IGNORED

Why Flaring Your Feet at Address Makes Golf Easier

mvmac

• Administrator

It looks like the weight is fairly evenly distributed at the top of the backswing in the picture on the right. Am I correct? Honestly, this feels pretty comfortable to me because I feel as though I can transfer my weight to the front foot much easier.

Yeah, weight is generally within about 5-10% of 50/50 at the top. And FWIW the movements to shift 5% of your weight are VERY small, so basically, yeah, 50/50.

Honestly, one of the reasons I have kept my feet square is because I feel like I can transfer my weight to the back foot at the top of my back swing. But then I can "get stuck" on the back foot and make too many compensations on the down swing.

You'll have trouble going forward if it's "perpendicular" to the way your knee is bent. With your feet flared, you'll be able to slide forward better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, weight is generally within about 5-10% of 50/50 at the top. And FWIW the movements to shift 5% of your weight are VERY small, so basically, yeah, 50/50. You'll have trouble going forward if it's "perpendicular" to the way your knee is bent. With your feet flared, you'll be able to slide forward better.

So I just read (again) the Weight Forward thread which discusses the pressure plates. Very interesting and makes much more sense now. I'm definitely excited to start working on this new set up.

So I just read (again) the Weight Forward thread which discusses the pressure plates. Very interesting and makes much more sense now.

I'm definitely excited to start working on this new set up.

I'll think you'll find once you flare your feet on instinct, your hip turn will be Much easier, as will your shoulder turn. Made a pretty good difference in mine, especially with driver.. :-D

I'll think you'll find once you flare your feet on instinct, your hip turn will be Much easier, as will your shoulder turn. Made a pretty good difference in mine, especially with driver..:-D

Thanks! Good to know. When my swing is "off" it's usually my hip turn. It feels out of sequence and I usually start getting a little crazy with my knees if that makes any sense. I'm REALLY excited to work on this.

I've started turning my lead foot open to promote hip clearance and the forward knee motion that Erik has alluded to.  I've always been under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that your back foot should remain perpendicular to the target to increase the 'magic' hip to shoulder turn ratio-ie an open back foot allows too much hip rotation.  Isn't a square back foot also an alignment tool?  Could be mistaken, but I don't really see many good pros or amateurs opening the back foot, although most do flare the front (notwithstanding Rocco)?   Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I've started turning my lead foot open to promote hip clearance and the forward knee motion that Erik has alluded to.  I've always been under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that your back foot should remain perpendicular to the target to increase the 'magic' hip to shoulder turn ratio-ie an open back foot allows too much hip rotation.

Most amateurs don't rotate enough, so flaring the trail foot only helps. It's very rare for a golfer to rotate their hips too much and if that's the case it's probably more of a hip inclination issue than a "too much rotation" problem.

Isn't a square back foot also an alignment tool?

I don't see why it has to be, the players I know that flare both feet don't have an issue with alignment.

Could be mistaken, but I don't really see many good pros or amateurs opening the back foot, although most do flare the front (notwithstanding Rocco)?

Some pros do, most don't, I addressed that in my first post. I would say they have good pivots in spite of not having the trail foot turned out ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Took a while but this is now my regular setup position.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yet another great bit of instruction!! FWIW, my current swing thoughts usually go along the lines of "Grip it like Mike's video...... Flare your feet like Mike's video........... Turn the left shoulder down and back like Mike said..............." :-D

Chris.:roll:

Yet another great bit of instruction!! FWIW, my current swing thoughts usually go along the lines of "Grip it like Mike's video...... Flare your feet like Mike's video........... Turn the left shoulder down and back like Mike said..............."

Forget "Be the ball."

"Be Mike!" :-)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Yet another great bit of instruction!! FWIW, my current swing thoughts usually go along the lines of "Grip it like Mike's video...... Flare your feet like Mike's video........... Turn the left shoulder down and back like Mike said..............."

Forget "Be the ball."

"Be Mike!"

You guys are pretty smart :beer:

Mike McLoughlin

Well I caught a break in the weather here in the Inland Northwest and hit the range to try this out. I'm a stubborn moron. I wish I would have done this a while ago. It actually keeps my lower body "quieter" and keeps my upper body centered. It was the first swings I have made in about 3 weeks so I definitely had to shake the rust off but it felt SO good. I'm sold.

I know everyone has a different feeling to help them with different aspects of their swing. Tonight while looking at the pictures Mike posted I noticed something.

His left knee goes out and a little in on the back swing and looks like it rotates toward the front on the down swing. I tried that to initiate

my down swing and help get my weight going to the front foot(something I have a lot of problems with). It feels like it works. Any comments on this?

I will try it as soon as I can get to the range.

Doug

Doug

Well, I went to the range tonight, and was thinking about this thread. My first lesson with Mike, he had me flare my feet, which helped due to the limited range of motion in my hips, and back, that was last April, I think..been flaring my feet ever since. So, tonight, Itried to hit a few irons with out flaring my feet, and although I now have more flexibility, I didn't seem to be able to turn my hips as far.

I hit 5 shots with my PW, 5 shots with my 8i, and 5 shots with my 6i, all with my feet set square. I can't say for sure how much distance I lost, but I could see that the balls all fell short of where I normally hit them with the above irons. For those that don't know, I have a twisted, and curved spine, also have arthritis in my lower back, so flaring my feet out to about 30 degrees, helps me a bunch.

Funny, as I watch guys hitting balls, some appear to be pretty good, None of them flare their feet, which kind of puzzles me, I did mangae to get my Son to flare his feet, and his hip rotation improved a lot. It does take awhile to get use to flaring your feet, but oh so well worth it, when it becomes automatic..Also helps if you have a good stretching program.. ;-)

I know everyone has a different feeling to help them with different aspects of their swing. Tonight while looking at the pictures Mike posted I noticed something.

His left knee goes out and a little in on the back swing and looks like it rotates toward the front on the down swing. I tried that to initiate

my down swing and help get my weight going to the front foot(something I have a lot of problems with). It feels like it works. Any comments on this?

I will try it as soon as I can get to the range.

Doug

Yes on the back swing as my knee gains flex it also rotates inward.

Then on the downswing it transfers forward, knee should be forward of the left ankle. This will allow me to "use the ground" as I extend the left knee and hips after A6 (shaft parallel to the ground on the downswing) and into the followthrough. The lead foot being turned out helps the lead knee flex forward longer than if it was square at address. Important piece for achieving Key #2 and #3.

Mike McLoughlin

Hogan flaring out his right foot. I think he only did this with the longer clubs.

Couple things

• Posting this because it's cool to see.
  • I do not want this post to lead to a discussion of Hogan's swing, what he "wrote", what he felt, what his secret was. Please keep it on topic.
  • Yes his right knee is kicked in at address but he does rotate the knee outward during the backswing which keeps his hips turning (as well as the motion of the left knee).

Mike McLoughlin

Wow, BHogan looks really wide at address.  Feet far apart.  Could be due to ...?  Obviously he always wants more (precise, ample) distance, but he was kind of short in height   I like his arm extension, he's getting all he can for swing arc.  Scratching my head... what can i learn from this photo?  Thanks Mike.  More to think about, which is sometimes good.  But i know my mind is full of swing thoughts when addressing the ball, so whether more or fewer thoughts are better, i can't answer.