IGNORED

Wow, Tiger got Dissed by Dan Jenkins?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just stopped by to read the comments on the Golf Digest page following this "article."

I would say that roughly 4 of 5 are negative toward Dan Jenkins.

These significantly weaken the argument that it was a bad or stupid thing for Tiger to do and that it would only hurt him.

Funny thing is- its kind of history now don't you think?, old news, stick a fork in it, pretty much done, "move along, nothing to see here folks". ( except for maybe the bozos on the golf channel)

I think you would have to agree though, it was kept alive for several more days than it would have been ,  based on tigers public response.

Reminds me when Tiger reported his displeasure with Hank Haney's book The big Miss- My years coaching tiger woods.....

2 things occurred more people probably bought the book and more people realized after reading about it.  It was OK, nothing really personal that anyone would be upset about. Certainly was not a tell all book- No big deal.

a few weeks later.....gone!

I thought I was reading a `slice from the National Enquirer but then I looked again and it was Golf Digest-For that reason I had to yell fore…….

There are many opinions about Mr. Woods and many more spoiled athletics in all sports that in my opinion damage the image of the game. There are far worst boys out there than this golfing prodigy who has been at a loss since the passage of his mentor.

Seriously? The entire point of the fake interview was that tiger woods is cold, unfriendly, inaccessible, and generally thin-skinnned and surrounded by a disingenuous PR machine. Tiger's response confirmed all of the above.

Lastly, how many of you read Jenkins' article before Tiger "responded" to it? Probably not many, because it was not funny and an overall poor attempt at satire. The irrelevance of the entire piece prior to Tiger's response merely drives home all of its points.

And this is why he should have remained silent. If he chose to respond to this fake interview, which was labeled "fake" from the begining, will he be responding to all critisicm he disagrees with?

What happens when Johnny Miller calls his swing lousy?

Did he respond when SNL spoofed his car accident and affairs?

Did he respond when the onion ran headlines?

Than why respond now?

:facepalm: You said "And you most probably would never have heard about it if Tiger hadn't got his panties in a wad about it."

The only "you" in that sentence is someone participating right here in this discussion. A golfer. It's incorrect - a stretch at best - to assume that golfers avid enough to be on a golf forum - would have "most probably never have heard about it."

Seriously, dude, enough with the baseless opinions stated as fact. It's your MO, and the act has worn thin. You don't just get to make stuff up.

You're also assuming that those who read the article in their "mainstream media homepage" are all going to side against Tiger. I showed my wife and she sympathized with Tiger. Many sympathized with the nude celebs too. Just because more people know about this does not mean that you can assume everyone's going to side with Jenkins. Jenkins is now thought to be a giant ass by more people today than he was two days ago. Two days ago it was just golf fans who thought he was an ass. Today it's likely more…

I and my wife sympathize with neither. The celebs knew better than to have personal information on their mobile devices or computers. While it is personal they SHOULD be aware that people will hack it.
Tiger is a billionaire, golfer who gets cranky when someone clicks a camera on the course. He needs to learn to adapt and handle these things.

Last I checked Derek Jeter never complained about noise while swining, never complained about being "boo-ed", never complained or responded when Howard Stern, Entertainment Tonight or NY Post discussed his "girlfriends"

I thought I was reading a `slice from the National Enquirer but then I looked again and it was Golf Digest-For that reason I had to yell fore…….

There are many opinions about Mr. Woods and many more spoiled athletics in all sports that in my opinion damage the image of the game. There are far worst boys out there than this golfing prodigy who has been at a loss since the passage of his mentor.

Didnt Dustin Johnson just get suspended for Drugs? And when the news broke there were stories of cheating spouses and fidelity.

But What did Johnson do?

He went away.

Although the difference is Johnson is not trying to portray the brand that Tiger is.

But then again Tiger got offended at the discussions of steriods and cheating, but he needs to realize that when you work in the public eye, there is NO privacy.

If he does not like it, maybe he should try not being as successful and/or famous.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/victorious-tiger-woods-i-hit-the-ball-well-my-life,32437/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tiger-woods-announces-return-to-sex,2915/

http://www.theonion.com/video/tiger-woods-fails-to-qualify-for-sex-with-dive-bar,21164/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tiger-woods-developing-swing-that-doesnt-send-pain,36634/

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Years from now, no one will remember this article or controversy and most like not Jenkins either.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Than why respond now?

Perhaps he felt enough was enough.

But… really… you'd have to ask him.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Perhaps he felt enough was enough.

But… really… you'd have to ask him.

We both know that is just not going to happen.
As we both know this will not be last piece ever to skewer or critisize Tiger.

See, I have always admired Tiger's talent and ability. I loved watching him play and watching his swing (until he began the endless tinkering).

When Tiger is "On", there is no one better to watch on a golf course (2nd being lefty).
But what I don't admire is what appears (at least to me) as a sense of entitlement. His barking at the crowd to quiet down, the barking at photographers criticizing anyone who would have a negative opinion. His attitude towards the press, who does he think he is Bill Belechick?

He is not the 1st, last or only professional athlete to be under the microscope! And if David Ortiz can hit a home-run with 50,000 fans booing him, surely Tiger can hit a ball with the sound of a clicking camera.

But the difference is Ortiz doesn't send out a press release blasting an author for writing a piece saying Ortiz choked in front of 50K!  even if it mockery and fiction (see SNL for Ortiz mockery)

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

• Administrator

But what I don't admire is what appears (at least to me) as a sense of entitlement. His barking at the crowd to quiet down, the barking at photographers criticizing anyone who would have a negative opinion. His attitude towards the press, who does he think he is Bill Belechick?

Hyperbole much?

:P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We both know that is just not going to happen. As we both know this will not be last piece ever to skewer or critisize Tiger. See, I have always admired Tiger's talent and ability. I loved watching him play and watching his swing (until he began the endless tinkering). When Tiger is "On", there is no one better to watch on a golf course (2nd being lefty). But what I don't admire is what appears (at least to me) as a sense of entitlement. His barking at the crowd to quiet down, the barking at photographers criticizing anyone who would have a negative opinion. His attitude towards the press, who does he think he is Bill Belechick?  He is not the 1st, last or only professional athlete to be under the microscope! And if David Ortiz can hit a home-run with 50,000 fans booing him, surely Tiger can hit a ball with the sound of a clicking camera. But the difference is Ortiz doesn't send out a press release blasting an author for writing a piece saying Ortiz choked in front of 50K!  even if it mockery and fiction (see SNL for Ortiz mockery)

A bit off-topic but I hate the argument between other sports playing with noise but golfers with rabbit ears over a camera click. I played baseball and have no problem with crowd noise, players have been used to this since little league, it's part of the game. I also play golf but do get thrown off by a break in the silence during my backswing, or even before I start the swing. Can't tell you how many times I wish I'd have had the smarts to step away before my shot because an odd noise occurred. Invariably my thoughts go to that noise, forgetting swing thoughts and I end up screwing up the shot. I could play golf in a loud environment as could everyone else if that were the norm. But when that regular silence is interrupted, it is jarring and frustrating. Could Tiger improve his approach when this happens? Sure, as could I cuz I usually drop a rather loud f-bomb, mad at myself for not backing away. But the argument itself is a poor one.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

He's basically retired? He's still attending majors, writing about them, and still has a regular column in Golf Digest, does he not?

Did you see the responses to his tweet? Very few were positive toward Dan Jenkins.

He has his legacy to lose. His reputation, his place in journalism, etc.

Of course not… but you knew the answer to that already. That's why it's comical to you and others.

In my book the only legacy the guy had was being an accessory to causing damage to millions of golf fans, who he helped brain wash into thinking that the totality of a golfer's career could be wrapped up into one single number, which number was determined in a manner that was completely unfair to every other golfer who went before.

I wonder if Tiger realizes that if he had played his cards right with Dan the issue now would be that 34 > 20, since the only fair way to compare golfers of different eras is to look at the total of their wins in majors, WGCs, and Players and he would be the consensus GOAT.

In this case we don't even have to guess at motivation. Jenkins slipped it right in.  :

When Tiger Woods returned to golf from his back surgery, the national media saw it as the greatest news flash since D-Day. This energized me so much I immediately tracked down Tiger and asked if we could do the interview we should have done years ago.

There are a group of them. Jenkins, John Feinstein, and Howard Sounes.  They feel like Tiger has an obligation to give them interviews and if he does not go along they trash him.

They say he expects the media to kow-tow to him, while these guys in the media are expecting Tiger to kow-tow to them.  When a sportswriter starts talking about taking vengeance on the players he writes about something is seriously wrong.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

We both know that is just not going to happen. As we both know this will not be last piece ever to skewer or critisize Tiger. See, I have always admired Tiger's talent and ability. I loved watching him play and watching his swing (until he began the endless tinkering). When Tiger is "On", there is no one better to watch on a golf course (2nd being lefty). But what I don't admire is what appears (at least to me) as a sense of entitlement. His barking at the crowd to quiet down, the barking at photographers criticizing anyone who would have a negative opinion. His attitude towards the press, who does he think he is Bill Belechick?  He is not the 1st, last or only professional athlete to be under the microscope! And if David Ortiz can hit a home-run with 50,000 fans booing him, surely Tiger can hit a ball with the sound of a clicking camera. But the difference is Ortiz doesn't send out a press release blasting an author for writing a piece saying Ortiz choked in front of 50K!  even if it mockery and fiction (see SNL for Ortiz mockery)

Comparing sports that have nothing to do with each other is just stupid. When your playing a reactionary sport noise doesn't matter as much since you don't have time to let it bother you. I played baseball and noise didn't bother me at all I also used to shoot clays competitively and someone talking when I was going to call for the target pissed me off. It's apples to oranges.

Off topic but there are many pros that react in a similar fashion to cameras clicking and some are even worse. The difference is they don't get as much TV coverage and Tiger has more people/cameras following him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger's handlers might be concerned that the print media, with hardly anything else to focus on, would spend a lot of time peppering him with questions about why he had to "pop off again" on some bit of obscure criticism, this time in reference to Jenkins satirical bit in Golf Digest. If one of therm were really enterprising they'd come up with a diversion, like, say, having Tiger tweet out an announcement of a new relationship with a semi obscure golf instructor from Texas.

Oh wait!

A bit off-topic but I hate the argument between other sports playing with noise but golfers with rabbit ears over a camera click. I played baseball and have no problem with crowd noise, players have been used to this since little league, it's part of the game. I also play golf but do get thrown off by a break in the silence during my backswing, or even before I start the swing. Can't tell you how many times I wish I'd have had the smarts to step away before my shot because an odd noise occurred. Invariably my thoughts go to that noise, forgetting swing thoughts and I end up screwing up the shot.

I could play golf in a loud environment as could everyone else if that were the norm. But when that regular silence is interrupted, it is jarring and frustrating.

Could Tiger improve his approach when this happens? Sure, as could I cuz I usually drop a rather loud f-bomb, mad at myself for not backing away.

But the argument itself is a poor one.

To follow your lead off topic. I could play with fog horns blowing in the background. As previously stated I play public courses and Muni's. One Muni has a road running through the course (park) and cars tend to honk or yell.

Secondly I have 2 people in my typical 4some, who are close to deaf and usually too drunk or stoned to keep quiet and usually talk in my backswing. But I learned to play this way.

Lastly, I played drums in bands for close to 20 years.

You want to talk about a challenge, you have to have 4 limbs doing somthing different, while listening for changes in music and tempo.

Adding this all together, I find that noise cancels out swing thoughts or more importantly, bad swing thoughts and allows muscle memory to take over as if I am on auto pilot.

Bringing this back to Tiger and Golf itself, it is this noise factor that makes Tiger and Golfers look like they are entitled to Silence.

What do they do when a hawk, squawks in his back swing (yes I play a course where there are hawks, and turkey vultures).

What about bird chirping?

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

To follow your lead off topic. I could play with fog horns blowing in the background. As previously stated I play public courses and Muni's. One Muni has a road running through the course (park) and cars tend to honk or yell. Secondly I have 2 people in my typical 4some, who are close to deaf and usually too drunk or stoned to keep quiet and usually talk in my backswing. But I learned to play this way. Lastly, I played drums in bands for close to 20 years. You want to talk about a challenge, you have to have 4 limbs doing somthing different, while listening for changes in music and tempo. Adding this all together, I find that noise cancels out swing thoughts or more importantly, bad swing thoughts and allows muscle memory to take over as if I am on auto pilot. Bringing this back to Tiger and Golf itself, it is this noise factor that makes Tiger and Golfers look like they are entitled to Silence. What do they do when a hawk, squawks in his back swing (yes I play a course where there are hawks, and turkey vultures). What about bird chirping?

Are you ever standing over a shot that could be worth 5 million dollars (fed ex cup championship) or reading a putt that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? You can't compare your golf to someone golfing for a living. I doubt surgeons have drunk people yelling when their doing surgery but I know I can breast out a duck or pheasant with a few drinks in me and having the radio on and people talking.

To follow your lead off topic. I could play with fog horns blowing in the background. As previously stated I play public courses and Muni's. One Muni has a road running through the course (park) and cars tend to honk or yell. Secondly I have 2 people in my typical 4some, who are close to deaf and usually too drunk or stoned to keep quiet and usually talk in my backswing. But I learned to play this way. Lastly, I played drums in bands for close to 20 years. You want to talk about a challenge, you have to have 4 limbs doing somthing different, while listening for changes in music and tempo. Adding this all together, I find that noise cancels out swing thoughts or more importantly, bad swing thoughts and allows muscle memory to take over as if I am on auto pilot. Bringing this back to Tiger and Golf itself, it is this noise factor that makes Tiger and Golfers look like they are entitled to Silence. What do they do when a hawk, squawks in his back swing (yes I play a course where there are hawks, and turkey vultures). What about bird chirping?

To my 2nd paragraph: if it were the norm, anyone could play with noise. It is not for most of us but happy for you that you've overcome it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Are you ever standing over a shot that could be worth 5 million dollars (fed ex cup championship) or reading a putt that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? You can't compare your golf to someone golfing for a living. I doubt surgeons have drunk people yelling when their doing surgery but I know I can breast out a duck or pheasant with a few drinks in me and having the radio on and people talking.

but yet you compared a surgeon to a golfer?????

Since you opened the door

I will point out that some surgeons play music in their operating room. Many have heart monitors beeping, and pumps pumping, compressors making noises. Thereby a surgeon does not have complete silence like soo many of the golfers we watch.

And yet Surgeons can deal with life and death, not playing for money they dont need.

And further, if something goes wrong and the patient flat lines, there is alot more commotion.

And if the Golfer is standing over a putt worth 5million, then it is already in their head. They or anyone can not think of what the putt is, just like a surgeon does not think of what it means to slice a vein, you just do it, because you know you can.

A musician can not think " I have 1 measure to the bridge" they have know it. You think John Bonham counted 6/8 during the Ocean, or he just played what he knew?

There is difference between thinking about what you are doing and knowing what you are doing (without thinking).

To bring this back to Tiger, think of how much better he would be if none of those noises bothered him? Now think of what could have been accomplished if he did not change his swing 3 times, because ultimately that probably put more thoughts in his head.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I played baseball and have no problem with crowd noise,

At last - definitive proof that Tiger needs to chill and let drunks yell out when he is at the top of his swing.

A perfect and sobering comparison.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

To follow your lead off topic. I could play with fog horns blowing in the background. As previously stated I play public courses and Muni's. One Muni has a road running through the course (park) and cars tend to honk or yell.

Secondly I have 2 people in my typical 4some, who are close to deaf and usually too drunk or stoned to keep quiet and usually talk in my backswing. But I learned to play this way.

Lastly, I played drums in bands for close to 20 years.

You want to talk about a challenge, you have to have 4 limbs doing somthing different, while listening for changes in music and tempo.

Adding this all together, I find that noise cancels out swing thoughts or more importantly, bad swing thoughts and allows muscle memory to take over as if I am on auto pilot.

Bringing this back to Tiger and Golf itself, it is this noise factor that makes Tiger and Golfers look like they are entitled to Silence.

What do they do when a hawk, squawks in his back swing (yes I play a course where there are hawks, and turkey vultures).

What about bird chirping?

but yet you compared a surgeon to a golfer?????

Since you opened the door

I will point out that some surgeons play music in their operating room. Many have heart monitors beeping, and pumps pumping, compressors making noises. Thereby a surgeon does not have complete silence like soo many of the golfers we watch.

And yet Surgeons can deal with life and death, not playing for money they dont need.

And further, if something goes wrong and the patient flat lines, there is alot more commotion.

And if the Golfer is standing over a putt worth 5million, then it is already in their head. They or anyone can not think of what the putt is, just like a surgeon does not think of what it means to slice a vein, you just do it, because you know you can.

A musician can not think " I have 1 measure to the bridge" they have know it. You think John Bonham counted 6/8 during the Ocean, or he just played what he knew?

There is difference between thinking about what you are doing and knowing what you are doing (without thinking).

To bring this back to Tiger, think of how much better he would be if none of those noises bothered him? Now think of what could have been accomplished if he did not change his swing 3 times, because ultimately that probably put more thoughts in his head.

Ambient sounds from nature can not be controlled. Sounds from a crowd can be. There are other sports which have required spectators to be silent, one is bowling. People have been pointed out and/or asked to leave bowling tournaments for making noises/moving/taking pictures during a bowler's approach/release. I bowled and was able to ignore a majority of outside noises and distractions. However, I was not bowling for any major stakes or under real pressure. I would like to point out that listening to music and/or having sounds that are constant and expected is completely different from unexpected and/or loud noises during critical phases of a swing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!