IGNORED

What Percentile are You (Handicap Index)?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What Quartile Are You (your Handicap Index) In?

• Top Quartile (~7.8 index or better)
    • Third Quartile (~7.9 to ~12.4 index)
    • Second Quartile (~12.5 to ~18.2 index)
    • Bottom Quartile (~18.3 index or worse)

Looks like i am in the 83rd percentile range. Not bad, hoping to get better. 90th percentile here I come.

Come on, you gotta aim high! My goal is the hundred and first percentile!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm right on the apex of the curve. With summer in full swing here, I'd like to slide down the left side a bit.

Chris.:roll:

On the women's side I'm in the third quartile... barely.

But then most women I know who play relationally play in leagues and report their scores. Most men I know who play do not have a handicap. Even my neighbor with whom I've played and he shot a 73 when we played does not keep a handicap.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just goes to show how hard this game is, and how ba bad I] most golfers are! :~(

Jeez thanks David. I already felt bad enough having to check the very last box lol.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I'm at the bottom.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I am just hanging on in the second quartile and will probably fall into the third quartile at the start of the 2015 season (my first few rounds tend to be debacles).  I believe the graph is accurate for those that keep handicaps but from what I have seen getting paired up quite a bit, many golfers have problems getting out of the high 90's or low 100's.  I know some good golfers do not keep handicaps but believe there are many more casual golfers that play about 8 - 10 rounds/year and never break 100 that are not in the handicap system.  For serious golfers I suspect that the chart is fairly representative.

I would say the charts are not valid statistically since they only count golfers who report handicaps, and not all golfers. I would hazard to guess that the actual mean would be around 24 handicap if one were to include golfers who don't report scores.

Julia

Spoiler

That's lower (better handicaps) than I thought. It's been some years, but I thought the average was closer to 18.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I would say the charts are not valid statistically since they only count golfers who report handicaps, and not all golfers. I would hazard to guess that the actual mean would be around 24 handicap if one were to include golfers who don't report scores.

I agree. I was very surprised by this graph. I think the fact it only takes in account those with a legit handicap really skews the figures.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I play mostly munis. I would say the average guy there, if their score was accurately kept, would be 110+. I don't think that graph is accurate at all. I'm going to talk out my ass and say that 60% of golfers are 18+caps

Colin P.

I play mostly munis. I would say the average guy there, if their score was accurately kept, would be 110+. I don't think that graph is accurate at all. I'm going to talk out my ass and say that 60% of golfers are 18+caps

I forget, do you carry a HC or not?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

The USGA should simply just give it up and have a second registry called the "Mullicap". Think about it. How many golfers routinely take a Mulligan and enter the score? So let 'em enter it as a Mulli-score. Be honest about it. You took a Mulligan. We'll let you count it, but our system will add stroke and distance to one shot and that's your Mullicap, because we know that if you did it once, you did it again. Or should they call it the Vanicap? Hmmm.... they have the Baggercap covered with the R.

Julia

Spoiler

I forget, do you carry a HC or not?

Yes I do. It says "LOL" in the computer.... Lol no, I've never actually carried an official 'cap

Colin P.

• Administrator

I would say the charts are not valid statistically since they only count golfers who report handicaps, and not all golfers

Sure they are. There are about 5 million golfers with handicaps, and that's what the chart reports.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!