IGNORED

Titleist AP2's for 15-18 handicappers

RaCs
Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I just wanted your views on the AP2's and whether they would suit players who have a handicap between 15-18? I have done a bit of research and spoken to a few people and have heard the following said more than once: 1. Purchase and play an iron that LOOKS and FEELS good to you however make sure you get fitted for the club. 2. If your ball striking is good and consistent then you will have no problems hitting the AP2 regardless of your handicap but any mishits will be punished by this club. My handicap is down to 16 now (don't know how to change it in my profile!) and I am more serious than ever about the game with my ultimate goal to get down to single figures! My ball striking I would say is good but my real strength lies in my short game which I feel is the most important part! I do struggle most of the tee but I am certainly not the worst! For my next set I would like to go AP1 or AP2 but for some reason the AP2 appeals way more to me! I have a fitting booked for Saturday and I can't wait to give both the AP1 and AP2 a go and deep down I really HOPE I can cope with the AP2 because if I can and the numbers show, its going to be a no brainer for me! Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Local Club - San Roque Golf & Country Club http://www.sanroqueclub.com/en/club-house/history Whats in my Nike M9 Cart Bag Nike VRS Covert Performance Driver Nike VR Pro 3 Wood Nike Slingshot 3 & 4 Hybrid Nike Slingshot Irons 5-PW Vokey SM5 52/8F, 56/14F Scotty Cameron Golo 3

My advice to you is to be open-minded. Go to your fitting and try out different irons and get the set that gives you the best results. This isn't a knock on you, but most high handicap players don't know what good ballstriking is. You're probably going to benefit more from a club with more forgiveness. Even low handicap players and some pros choose to play game improvement irons.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi guys,

I just wanted your views on the AP2's and whether they would suit players who have a handicap between 15-18? I have done a bit of research and spoken to a few people and have heard the following said more than once:

1. Purchase and play an iron that LOOKS and FEELS good to you however make sure you get fitted for the club.

2. If your ball striking is good and consistent then you will have no problems hitting the AP2 regardless of your handicap but any mishits will be punished by this club.

My handicap is down to 16 now (don't know how to change it in my profile!) and I am more serious than ever about the game with my ultimate goal to get down to single figures! My ball striking I would say is good but my real strength lies in my short game which I feel is the most important part! I do struggle most of the tee but I am certainly not the worst!

For my next set I would like to go AP1 or AP2 but for some reason the AP2 appeals way more to me! I have a fitting booked for Saturday and I can't wait to give both the AP1 and AP2 a go and deep down I really HOPE I can cope with the AP2 because if I can and the numbers show, its going to be a no brainer for me!

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm sympathetic: AP1s are good looking clubs, real good looking IMO, but AP2s are gorgeous!  But when you get out on the course, pretty is as pretty does, and my ball striking (which I don't think is so bad either :-) isn't so great that I am not better off playing the more forgiving AP1s than the AP2s like Jason Duffner and Jordan Spieth.

My strong suggestion would be to find a good Titleist fitter, preferably an Advanced Fitting Center rather than a big box store with a sales clerk that doubles as a fitter.  You can find the locations of fitters on the Titleist web site.  Talk it over with the fitter and let them guide you through the decision process.

For the record, I love my AP1s.  They look good to me and they play great!

(To edit your handicap, go to My Profile and click the Edit Community Profile button on the top right.)

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Hi guys, I just wanted your views on the AP2's and whether they would suit players who have a handicap between 15-18? I have done a bit of research and spoken to a few people and have heard the following said more than once: 1. Purchase and play an iron that LOOKS and FEELS good to you however make sure you get fitted for the club. 2. If your ball striking is good and consistent then you will have no problems hitting the AP2 regardless of your handicap but any mishits will be punished by this club. My handicap is down to 16 now (don't know how to change it in my profile!) and I am more serious than ever about the game with my ultimate goal to get down to single figures! My ball striking I would say is good but my real strength lies in my short game which I feel is the most important part! I do struggle most of the tee but I am certainly not the worst! For my next set I would like to go AP1 or AP2 but for some reason the AP2 appeals way more to me! I have a fitting booked for Saturday and I can't wait to give both the AP1 and AP2 a go and deep down I really HOPE I can cope with the AP2 because if I can and the numbers show, its going to be a no brainer for me! Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The irons sound suitable given your circumstances, but I would focus more on your driver if you are having trouble off the tee. As a similar handicap, I am using MP32 which are ancient technology, but they work well enough if I get off the tee okay. As Bill mentioned get fit, and the AP2 should be fine. I might seriously consider the RS1 or RS2 from TM, and that might be another option for you.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I would go AP1. If you are dead-set on AP2s, then I would suggest a split set of maybe AP1 3-6 and AP2 7-PW or AP1 3-5 and AP2 6-PW.

Of course, a competent fitter will be the best guide.

Enjoy the new clubs!

I shoot anywhere between a 78 and 95 depending on the day. Mostly 83-88. I am a good striker with a tendency for a few bad holes. I have had 4 sets of irons over the past 25 years of playing. My first set was a starter set. A pro suggested I buy a set of mizuno forged as teenager. My father talked me out of it "there are too difficult" got a set of bear irons (great set and underrated) same thing happened the next time I went to buy a set, wanted Hogan forged set I was hitting well with their apex4 shift. This time I talked myself out of it in favor of x-16 pros. A few years ago I bought a set of ap2 710 with kbs tour This is was a great decision. I love them. Sure there are days where I am not swinging well and a more forgiving club would have lowered my score, but on most days the play well and I like the soft feel and great control. I get more joy playing the ap2 than I did with any other club. That is why I would buy them again tomorrow

I shoot anywhere between a 78 and 95 depending on the day. Mostly 83-88. I am a good striker with a tendency for a few bad holes. I have had 4 sets of irons over the past 25 years of playing. My first set was a starter set. A pro suggested I buy a set of mizuno forged as teenager. My father talked me out of it "there are too difficult" got a set of bear irons (great set and underrated) same thing happened the next time I went to buy a set, wanted Hogan forged set I was hitting well with their apex4 shift. This time I talked myself out of it in favor of x-16 pros. A few years ago I bought a set of ap2 710 with kbs tour

This is was a great decision. I love them. Sure there are days where I am not swinging well and a more forgiving club would have lowered my score, but on most days the play well and I like the soft feel and great control. I get more joy playing the ap2 than I did with any other club. That is why I would buy them again tomorrow

Wow, you guys might be talking me into looking more seriously at the AP2. Plus, Jason Dufner uses them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 5 months later...
Just starting to play regular again after 15 year layoff. (Was an 11 at my lowest 25 years ago). Was playing with original ping eye irons and woods I got back in 84, until last week. Bought a set of AP2's and just love them. Fact is, all the clubs I demo'd felt good compared to 30 year old technology I was used to. For me, It was between the Titleist and a set of Mizunos. The AP2 was just a better fit. While I agree that you need to ignore the name on the club and go with the feel in you hands, the AP2 hit as straight and true as any club I have ever played. I think your consistency will improve with this set. Good luck!:-D

I would not advise AP2 heads to anyone over 8*9 hcp. I even feel they are more for 3-4 hcp max with big hits.

you can still play them and fell ok but scoring will be impacted.

• Upvote 1

I would not advise AP2 heads to anyone over 8*9 hcp. I even feel they are more for 3-4 hcp max with big hits. you can still play them and fell ok but scoring will be impacted.

I'm a basically just under a 10 handicap, I can hit the AP2 irons ok... (a friend of mine let me try his on the range, I'm a TourEdge guy though)... It's whether you are a consistent enough ball striker to handle the forged head... I went the other way... (It's not Titleist but it's the same idea) I played forged last year (Two different sets)... and I went to a slightly more forgiving irons...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

As a 5 handicap, I traded my AP2's for the AP1's last year and I have no regrets AT ALL!!!

Titleist 915D2 10.5°
Titleist 913h 17°
Titleist 913h 21°
Titleist AP1 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM4 54° and 58°
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter

For my next set I would like to go AP1 or AP2 but for some reason the AP2 appeals way more to me! I have a fitting booked for Saturday and I can't wait to give both the AP1 and AP2 a go and deep down I really HOPE I can cope with the AP2 because if I can and the numbers show, its going to be a no brainer for me!

Maybe check out doing a combo set. Like 4-7 in AP1's and 8 to PW in AP2's. Get a bit more game improvement in the longer irons is always helpful. They are harder to hit. Most people don't get enough height on their long iron shots to maximize their distance and get proper yardage gaps.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was looking at Mizuno MP 64 irons which I think are in the same class (players cavity) as the AP2. I ended up going with the MP H4 set because as someone else suggested, the long irons were more forgiving and that's where I needed it. I'm sure titleist has a similar offering, but if not you may want to try the MP H4 at your fitting. They still have that buttery forged feel but the extra forgiveness in the long irons is really helpful. If you're dead set on titleist and find that the long irons in the AP2 set are hard to hit, don't be afraid to mix and match a set. I was going to do just that until I saw that Mizuno had read my mind and made a set just like that.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

• 3 months later...

I absolutely love my AP1's.  From shooting in the 90's I am now rarely over the mid 80's now. I would even have a couple of rounds in the 70's if I could putt worth a damn. (Don't ask my how many putters I own..lol).  The thing about the AP2 is that they are for pure strikers ONLY...which does not include you if you play less than 3x a week, and may not include you if, in addition to playing 3x a week you are also putting in a couple of extra hours at the range.  The punishment on mishits is not worth the 'status' of having AP2's in the bag.  Besides that the AP1's look WAY sexier.  The only thing I would advise is to play Cleveland or Vokey wedges, beginning with the pitching wedge.  I like much more feel around the greens.  My setup is 4-9 iron.  Cleveland wedges:  46, 50, 54, 60.  It's an AWESOME iron combo.

I´m between Callaway Apex and Titleist Ap1... Both are fantastic, but will try and make a choice. Will tell you my impressions.

:nike:

What kind of shaft would you use on an AP2 set? (Shaft = elongated tube between clubhead and grip. It's half the golf club).

Get a side-by-side fitting for the AP1 and AP2. See which one works out best.

About two years ago, I had a super session when the Ping guy showed up on a slow day at Golf Galaxy. I did a side-by-side test with the Ping i25 vs. G25, using the CFS shafts in both R and S. Here's what I found: I could actually get the i25 off the ground, and it felt pretty good. But, the G25 launched the ball higher and 10 yards longer.

For AP1 vs. AP2, you'll face the GI vs. friendly Player's trade-off: On solid shots, the AP2 will reward you with tighter range dispersion and more birdie attempts. But, the AP1 will give your more forgiveness and drop you closer to the fringe on mishits. Overall, will AP1 or AP2 do the most for your swing?

Are you "going after it" this summer to really improve your game? Or do you hit a small bucket before you play once a week, and that's it?

And, words of wisdom from one of my favorite golf pros: Get clubs for the swing you have now, not the one you hope to have in the future.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just had to replace my irons. I have been playing for about 6 yrs and my hci is down to just below 14.  I went in thinking TM RSi irons(as my previous irons were TM) or possibly Mizuno JPX850 forged. I did not hit the RSi clubs as well as the Mizuno and the store also had me try AP1 and AP2 but I didnt hit either as well.  Then I tried a Callaway Apex and hit them way more consistently than anything else.  Distance was as good as the Miz but the shot grouping was way tighter and they felt like butter (so did the Miz) I left the store with the Apex irons.

Note: This thread is 2703 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!