out the method to reading putts.

For someone that doesn't have ability to just go to a course and map out my wedge distances. Can I just walk into PGA Superstore and say I need to hit my wedges and get the distances?

Finished sectioned 1 last night, great stuff so far! I look forward to trying out the method to reading putts.

I wouldn't. I find it difficult to get proper distances off mats with wedges. The wedge has a tendency to slide underneath the ball too much, and the flight can be to high.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I wouldn't. I find it difficult to get proper distances off mats with wedges. The wedge has a tendency to slide underneath the ball too much, and the flight can be to high.

Good point, I'll have to try and figure it out then!

I wouldn't either.  For me it is something mental.  I swing about 5-10 miles an hour less on a simulator indoors than I do on the course.  Therefore the numbers I get on a simulator do not match how I actually perform on the course.

Todd

Driver:  Cobra ZL Encore 9.5*

Woods:  Cobra AMP Fairway Adjustable 3-4W

Irons: Callaway XRPro S300 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, AW

Wedges:  Cobra Trusty Rusty - 53*, 57* / Callaway Mack Daddy PM - 60*, 64*

Putter: SeeMore SB2

Golf Ball:  Callaway SuperSoft

Yes, I carry 6 wedges, what are you gonna do about it?

I asked him if he had the chance of playing against a pro, what would he choose: a putting contest or a driving/iron contest? Without thinking the answer was a putting contest. And then he realised what he said, the look on his face was priceless.

This is a genius response.  You can totally do it in a friendly way but at the same time there's really no response other than recognition that (almost) every amateur has way more to improve with their full swing than around/on the green.  I'm totally using this.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

This is a genius response.  You can totally do it in a friendly way but at the same time there's really no response other than recognition that (almost) every amateur has way more to improve with their full swing than around/on the green.  I'm totally using this.

I do not know the exact page in the LSW book, but is was written somewhere. It totally opened my eyes and I am using it time after time. But there are a lot of stuburn golfers out there...