IGNORED

Ted Bishop removed from office for calling Ian Poulter a lil girl

Hammer 4
Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is one bishop who's been well and truly defrocked. You've got to assume that during the 'negotiations' things got particularly heated. I'm left wondering if Bishop didn't lash out and reveal that this is just the tip of an iceberg, and that perhaps he'd held, and concealed all sorts of views for years that suddenly came to the surface. It's pretty drastic stuff for an organisation to say we want a complete denial of ever having had any association with you. I do wonder also if he's about to go public with certain views and the PGA want to ensure that they've pre-empted that by drawing a line now

Actually...... somethings gone on hasn't it? He's called Poulter a girl, and although his position becomes untennable to have him ex-communicated like this does make you rather think there's a hell of a lot more surfaced, quite possibly in the last 36 hours

You rather suspect that Poulter's having a quiet laugh at it all though, and even Luke Donald (about the most Americanised of all the European players) has tweeted something to the effect that perhaps the players should set up a task force to find Bishop a new PR company as he seems to keep making mistakes

• Administrator
The USGA could take on the role in the US as the R&A; does in Europe and we could just get rid of the PGA.

No they couldn't. Or, better put, it wouldn't make sense at all for that to happen. It's not inline with the USGA's stated mission at all, and would require a massive shift in their fundamentals and foundation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The real problem is not that they fired him, the real problem is that he became president in the first place.  IMO he has been terrible for golf and terrible for the PGA.  I do not know the guy personally but every time I have read anything about him he comes off like an attention seeking  blowhard.  He injected the PGA into the anchored putting issue, He ignored the past way the PGA chose a captain and picked a disastrous one, he injected himself into the Watson/Mickelson dispute, and he injected himself into the Faldo/Poulter thing.

Bishop doesn't really have "bosses" - just PGA members, the CEO, and the Board of Directors.

It's almost a sort of honorary position, a PR type position. There's a Secretary, a Vice President, and a President. Typically you spend two years at each and are "elected" to move up every two years.

His term was up in less than a month.

I had previously emailed him when, despite the vote being something in the low 60s, he continued to fight the USGA "on behalf of all PGA pros and apprentices," on the anchoring ban. Nearly 35 or 40% of PGA pros and apprentices surveyed did NOT wish to fight the Rules change.

For me this was strike one for him  His decision to make the anchored putting style a controversy with the USGA with such tortured reasoning was a black eye, IMO on the PGA.  They basically came across, IMO, like the folks who whine about stroke and distance for OB.

Sorry, a silly comment to be sure, but still more political correctness run amuck......

People just need to toughen up and get over this desire to be offended by everything they hear.

That is true and it ends up looking that way, but in this case I think it is a pretext more than anything.  The guy was a disaster for the PGA.  The anchored putter controversy he played such a large part in, the Watson choice, the subsequent slap at Mickelson, and now this.  This guy has put himself in the news more than any PGA president in memory.

Nixon is still recognized as a past POTUS and kids today don't know / care what Watergate was.

And when we do not remember the past we do not learn from it.  It is not a good thing that kids do not know what Watergate was, IMO.

In this incident, I thought Bishop's comment was wrong.  Poulters response was douchy - an obvious attempt to draw and focus the ire of the pc nanny state.  The BOD obviously had some other agenda to get rid of Bishop and now I have to hear this crap for a week on the golf channel.  Thanks everybody!

Alternatively, you could get a TV with an off switch and NOT watch the golf channel. ;-)

You're right, no one cares unless someone decides to do a retrospective or documentary on it.  The average non-golfer probably doesn't even know what the PGA is.

In 10 years it will be the subject of one of those 30 on 30 documentaries ESPN does.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

So does this mean Watson was never Captain of the RC?

:-D

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

So much hatred for a man who actually had the balls to speak his mind.

Bishop being removed is one of the biggest travesties in golf history and anyone that does not agree is nothing more than a lil girl!!!

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I don't think it's "political correctness gone mad' to hold some to appropriate standards. However the degree of sexism in the language, it was still sexist language, and that is not okay for anyone, let alone the president of the freaking PGA.

Sexism isn't okay, ever. I would be horrified if any of the female members of my friends and family heard that crap. My nieces don't need to grow up thinking that being a 'lil girl' is slang for being weak. It's 100% unacceptable.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Yo Momma..........

Hey now! :pound::dance:

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Sorry...I couldn't resist...

This peaked my curiosity a little bit about the origin of this phrase. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternal_insult

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't think it's "political correctness gone mad' to hold some to appropriate standards. However the degree of sexism in the language, it was still sexist language, and that is not okay for anyone, let alone the president of the freaking PGA. Sexism isn't okay, ever. I would be horrified if any of the female members of my friends and family heard that crap. My nieces don't need to grow up thinking that being a 'lil girl' is slang for being weak. It's 100% unacceptable.

This proves my point of political correctness gone mad! I do agree that Bishop should not have used such a public forum but as I said there must be more than this one incident to cause such a massive reaction from the PGA.

What are your thoughts on Ted Bishop being fired?

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

This peaked my curiosity a little bit about the origin of this phrase. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternal_insult

piqued :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!