IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

@iacas and @david_wedzik

Sunday I was playing with a close friend of mine.  I gave him one of my signed copies to for his birthday in July.  I am just off the green with about 3 feet of fringe and a foot of light rough.  It is downhill to the hole about 30 feet away.   He asks, "do you want the pin out?"  I answer, "Didn't you read the book?"  He says yes.  He then states that a bunch of other guys he plays with argued with him that leaving  the pin in is bad.  I then quote from the book, "If it wasn't an advantage, they wouldn't make you take it out."

I proceed to use the @mvmac Chipping with a Putting method.  The ball rolls gently toward the hole, hits the pin and sinks into the cup.  I win the hole :dance:

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas and @david_wedzik Sunday I was playing with a close friend of mine.  I gave him one of my signed copies to for his birthday in July.  I am just off the green with about 3 feet of fringe and a foot of light rough.  It is downhill to the hole about 30 feet away.   He asks, "do you want the pin out?"  I answer, "Didn't you read the book?"  He says yes.  He then states that a bunch of other guys he plays with argued with him that leaving  the pin in is bad.  I then quote from the book, "If it wasn't an advantage, they wouldn't make you take it out."   I proceed to use the @mvmac Chipping with a Putting method.  The ball rolls gently toward the hole, hits the pin and sinks into the cup.  I win the hole  :dance:

You can lead a horse to water... ;-) Nice job, Scott!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

He then states that a bunch of other guys he plays with argued with him that leaving  the pin in is bad.

Those other guys are wrong. :)

The ball is more likely to go in unless the flagstick is leaning so much a ball literally won't fit between it and the hole.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Those other guys are wrong. :)

The ball is more likely to go in unless the flagstick is leaning so much a ball literally won't fit between it and the hole.

Oh dear. I've bought the book, have not received it yet, but I am already curious why it would be an advantage to leave the pin in the cup. I have to say that most of the times I take the flag out. Flag out is more room.

Can't waite :banana:

Oh dear. I've bought the book, have not received it yet, but I am already curious why it would be an advantage to leave the pin in the cup. I have to say that most of the times I take the flag out. Flag out is more room.

Can't waite

Flag out means there is nothing to stop a putt that's too hot. The "extra room" is in the center of the cup, so unless the ball is travelling way too fast it's going in anyway, and if it is traveling way too fast the flagstick may actually stop it and let it drop.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh no, now you've spoiled it....

Has it shipped yet? Maybe it's not too late to cancel your order.

:-P

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You can also have stupid stuff happen. My co-worker was in a bunker and bladed his shot. It hit the actual flag on the flag stick and dropped down to a tap in. If it didn't catch the fabric, it would have been off the green. He just shook his head and laughed after that happened.

The only time I think it would be a disadvantage is in full shots coming into the green. Just because you could have the Master's Tiger incident, were the ball hit the stick and ended up in the water. That rarely happens, not even worth the time to walk and have the flag stick pulled. I know Phil pulls the flag stick on important longer pitch shots, when he's trying to hole out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You can also have stupid stuff happen. My co-worker was in a bunker and bladed his shot. It hit the actual flag on the flag stick and dropped down to a tap in. If it didn't catch the fabric, it would have been off the green. He just shook his head and laughed after that happened.

The only time I think it would be a disadvantage is in full shots coming into the green. Just because you could have the Master's Tiger incident, were the ball hit the stick and ended up in the water. That rarely happens, not even worth the time to walk and have the flag stick pulled. I know Phil pulls the flag stick on important longer pitch shots, when he's trying to hole out.

I wonder if that is a psychological thing for Phil. Sending a message to his brain that not only is it makable but HE WILL MAKE IT.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I wonder if that is a psychological thing for Phil. Sending a message to his brain that not only is it makable but HE WILL MAKE IT.

I'd like to think that, as a Pelz student, Phil would know to leave the stick in, so I'm inclined to agree with you.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

To buy, or not to buy???  I must say, I'm a huge fan of solid statistics and logical thought processes related to course strategy and lowering your scores - who isn't?.  I'm a simple deep thinker on the golf course lol....  I don't give tons of thought to my swing or making corrections on the course but more playing with whatever my shot shape is looking like that day.  I simply look at my lie, decide what gives me the most consistent result, and adjust to have my miss end up in the best and safest location...  Sometimes that miss is at the pin.  (generalized statement- yes, there are times I play very aggressive- that's fun!).

I'm really not sure why I haven't bought the book yet - it's not that I think I know it all because I don't...   I do enjoy and support this site and like to contribute where I can...   But every time I think of buying the book.... I use that money on green fees instead!!!!    I think I have a problem...   It's like I'm going to the fridge to make a salad and keep stopping at the damn cookie jar...

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

To buy, or not to buy???  I must say, I'm a huge fan of solid statistics and logical thought processes related to course strategy and lowering your scores - who isn't?.  I'm a simple deep thinker on the golf course lol....  I don't give tons of thought to my swing or making corrections on the course but more playing with whatever my shot shape is looking like that day.  I simply look at my lie, decide what gives me the most consistent result, and adjust to have my miss end up in the best and safest location...  Sometimes that miss is at the pin.  (generalized statement- yes, there are times I play very aggressive- that's fun!).

I'm really not sure why I haven't bought the book yet - it's not that I think I know it all because I don't...   I do enjoy and support this site and like to contribute where I can...   But every time I think of buying the book.... I use that money on green fees instead!!!!    I think I have a problem...   It's like I'm going to the fridge to make a salad and keep stopping at the damn(it) cookie jar...

FTFY. ;)

• Upvote 3

FTFY. ;)

Thanks! - "Stupid Monkey Approach" - I respect your opinions - I'm not asking why....   Transaction complete, and now awaiting my copy!

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Has it shipped yet? Maybe it's not too late to cancel your order.

Waste of my money. B-);-) Played yesterday, had a fabulous drive followed by a horrible second. Had a 55 yard pitch shot, pin high. I decided to leave the flag (never thought of pitching it in, hoped to pitch it close). Crisp contact, one bounce, ball hit the pin and it dropped straight in for the birdie!! Probably once in a lifetime hahaha.

Still nothing in the mailbox.... :-\

Glad to say I have received the book. Loods great. I have started. A lot makes sense and seems logical. Have to say I Miss some pictures. If I have questions I will ask.

I absolutely LOVE this book. Time has been an issue, but have 40 pages left. I can't wait to finish it and read it again. Great job fellas.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Just ordered my copy today. Getting it across the Pacific ocean isn't a cheap exercise, but I'm sure it will be worth it :roll:

Chris.:roll: