IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

• Administrator

Didn't look at the pics, just saw the yardages and thought it might be a problem with GAME golf, that's why I posted it here.

I've never seen two par-4's under 300 yards on one course before, let alone back-to-back. Pics don't look all that tough, but I'll take your word for it. Gotta be two fun little holes.....

Yup.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I know that they have been talking to Mark Broadie about how they can improve their product. I am sure that they would be glad to get your ideas as well.

Yes… and they've talked to us too. :)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never seen two par-4's under 300 yards on one course before, let alone back-to-back. Pics don't look all that tough, but I'll take your word for it. Gotta be two fun little holes.....

#4 is mostly hazards, as you can see by Erik's picture off the tee. Hit the fairway to the right and you still have a 60 yard approach over water to a green that's only 15 yards deep.

#5 isn't really that bad, but the greenside bunkers make it less appealing to drive the green.

Yes… and they've talked to us too. :)

Did you mention that they need more stat output? Seems like they're capable of producing a lot of good data on a round, and all they give you pretty much is GIR and fairways.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I might have to save up and buy one of these things. It looks very promising. :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I might have to save up and buy one of these things. It looks very promising.Β :dance:

Me too. I've been thinking about it for a while, so maybe I'll start saving for next season.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

#4 is mostly hazards, as you can see by Erik's picture off the tee. Hit the fairway to the right and you still have a 60 yard approach over water to a green that's only 15 yards deep.

Closer to 10 yards deep. The best angle is from the peninsula/corner of fairway left, so you have the depth of the green to run it up, but the tee shot becomes a HELL of a lot harder.

#5 isn't really that bad, but the greenside bunkers make it less appealing to drive the green.

And, you know, all the crap around the green left, right, long - fairway bunkers that are 60 yards short, red hazards everywhere else down the cliffs of a ravine, etc.

You can drive both greens. It's unadvisable to do so given the sizes of most people's Shot Zones.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

To me, the drawback of using these tools has been the lack of value from the amount of data input. Fairways hit, GIR, putts. Ok, great. In my mind, I could've pretty much guessed those within a few percent. I wanna know where I compare with others. For my handicap... Do I drive as far? As accurately? What are my strokes gained putting? Do I hit approaches as well from various yardages? When compared against pros... Where do I lose the most shots compared to their gold standard? I think the "shots gained" approach would be the most effective way to give us feedback on our game. Where are we losing shots compared to similar golfers? Tee shot, approaches, around green, putting? Telling me I hit 48.8% of fairways is good, but I want more. How do I stack up? How much is my fairways hit % really costing me in terms of strokes per round? If they collect tons of data, they can likely do these calculations for us.
  • Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

Didn't look at the pics, just saw the yardages and thought it might be a problem with GAME golf, that's why I posted it here.

In the one club challenge last Saturday, @Divot Master described #4 as "288 yards of pure evil".

- Shane

@iacas , @mvmac or anyone who has used this. How did the yardages for each hole from all the different tees get input? Did you do them yourself or use the data someone else input? Or is it already in there populated by some database?

Are the edits you make to correct human mistakes or mistakes by the device?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
@iacasΒ , @mvmacΒ or anyone who has used this. How did the yardages for each hole from all the different tees get input? Did you do them yourself or use the data someone else input? Or is it already in there populated by some database?

Are the edits you make to correct human mistakes or mistakes by the device?

I'm not sure what you're asking. What yardages? It's GPS - it knows where you hit each shot and the location of the next shot.

The edits are to move the little dots around a little. Sometimes it's not even GPS error. Sometimes I forget to tag a putt until I'm on the fringe, so I tag it there and know I can move it later.

The system has no way of knowing where the hole is, either, so you often have to adjust the "flag" dot to show where the hole is.

• Administrator

Can you go to the web site and get a history of the yardages you hit each club?

Like this?

Like this?

So when you adjust the pins on the website after the round. I think it assumes the pin is in the center of the green when you play. It then just consolidates all the shots around one pin in the image above?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• Administrator
So when you adjust the pins on the website after the round. I think it assumes the pin is in the center of the green when you play. It then just consolidates all the shots around one pin in the image above?

No. I think it assumes the hole is a few feet from your second (or third?) putt. I one-putted on the fourth hole for birdie and the hole was estimated to be near my lob wedge's finishing location.

But then yes I think it uses whatever you set as the hole location to determine the "how close you hit the shot" graphic I pasted above.

Obviously the software can never know what you're trying to do. If the hole is ten feet from water, you may aim 40 feet right and hit a perfect shot… which will show up as missing 40 feet right. But those may balance out, too.

Their approach will hurt people who apply #DeadCenter, though. :-D (Better to be putting from 40 feet than hitting out of a bunker from 25)

Like this?

@iacas , have you found that the use is at all intrusive to your routine?Β  How do you specifically go about tagging each shot?Β  Do you walk up to the ball, tag it, then step back and start your routine, or is it in your routine somehow?Β  I really want this (and could basically get it for "free" anytime) but my current worry is that the excitement I have now will be replaced by tedium once I start using it and it'll end up at the bottom of the bag.

And your graphic up above made me think of a question.Β  It wouldn't apply to me, but for somebody like you who travels a lot, and frequently uses different sets of irons ... can you buy extra sets of the buttons for all of your club sets so you can organize stats between your Miura 6 iron and your TM MB 6 iron, etc?

EDIT:Β  LOL, nevermind (from the Erie outing thread) ...

Originally Posted by iacas

Turn it on five minutes or so before you tee off. Also, you can tag your club at any time. The 60 second thing is pointless. If you're standing there waiting to hit your tee shot, tag your driver. If you're waiting in the fairway but have your club out, tag it then. That way you don't forget.

Unless you can make it part of your pre-shot routine… I think just try to remember to "tag whenever."

• Administrator

@iacasΒ , have you found that the use is at all intrusive to your routine?

No. Occasionally I forget whether I tagged a shot (or I double tag it in such a case), but the editing is so easy it's not a big deal either way.

How do you specifically go about tagging each shot?Β  Do you walk up to the ball, tag it, then step back and start your routine, or is it in your routine somehow?

I just tag it whenever I think of it. Sometimes it's when I'm putting the club away after hitting the shot. Sometimes it's before I hit it in my pre-shot routine. Sometimes it's while standing there waiting to hit.

I really want this (and could basically get it for "free" anytime) but my current worry is that the excitement I have now will be replaced by tedium once I start using it and it'll end up at the bottom of the bag.

I don't know if it's particularly "exciting" but it is interesting, and cool, and has the potential to be quite good in the future as they add to and improve the software and website.

Comparing you to other golfers is one of the first and best things they can and should do. More stats. MOAR!!! :D

And your graphic up above made me think of a question.Β  It wouldn't apply to me, but for somebody like you who travels a lot, and frequently uses different sets of irons ... can you buy extra sets of the buttons for all of your club sets so you can organize stats between your Miura 6 iron and your TM MB 6 iron, etc?

I think so. Mike lost his 6I tag, so I've been meaning to ask them about that.

I just saw a Bloomberg segment on golf, this competitor product was discussed:

https://arccosgolf.com/#/

It looks the same in concept except you don't have to tag your shots, the system detects you hitting the ball.

Similar price point too, it would be interesting if you could arrange a comparison, then whichever one you don't want you can ship to me. :whistle:

Brad