IGNORED

Ted Bishop removed from office for calling Ian Poulter a lil girl

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

:-)

Sante'

...and total speculation on my part, but:

Bishop was out of line, but for him to actually be fired, I think that says that his 'bosses' were already unhappy with him.  Maybe only in parts, but if they were anything more than content, I think he would have kept his job -- or, at the very least, it would have taken more time for him to lose his job. I'm guessing this was just the incident that allowed them to axe him - and not some 'out-of-the-blue' case of (very) poor judgment.

(Or maybe it was just that his term was coming to an end soon anyway, and they thought it would be a way to grab some PR for the organization / PGA and sling all the blame at the individual / Bishop.)

Whatevs.

From what was said on TGC, you hit the nail on the head ... Ted was in the sights of the board.

I heard something to the effect that they were going to wipe him off the history books of the PGA ... that is harsh.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would bet Ted is not a very good match play player if he reacts to Poulter like this. If Poulter can get in his head, no wonder he was a Captain's pick, despite his record.

I don't keep track of it enough to have even known who the PGA President was until this thread.

I'm old school enough to not envision a President of anything above a junior high school club sitting around Tweeting insults whether they are politically correct or not.

I would fire him post haste and try to get an adult in the position.

I personally think this whole sexist thing is about to take itself out of play. On the surface, it seems polite and plausible, but it has hardcore effects over time. Reading an article like the one I paraphrase below gives the idea of why I think it will resolve itself after a while. "Deaths of white people outnumbered births for the very first time in US history, the Census Bureau revealed Thursday. The census predicts that significant drops in birth rates v death rates will be regular by 2025. The new 2012 annual census calculated births minus deaths as of July 2012 and saw a decrease of about 12,400 people out of 198 million non-Hispanic whites in the country. Several demographers have pointed out that no other racial group in the US experienced a similar drop. Such a natural decrease within the white population is the first of its kind and was not even observed in the US during wars or Depression, the Washington Post reported." I have begun to question the social logic I keep hearing because I clearly understand what mother nature intends to do with all of it.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I wonder if Mr. Bishop has children. I know my view of these type of comments has certainly been clarified since having daughters.

Respectfully,

• Administrator

Bishop was out of line, but for him to actually be fired, I think that says that his 'bosses' were already unhappy with him.

Bishop doesn't really have "bosses" - just PGA members, the CEO, and the Board of Directors.

It's almost a sort of honorary position, a PR type position. There's a Secretary, a Vice President, and a President. Typically you spend two years at each and are "elected" to move up every two years.

His term was up in less than a month.

I had previously emailed him when, despite the vote being something in the low 60s, he continued to fight the USGA "on behalf of all PGA pros and apprentices," on the anchoring ban. Nearly 35 or 40% of PGA pros and apprentices surveyed did NOT wish to fight the Rules change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"The PGA has also informed me that I will not become the Honorary President nor will I ever be recognized as a Past President in our Association’s history. These, along with the impeachment are drastic consequences for the offense I have committed, but I must live with them."

Quote from Ted Bishop following his impeachment from the presidency of the PGA.

Full article - http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/bishop-releases-statement-following-impeachment/

So essentially the PGA is not only firing him from the position but is removing him from any future association with them.

There must be more to it than this one incident.

Obviously I don't know the guy and I disagree with his stance on the anchored putter issue but there must be more to this if one little comment was enough to get you fired from your position when he would have retired in less than one month and to also have the history of your recognition as past president wipe out from the record books.

If there were no other issues then this is a massive case of political correctness gone overboard.

I really don't care about what happens to a rich dude who used his outside voice when he should not have.

But I am sick and tired of over reaction for the sake of political correctness.

Sorry, a silly comment to be sure, but still more political correctness run amuck...... People just need to toughen up and get over this desire to be offended by everything they hear.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I guess this goes back to his refusal to resign his position and make it easy for the BOD.   The BOD wasn't going to change their minds after he made his case so they'd make him pay for wasting their time.

I wonder if he'll accept the impeachment or fight it as he spent almost two years of his life serving as President and to have this erase it all from history has to be a tough pill to swallow.

Joe Paradiso

Sorry, a silly comment to be sure, but still more political correctness run amuck......

People just need to toughen up and get over this desire to be offended by everything they hear.

I agree David, but whether we like it or not, that is the world we live in today and Bishop knows that.

Leaders in government and business need to be smarter about how they use social media, "followers" aren't friends and most are just waiting for you to mess up so they can use it against you.

Joe Paradiso

I agree David, but whether we like it or not, that is the world we live in today and Bishop knows that. Leaders in government and business need to be smarter about how they use social media, "followers" aren't friends and most are just waiting for you to mess up so they can use it against you.

No argument.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I assume Serena and Venus should basically laugh it off as a moment undeniably hilarious rib splitting humour when a Russian coach calls them the "Williams brothers"?

I don't think the PGA's decision is political correctness gone mad though, but more likely to be the result of sound judgement made in their commercial interests. The PGA has a responsibility to the thousands of employees trying to promote the game and members whose livelihoods depend on golf developing as a leisure pursuit. They can't sustain a Presdient who undermines their work and jeopardises their incomes because he's trying engratiate himself to Nick Faldo.

Poulter's reaction was interesting though. The initial affront taken was that he wasn't entitled to an opinion because he "hadn't won a major or six". Clearly a stupid thing for Bishop to suggest that unless you were a Major winner you can't question anyone "Faldo's record stands by itself. Six majors and all-time RC points. Yours vs. His? Lil girl." I believe Bishop reiterated this on Facebook lamenting about a time when inferior athletes wouldn't bad mouth icons etc. I'm not sure such a time existed in anything other than Bishops imagination, but that's neither here nor there. Poulter questioned the wisdom of Tom Watson's decisions, and in his book talked about how the European team got a lift on the Saturday morning when they discovered that Mickelson and Bradley had been stood down. Poulter went onto say that the team (Europe) took this as a sure sign of infighting in the American camp (something that the media haven't investigated - albeit Poulter could be wrong, only that's how the Europeans read the situation on the morning). In essence, he's quesioned Watson, no different to Mickelson, (probably less so) and no different to dozens of similarly unqualified by Major victories members of the media and lay people (including posters on here of course)

It's only on reflection however that you sense Poulter recognised that perhaps there was blood in the water. His second comment was released as a statement rather than a Twitter riposte. In that statement he goes for the high moral ground by calling Bishops response;

"Is being called a 'lil girl' meant to be derogatory or a put down? That's pretty shocking and disappointing, especially coming from the leader of the PGA of America. No further comment.''

He's not completely denouncing Bishop. By starting off with the word "Is" he's asking a question and clearly inviting the world beyond, and the media to ask it, debate it, and then judge it, whilst also framing it within the confines of gender discrimination and attaching Bishops position "leader", the organisation he works for "PGA" and the nationality of the country to it "of America". In case there is any doubt though he's also letting his own view be known "shocking and dissapointing" but this is surely some attempt to seize the high moral ground. Something tells me he's not actually offended at being called a "lil girl" (he must have been called worse) and remember his initial retort focused on the fact that he wasn't considered worthy of holding an opinion because h'ed failed Bishops major test (something that I'm sure hurt Poulter more). Poulter's actually shown some political accumun here (or his PR team have)

Someone remarked on this thread very early on, and prophetically, that Poulter had put Bishop into checkmate which only a grovelling apology would save him from. They were right.

With social media or within an organization, my thinking has evolved on leadership and letting the personal curtain down.

As a leader, I think you must observe yourself carefully and make statements, whether in social media or within your organization, as that leader, and not necessarily revealing your personal views or letting down your guard to show too much of a personal side.

Certainly, you can reveal your warmth, empathy, direct your questions, and use your skills to move an organization forward in action, words and thought, but that does not mean you reveal everything, including opinions.

That's the danger of social media ... away from the office, it's readily available when one wants to vent; and that temptation grows stronger when one is tired, angry, etc., and the guard goes down.

Ted was the victim of his lack of observation/awareness.

I understand that he was wiped off the books as President of the PGA and he will not be shown as a past President, or that he existed within that organization other than as a member.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I understand that he was wiped off the books as President of the PGA and he will not be shown as a past President, or that he existed within that organization other than as a member.

I think that was a mistake, history will show a gap during the two year period which will bring more attention to the incident than leaving Bishop's name in there.  Seems the PGA BOD was so upset with Bishop's refusal to resign and forced them to take action they may have lost sight of how history will view this time in the PGA.  Bishop will appear as V.P and then a two year gap in President, seems like unless they remove him completely it will just leave things unsettled.

Nixon is still recognized as a past POTUS and kids today don't know / care what Watergate was.

Joe Paradiso

I assume Serena and Venus should basically laugh it off as a moment undeniably hilarious rib splitting humour when a Russian coach calls them the "Williams brothers"?

Yeah - or basically just ignore it.  That's my honest opinion.  When I was a little kid, my parents taught me that's the best way to deal with verbal assaults . .just ignore it, don't let them get a rise out of you, etc.  That's some solid advice.  Going nuts over every little comment is distracting at best.

In this incident, I thought Bishop's comment was wrong.  Poulters response was douchy - an obvious attempt to draw and focus the ire of the pc nanny state.  The BOD obviously had some other agenda to get rid of Bishop and now I have to hear this crap for a week on the golf channel.  Thanks everybody!

I think that was a mistake, history will show a gap during the two year period which will bring more attention to the incident than leaving Bishop's name in there.  Seems the PGA BOD was so upset with Bishop's refusal to resign and forced them to take action they may have lost sight of how history will view this time in the PGA.  Bishop will appear as V.P and then a two year gap in President, seems like unless they remove him completely it will just leave things unsettled. Nixon is still recognized as a past POTUS and kids today don't know / care what Watergate was.

I think the PGA is betting on the assumption that nobody is spending much time looking into the history of their presidential linage. Wiping the guy off the face of the earth seems like overkill, but I'd lean towards agreeing with their assumption that no one really cares.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think the PGA is betting on the assumption that nobody is spending much time looking into the history of their presidential linage. Wiping the guy off the face of the earth seems like overkill, but I'd lean towards agreeing with their assumption that no one really cares.

You're right, no one cares unless someone decides to do a retrospective or documentary on it.  The average non-golfer probably doesn't even know what the PGA is.

If their justification for erasing him from history is no one cares then maybe they should reconsider if their organization really serves a purpose.   The USGA could take on the role in the US as the R&A; does in Europe and we could just get rid of the PGA.

Joe Paradiso

Wiping the guy off the face of the earth seems like overkill, but I'd lean towards agreeing with their assumption that no one really cares.

Agree.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!