• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
newtogolf

ESPN Offers Tiger Only Broadcast Coverage at The Open

newtogolf    957
Quote:

The return of the British Open to Royal Liverpool marks Tiger Woods’ return to major competition — an occasion duly noted by ESPN.

As part of its coverage of the event, ESPN3 will offer a live feed following Woods for the entirety of every round he plays .  Woods has yet to compete in a major this season, having missed the Masters and the U.S. Open due to back surgery (and TV ratings have sagged during his absence). But he’s returning to a site of happy memories. In 2006, the last time Royal Liverpool hosted the Open, Tiger collected his 11th major title, shooting a four-round total of 18-under par, and hitting all but one green in regulation on Sunday.

In addition to its live Tiger feed, ESPN will offer more than 65 total hours of television coverage of the Open, including live coverage of all four rounds July 17-20. According to the network, ESPN and WatchESPN will carry 11 scheduled hours of live play for the first two rounds starting Thursday at 4 a.m. Eastern. For Saturday’s third round coverage will begin at 7 a.m. and the final round on Sunday will start at 6 a.m.

Seems ESPN hasn't forgotten who moves the ratings needle.  Not only with their regular coverage feature plenty of Tiger Woods but they are offering exclusive coverage of just Tiger on ESPN3.  It will be interesting to see what the ratings for ESPN3.

http://hotlinks.golf.com/2014/07/10/espn-to-tiger-woods-only-broadcast-during-british-open/?sct=hp8

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yukari    89
I for one will be watching ESPN3! Unless of course, Tiger tanks early.

RJH999    75
So to get espn3 on my iphone, i have to download watchESPN? And it will be on there? I'll be flying and in NYC

newtogolf    957

I for one will be watching ESPN3!

Unless of course, Tiger tanks early.

Me too, I like being able to follow specific golfers through their entire round rather than just see the bits and pieces the networks decide to show us.

Yukari    89

So to get espn3 on my iphone, i have to download watchESPN? And it will be on there? I'll be flying and in NYC

Yes, that is correct.  I have WatchESPN on my iPhone.

RJH999    75
Yes, that is correct.  I have WatchESPN on my iPhone.

Thank you sir, WatchESPN is ass for me because it doesn't have DirecTV

tmac20    33
What's the point of this? They show all of his shots on the normal broadcast anyways...

nevets88    805

Hold on there young fella. Download it. Sign in and stream something first. Then I'd be sure you can watch it on the plane. Your provider may not have an agreement with ESPN.

RJH999    75
Hold on there young fella. Download it. Sign in and stream something first. Then I'd be sure you can watch it on the plane. Your provider may not have an agreement with ESPN.

WatchESPN can go eat a dick lol.

nevets88    805
WatchESPN can go eat a dick lol.

I was able to catch little bits of the World Cup on my smartphone. Worked like a charm. On a Chromecast it's spotty. Worked half the time during the World Cup. LPGA never had a problem.

nevets88    805
I think there's a positive side to this. It'll pave the way to more custom individual streams. Not just Woods or the big draws. But as tech gets cheaper, more coverage that's evenly distributed. Like one day they'll stream the last 10 groups separately. That... would be cool.

Ernest Jones    993

I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut… :tumble:

Zeph    182

Sounds good to me. People want to watch Tiger; let them watch Tiger.

Patch    317

I may switch over from time to time o ESPN-3, but I won't watch Tiger's complete round. I will be watching  the other channels that show who else is playing, more than I will Tigervision. . I'll watch in between naps, since watching golf on TV is a really good sleep sedative for me.

I suppose I should go by the sports book, and see what the over/under is for expletives bleeped out should Tiger have a bad round,...............or two.

Yukari    89

I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut…

Hence my qualifier...

;-)

Valleygolfer    310

I will be watching, it is about time they just make a all Tiger channel anyway. Tiger practicing, Tiger prepping for The Open, Tiger eating dinner, Tiger sleeping and Tiger boinking Lindsey.....

In all seriousness though, I love following a round on the course in its entirety. It gives you a good perspective of how it is playing. Just see shots doesn't give that to you. Plus side too that you get the watch the historically greatest active golfer in golf. Kudos for ESPN for making this decision, it should free up the broadcasting for other channels and I we will see how much he moves the needle directly.

David in FL    1,520
I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut…:tumble:

Then some of us would have been enormously entertained for 2 days.... ;-) Honestly though, a smart move for ESPN....!