IGNORED

Dick's Sporting Goods Fires In-Store Golf Pros

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope this means the return of the independent golf shop.

I'm no economist, but I don't see anything that points in that direction. They still can't compete with the big chains that can purchase equipment in mass quantities and then offer it to the consumer at lower prices.

John

I'm no economist, but I don't see anything that points in that direction. They still can't compete with the big chains that can purchase equipment in mass quantities and then offer it to the consumer at lower prices.

One thing a golf shop can provide over a big chain is more personalized service. If they already know about you and your swing when you walk in the door, you spend less time messing around. I was talking to a guy at Golfsmith that I've worked with before, and he didn't remember me. Small shops tend to be better at such things.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing a golf shop can provide over a big chain is more personalized service. If they already know about you and your swing when you walk in the door, you spend less time messing around. I was talking to a guy at Golfsmith that I've worked with before, and he didn't remember me. Small shops tend to be better at such things.

Yeah, there's no question about that. But is the number of people who value quality service going to be anywhere near equal to the number looking to save as much money as they can? With price points where they're at, not likely. Not likely at all.

John

that sucks about all the pro's getting let go but i do understand the decline in golf. $350+ for a driver, $150+ for woods/hybrids each. $750-$1000 for irons $100+ wedges and putters $100+ plus rounds of golf in most places keep going up, memberships keep going up and sadly time of play seems to keep going up. who really wants to golf. or take up golf as a hobby. if golf companies want an increase in sales start lowering prices. each year equipment improves but the making of equipment stays the same (more or less) so theres really no need for jacked up prices. if golf courses want more players lower prices give people incentive to come out again. for the past 15 years its been a cake walk with tiger boosting the popularity of golf. we the golfers bought in to the hype and paid for it. now its our turn to reap the benefits. companies should start to "want" our business because its getting to the point that they "need" our business.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

PGA Pros can have lots of jobs and still be fulfilling the duties of a PGA member:

http://www.pga.com/pga-america/pga-information/pga-america-member-classifications

Architects, media, rules officials, club fitting, manufacturer management… :D The business operator at a facility.

I'm sure they do, and I'm further sure you would know. So thanks for making my point even more valid that selling retail stuff in a sporting good store doesn't seen to fit my paradigm on what they truly do.

I agree with most of what you said. Probably the reason higher end golf club manufacturers like PING, Titleist, and Mizuno didn't sell their equipment there.

Dicks sells Mizuno clubs.

• Administrator
I'm sure they do, and I'm further sure you would know. So thanks for making my point even more valid that selling retail stuff in a sporting good store doesn't seen to fit my paradigm on what they truly do.

Pros in pro shops sell in retail. I don't know how showing you that PGA pros have lots of jobs makes your point that they don't sell in retail. What they "truly do" is varied. Retail, shop operations, beverage operations, etc. are all things PGA members learn, are tested on, and so forth. Whether or not that really makes sense is, unfortunately, a different discussion.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And titleist, probably ping as well.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Pros in pro shops sell in retail.

I don't know how showing you that PGA pros have lots of jobs makes your point that they don't sell in retail. What they "truly do" is varied.

Retail, shop operations, beverage operations, etc. are all things PGA members learn, are tested on, and so forth.

Whether or not that really makes sense is, unfortunately, a different discussion.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to cause any kind of disrespect to you or your profession. I obviously do not understand like you do what you do. I concede that. But I do have to say you adding the additional things you do which I left off or misstated; I don't see how that adds to the discussion or my point. But hey, it's your site.

• Administrator
Fair enough. I'm not trying to cause any kind of disrespect to you or your profession.

To be fair, I don't really consider "the PGA" my profession. It's a title you can (buy) "earn" by jumping through enough hoops. I'm a golf instructor, author/writer, software developer, etc. :)

I obviously do not understand like you do what you do. I concede that. But I do have to say you adding the additional things you do which I left off or misstated; I don't see how that adds to the discussion or my point. But hey, it's your site.

You said " When I think of a golf pro, I think of the guy at the club giving lessons & running the pro shop; not working at Dick's. In a way, it almost seems undignified for the pro to work in that environment."

I showed you that your perception or idea of a PGA pro was misguided or wrong, and that they hold many kinds of jobs. But oy. Okay man, whatever. Still ticked about the hurricanes in Florida, I guess. :-)

I'm done if you are.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't know if this is still the case, but years ago, quite a few golf outlets were required to purchase a certain amount ($$inventory$$) in dollars, of various brands of clubs. If they did not buy enough clubs from a certain manufacturer, they were not allowed to stock/sell that particular brand of clubs. Perhaps this is what happened at Dick's. Being forced to stock clubs that were not selling, their golf over head required them to save money where they could. In almost every business, the quickest way to save money is in reduction in employees.

I read above where people going to get their swing measurements from an outlet, then buying some where's else, might be the problem. It could be. But, I remember when I was fitted, I had to pay for the fitting up front, and if I purchased my clubs from that fitter, they would credit the fitting cost towards the sale of the clubs. I went to three different club fitters, and paid them for their time. Luckily all three agreed on what I should be swinging, and I purchased my clubs per those three specs from a company in Kansas saving myself almost $300 for the set of clubs. Even after paying for the club fittings, I was still a head almost $200. At that time, that $200 was worth 5 or 6 rounds of golf.

As for Dick's in Henderson, Nevada, I have not been in that store for almost 8, or 9 years (?) to buy anything, simply because their prices were too far out of line with their competitors in the area for basically the same merchandise.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I hope this means the return of the independent golf shop.

Nice thought, but it likely won't happen.

I moved back to the St. Louis area in 2002, and I saw a number of small golf shops go  out of business in 2005 to 2007 time frame - really before the recession hit.

Part of it was demographic - these people had gotten started back in the 1970s and 1980s, and didn't have any children who wanted to run the shop, or employees who wanted to buy it. Also they faced bleed-off of customer traffic to multiple sources.

Two different guys I talked to during the "final days" sale at their shops told me this: One thing that hurt was WalMart and similar big retailers starting to carry a competitive mix of golf consumables: Tees and balls, gloves, etc. This cut down on the traffic in their shops from the casual golfers, and cut down on the number of relationships they could build with drop-in customers.

They said the WalMart effect, plus the arrival of Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith, was too much to overcome.

Also, Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy have solid "second wave" golf chain models. Some earlier chains were franchise-heavy, and did not take very good care of their franchisees. One well-traveled golf rep said they were more interested in collecting franchise fees, and profits from minimum inventory purchases, than helping their shop owners succeed.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

At work today, I saw an ad on ESPN for Dick's that talked about how all 560 stores or whatever have staff pros.  WTF?

I think it was on Around the Horn.

Yes, I have a TV in my office.  I sometimes work.

"Witty golf quote."

At work today, I saw an ad on ESPN for Dick's that talked about how all 560 stores or whatever have staff pros.  WTF?

I think it was on Around the Horn.

Yes, I have a TV in my office.  I sometimes work.

Could be that commercial was recorded Before the lay off.

Could be that commercial was recorded Before the lay off.

Of course it was.  But Dick's has, I don't know, an arsenal of commercials.  When you plan this layoff that hits the news (a guy at the bar tonight was talking about right next to me, and we discussed it) maybe sub in some other ad?

"Witty golf quote."

Of course it was.  But Dick's has, I don't know, an arsenal of commercials.  When you plan this layoff that hits the news (a guy at the bar tonight was talking about right next to me, and we discussed it) maybe sub in some other ad?

Maybe...they need to define the word Pro...? I.E. a professional salesman, ect. Just reaching here a bit, but they could always defend the term, I'm sure. Just guessing..

Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!