IGNORED

Smoking Weed on the Golf Course

Patch
Note: This thread is 3394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love the smell of pot. My neighbors smoke and sometimes the breeze will carry the smell of it down to my porch. Anyways, these guys are idiots for smoking in front of the kid. If the story is true and the guys went to jail, oh well. Nobody died.
  • Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love the smell of pot. My neighbors smoke and sometimes the breeze will carry the smell of it down to my porch.

You would've loved New Year's Eve in Denver on 16th street then. I was there last night and I know I'm going to have to wash my clothes at least twice before the smell comes out.

You would've loved New Year's Eve in Denver on 16th street then. I was there last night and I know I'm going to have to wash my clothes at least twice before the smell comes out.

Funny thing is, I've never smoked, and never gotten a contact high despite the numerous heavy metal concerts I go to in small clubs.

Colin P.

Get real.... with the potency of today's marijuana, it only takes a couple tokes to get higher than an entire joint would get you back in my smoking days.  There is zero reason to smoke pot except to get high, and if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.  Even for pain relief, you are still getting high, and it's actually been proven that for pain, it's more effective to refine the effective ingredients out of the plant and administer them without the smoke or the high.

Please qualify this. The potency of marijuana has been the same since its inception. Most plants produce 17-22% thc. Those numbers are species based.And its ok to get high on oxy before you drive into work cause your doctor says so. Im happy for you if you are not afflicted with any health issues. BUT for those that are and are given a quality of life because of this naturally growing  weed then that should be available to them. Should not have come out around a minor or people offended by it. Or any thing else for that matter. I play with a cigarette smoker and he leaves butts every where. He is a member and they dont bother him about it but its gross

Yesterday during a round with my grand daughter, and two other, new to us, young gentlemen (25-ish?) something came up after the 4th hole. The two young guys lit up a joint. When I saw (smelled) what was going on I asked them not to do this illegal deed because my younger grand daughter was with us. If they would not, we would drop out of the group, and either play ahead, or behind them.

The fact is, if my grand daughter had not been there, I could have cared less. I would not have shared in their deed, but what they were doing is not a big deal to me personally. I actually think eventually pot will be treated like alcohol as far as American laws are concerned.

Long story short one of the guys gave me "what you a cop or something" and added that smoking pot was legal where they came from, and that I should "mind my own f-ing business" . To avoid any further problems, my grand daughter, and I  left to play by ourselves.

As it turned out the four of us wound up in the parking lot, close to each other at the end of our rounds. My son in law, and his brother who are both policemen showed up to pick up our little girl. Out of the blue my grand daughter tells her dad "those guys were smoking pot and were mean to grand pa". Well, that set off another chain events, and because of a poor attitude on their part, these guys would be spending the night in the local lock up.

Ha!  I don't care who you are... that's funny right there.

:cobra:  BiO Cell Driver

Magique 17* Hybrid

:adams:Idea Tech A4 22* Hybrid

:callaway:X2 Hot Irons 5-L

Knight 64*/10* L2 Wedge (K-Mart Special... 25¢ at Goodwill lol) Putter

:tmade:Ghost Belly Putter

I read through the thread.... eeesh. It's all very typical. The guys smoking marijuana with complete strangers is very odd in itself, especially if there is a little girl in the group. and their response is curious too. Seems like another one of those dreamed up/fabricated stories I always read here... I play with members and players who smoke marijuana occasionally when I'm out. No one cares. I don't do it, but I'm certainly not going to tell someone not to drink a beer, smoke a cigar or joint. It's their life. If I happened to be playing with my little boy, I'd probably just tell the guys I'll catch up with them later, we're breaking off for father/son time and never even mention their vices. Problem solved...

. . . If I happened to be playing with my little boy, I'd probably just tell the guys I'll catch up with them later, we're breaking off for father/son time and never even mention their vices. Problem solved...

This probably would have been my "out" in this situation. Everyone who's smoked, asked me first. When I was with my son, one group volunteered to separate from us.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This probably would have been my "out" in this situation. Everyone who's smoked, asked me first. When I was with my son, one group volunteered to separate from us.

That's why the OP's story is so weird. Potheads are generally not confrontational. You'll see angry drunks, but not usually fist fighting potheads. Doesn't pass the smell test, as they say.

Colin P.

That's why the OP's story is so weird. Potheads are generally not confrontational. You'll see angry drunks, but not usually fist fighting potheads. Doesn't pass the smell test, as they say.

you can't generalize the stereotype to just two samples

even mild mannered while doped up, there a TON of self righteously obnoxious people when this political topic is broached.  I've seen and read some serious anger and hate over not being allowed to legally feed their addiction.  Tell a child they can't do something, they have a tantrum, that simple.

(what it's worth, I've rarely seen someone that has a medical justification get bent like that  - it's the recreational types that are trying to exploit the medical argument that seem to be angry and obnoxious.  And sometimes the relatives of those that have a legit medical need also seem to get spun up...

weird isn't it?  those have the best right to be outraged are usually the most reasonable ones)

I think the best solution is to legalize any use for any reason, but leave a LOT of leeway for businesses, individuals, and employers to set any rules to prohibit as they see fit in their own private property and businesses.  As well as strict rules for those in public service.

If that fails, then I'd rather see the substance completely pharmacized and then legally allowed via prescription.  Take the casual eat/smoke aspect out and only have pills or nebulizer forms would get the weirdos out of the mix and let the patients that really need it have a clean path to relief.  It would also solve the need to have better control of true dosage.

Bill - 

I think the best solution is to legalize any use for any reason, but leave a LOT of leeway for businesses, individuals, and employers to set any rules to prohibit as they see fit in their own private property and businesses.  As well as strict rules for those in public service.

I think it needs to be treated with the same restrictions as alcohol use.  The difficulty that I see with that is that in the edible forms, it really can't be readily identified or distinguished from any other snack food.  But then too, liquor can be transferred from its original container or mixed and it loses it's obvious identity too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

even mild mannered while doped up, there a TON of self righteously obnoxious people when this political topic is broached.  I've seen and read some serious anger and hate over not being allowed to legally feed their addiction.  Tell a child they can't do something, they have a tantrum, that simple.

(what it's worth, I've rarely seen someone that has a medical justification get bent like that  - it's the recreational types that are trying to exploit the medical argument that seem to be angry and obnoxious.  And sometimes the relatives of those that have a legit medical need also seem to get spun up...

weird isn't it?  those have the best right to be outraged are usually the most reasonable ones)

If that fails, then I'd rather see the substance completely pharmacized and then legally allowed via prescription.  Take the casual eat/smoke aspect out and only have pills or nebulizer forms would get the weirdos out of the mix and let the patients that really need it have a clean path to relief.  It would also solve the need to have better control of true dosage.

With CO being legal for a year now the good has far outweighed the bad. Mentioned earlier since 2012 I've only seen weed on the course once and I never see it being used in open public. You would think it would be everywhere but it's not. Crime is down and it raised over 3,000,000 for schools. Legal marijuana is here to stay and people need to get past the stigma.

As for edibles not being identifiable I can't think of any reason not to leave it the original packaging. It's not just pretty paper they are labeled with dosage info. The dispensaries don't market that stuff like it's fun and games. They will ask questions before recommending an edible and the recreational limits on edibles are stricter than the plant limits.

Dave :-)

You're correct, of course. I guess I'd just say I'd rather be friends with a pothead than an alcoholic, if I had to choose.

Colin P.

You're correct, of course. I guess I'd just say I'd rather be friends with a pothead than an alcoholic, if I had to choose.

Neither would determine a friendship choice for me. I've met plenty of what could probably be considered functional alcoholics that are kind souls. The damage they inflict is entirely personal. Using substances doesn't have to lead to being a maniac. Lots of old folks out there on prescription drugs harder than you can buy on the street.

Dave :-)

Neither would determine a friendship choice for me. I've met plenty of what could probably be considered functional alcoholics that are kind souls. The damage they inflict is entirely personal. Using substances doesn't have to lead to being a maniac. Lots of old folks out there on prescription drugs harder than you can buy on the street.

True.

Colin P.

I've only skimmed the thread, so I might not have all the details but my two bits:

Nobody should ever see jail time for smoking a little pot if that's all they are doing. However, these guys sounded like they could have use a pop in the chops. Smoking in front of a grandpa and his gran-daughter and then being a-holes when asked to stop is just being world class douchebags. Total pricks. Whatever happened to having a little class?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

With CO being legal for a year now the good has far outweighed the bad. Mentioned earlier since 2012 I've only seen weed on the course once and I never see it being used in open public. You would think it would be everywhere but it's not. Crime is down and it raised over 3,000,000 for schools. Legal marijuana is here to stay and people need to get past the stigma.

I see two issues in CO.

1 - the car rental return area at the airport stinks horribly -

2 - it 'seems' (correct me if I'm wrong) that you guys have no control/standards over packaging and dosage in all the little shops

(disclaimer, I'm terribly biased, I hate the stuff and can't stand it being around me or my family, and my personal exposure to it has been biased as it was 99% idiots and mumblers - IMO, others should be able to do as they like as long as there is no 2nd hand annoyances, but that's pretty much unavoidable and many seem to rejoice in being obnoxious about it.  I'm consistent, I have the same position on cigarettes too, and analogous positions on alcohol too, FWIW)

Bill - 

It is just flat out stupid that pot is illegal. Treat it like alcohol (a far more dangerous and destructive substance) and regulate it's sale and use. The war on drugs in this country is a joke because of the inclusion of pot.

That all said, those guys were rude to light up with the kid around, but they didn't deserve to be confronted and cuffed by off duty cops.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!