IGNORED

Derek Jeter's Retirement

iacas
Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've read through this thread a few times, and I honestly don't know what people are arguing about.

Agreed.

Disagree.

@jamo , if he didn’t know what was in this thread, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they don’t know is such [expletive] [expletive]. It really is, it’s such [expletive] [expletive]. For him to come on here and pretend otherwise — I was so insulted.  I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about @jamo , because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. @jamo 's a liar and I get to talk about that in this thread. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a die hard, life long Red Sox fan and Yankee hater, but if I were in the Stadium tonight, I would be proud to wear a Yankees hat and #2 jersey. In these days when a lot of athletes are getting press for all the wrong reasons, Jeter has always stood out for doing things the right way.Possibly the classiest guy in all sports.
  • Upvote 1

Possibly the greatest all around player in my lifetime. It goes deeper than geek stats - great player, great role model and always gave it his all . Bernie was my favorite of the group, but it is going to be a bit odd with someone else as SS next year.

Do you really think Jeter, who can wipe his ass with $25 million contacts, tries harder than a AA guy who takes buses to away games and can't even afford to eat at Arby's? I think they all try pretty damn hard.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Do you really think Jeter, who can wipe his ass with $25 million contacts, tries harder than a AA guy who takes buses to away games and can't even afford to eat at Arby's?

I think they all try pretty damn hard.

It is easy to try hard when going for something, but how many fail once they reach the majors? If you are not good enough, nobody cares.

Dont hate because your hero may or may not have used PEDS (allegedy)

Your boston disillusionment is really starting to show in this thread.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Do you really think Jeter, who can wipe his ass with $25 million contacts, tries harder than a AA guy who takes buses to away games and can't even afford to eat at Arby's?

I think they all try pretty damn hard.

C'mon Jamo, it's pretty obvious is you watch baseball that some try harder than others.  How many times did Manny get called out for not hustling?  The Mets have had issues with a number of players who didn't run out ground balls or pop ups.  Jeter was diving into dugouts and the stands long after he had nothing more to prove, that was just how he played.

Joe Paradiso

And Jeter ends his career with a walk off RBI single.

May be a meaningless game for the yanks, but as his most likely last at bat, this guy is just clutch.

• Upvote 2

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Come on.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I've read through this thread a few times, and I honestly don't know what people are arguing about.

That's because it doesn't make sense when people call a guy an overrated, unimpressive, no doubt first ballot hall of famer. :-P Seriously though, what an ending. No manufactured goodbye, just an inside out swing, opposite field, game winning, walk off, single.

• Upvote 1

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

alright @saevel25 , these are for you, from one of the leading sabermetric sites out there:

Quote:

I get that Derek Jeter is polarizing, and I get that it’s fun to criticize a player the media’s never stopped putting on a pedestal. It’s certainly worthwhile to note Jeter hasn’t been a great defensive shortstop. While he’ll have absolutely zero trouble getting into the Hall of Fame, defense still is important when it comes to our understanding of what he’s been as a player. Jeter has had his on-field shortcomings. But it’s also important to not get carried away. For his position, Jeter’s been one of the game’s worse defensive players. His position has included some of the very best defensive players in baseball. In terms of overall value, those about negate one another. In the end, the most correct opinion of Jeter’s defensive ability is, `Hey, he’s been all right.’

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-other-half-of-the-story-about-derek-jeters-defense/

Quote:

But that’s not the only misconception I heard fairly regularly about Jeter. Perhaps because his career spanned the era where nearly ever team had a shortstop who could hit 30 home runs, even Jeter’s offensive value has been called into question, and more than once, I’ve had people ask me if Jeter was even really a great hitter; would we hold him in the same high esteem if he had (perhaps rightfully) been moved to an easier defensive position earlier in his career?

Jeter wasn’t Ted Williams , but he also wasn’t just an okay hitter who stands out because of his positional peers. We shouldn’t just see Jeter as a great hitter for a shortstop, but a great hitter period.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/derek-jeter-not-just-a-good-hitter-for-a-shortstop/

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

alright @saevel25 , these are for you, from one of the leading sabermetric sites out there:

I never said he wasn't a great hitter. I was just saying he is overhyped due to the media, especially the media bias towards the Yankees. I get it, the Yankees are pretty much the gold standard for baseball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I never said he wasn't a great hitter. I was just saying he is overhyped due to the media, especially the media bias towards the Yankees. I get it, the Yankees are pretty much the gold standard for baseball.

I posted that because it went directly toward two arguments you made--that he's a bad defender, and that she should not be compared only to shortstops.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I posted that because it went directly toward two arguments you made--that he's a bad defender, and that she should not be compared only to shortstops.

Who know Derek Jeter was a girl! I didn't know that! :bugout:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Who know Derek Jeter was a girl! I didn't know that!

Come on, if you're gonna pick on a typo you've got to proof read first! :beer: You mean "Who knew Derek Jeter is a girl?"

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Come on, if you're gonna pick on a typo you've got to proof read first!    You mean "Who knew Derek Jeter is a girl?"

Mine didn't confuse gender :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Part II :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

That's a bit harsh.  I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near calling him the greatest player ever (that's cuckoo) but I also wouldn't say that he rode anybody's coattails.  He was the leader (or one of them) of the Yankees for the last 19 years.  Just glancing at his stats on mlb.com, during their 1998-2000 World Series stretch he batted .324, .349, .339, drove in 84, 102, 73 (as a 2 hitter), and scored 127, 134 and 119.

A lot of the (deserved) credit he gets is for the immeasurable stuff, but you can't tell me that somebody with those kind of numbers for a championship team was "riding coattails."  (And for the record, for their other two championships, 1996 and 2009,  he batted .314 and .334, and scored 104 and 107 runs, respectively.)

Speaking of immeasurables, one of the things that stands out to me (again, just glancing at the stats here on mlb.com) is how he was never hurt.  From his first full season in 1996 through the end of 2012 (17 seasons) he played less than 148 games two tmes.  119 in 2003, and 131 in 2011.

He wasn't the greatest ever, but he was really, really, really good.

P.S.  Just watched the video ... Olbermann is a douchebag.

I didn't watch the video and I agree with you the Olbermann is a douche bag!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 3517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!