IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not only that, but the worst was, what, 16' away from the pin?  The "worst" of the 3 winners was 8" away.  Kinda refreshing, huh?

Regarding the par 5, I thought it was a bit humorous that Chad said that since Tyler was in trouble he wouldn't try to go for the green, while I was thinking "Or perhaps its the fact that you're still 35 yards further from the green than how far your good driver went?"

Very refreshing there were a lot of quality shots last night in the immunity challenge.  I wasn't as impressed with the elimination challenge though.

If I remember correctly, he hit a hybrid on his 2nd shot and was still 100 yards out.  I think it's amazing he can play that level of golf with 1 leg but distance wise he's shorter than I am which is really going to make it tough for him to advance his career in golf much further.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Or perhaps its the fact that you're still 35 yards further from the green than how far your good driver went?"

that was my thinking

regardless of being short, he had a putt for birdie anyway, pretty amazing when you think of it

the reel of Tyler's confessional quotes at the end was hilarious - especially  "you just gotta let it roll here, the editors can deal with it"  or something like that

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Regarding the par 5, I thought it was a bit humorous that Chad said that since Tyler was in trouble he wouldn't try to go for the green, while I was thinking "Or perhaps its the fact that you're still 35 yards further from the green than how far your good driver went?"

I'd like to think that he values being on a fairway more than distance so he probably doesn't give it his all on his drive.

It'd be interesting to see if he had to go for it in two if he'd have to do so on a 500+ yard hole.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

What's up with Robert? Is he a drag queen? He wears more makeup than Alan thicke.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

One problem with Big Break is they overplay the obvious and easy angles.  (excessively using only one or two people in interviews, finding an angle on a player and just playing on it over and over and over.....)

If the 'lesson' shows are McLesson shows, then Big Break is the McContestant (12 one-trick ponies) show

They'll find ways to put Chad out there and try to cash in on his handicap and service with viewers.  And nothing else.  And since he's the most sympathetic, the other 11 won't get developed until Chad gets eliminated.

They'll design challenges to get as much Chad-airtime as they can - and they'll have every screen shot contain or start on the prosthetic, and they'll play military music in the background, and they prompt him to interview about his service, instead of his golf.  too bad, his golf is pretty good.

They are a bit poor at finding more ways to get something for viewers out of all the contestants, or letting the contestant personalities show through to more than just the initial surface stuff that they exploited in the 'intro' episodes.

cynical viewpoint of the day....my apologies...I'd like to see a bit more mixup, especially when the crew is decent

I disagree..... chads been the focal point only because he's played in EVERY elimination challenge and set all 4 players home.    Had he won immunity with the opportunity to coast, he'd be a wallflower in the background. This is how it is every year, and this season is no different.   I was sad to see Tyler go home because he was hilarious.   Tyler deserved the attention he got because he was the most entertaining of the cast members.

Did anybody catch the 5 minute segment at the very end??  After the credits rolled!!   hahahahaha....had me in stitches!  It was a fluke that I caught it because I normally stop and delete the episode before the credits get that deep.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Did anybody catch the 5 minute segment at the very end??  After the credits rolled!!   hahahahaha....had me in stitches!  It was a fluke that I caught it because I normally stop and delete the episode before the credits get that deep.

That part was funny.

Like you, I am sad to see Tyler go.  The entertainment value was high with him.

Regards,

Mark

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Mark

Currently in the bag

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR S 10* --- Fairway: Cobra BioCell 3 and 5 Metal --- Hybrid: Nike VR 3 Hybrid
Irons: Ping i20 (4-5) , S56 (6-PW) --- Wedges: Ping Tour Gorge 52* & 56* SS --- Putter: Nike Method 004 --- Ball: Nike 20 Xi

Can't say I am going to miss Brandon. Something about him just rubbed me wrong. He might be a good guy but...
  • Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Brandon seemed a little abrasive in his interview sessions last night, and he showed a bit of temper after a shot he didn't like, too.  He didn't seem that most of the time, though.

In case you haven't watched, I'll just put the latest commentary in the spoiler below. Caught up on the past 2 weeks, and i'll miss Tyler. I loved his comment after Justin stuck his flop wall to 6".

Total

First Immunity

Later Immunity

Have Mulligan Left

Impressive Challenge

Terrible Challenge

Guaranteed Elimination Round

Not Picked for Elimination

Survived Elimination

Brandon

Chad

Clay

George

Justin

Kyle

Richy

Robert

Tommy

Tyler

Wesley

Zach

Tommy plays the "Bear Trap" in -2 during elimination of Brandon!? Wow. And he hit 3 bunkers on his first 2 holes. Brandon was always mentioning how far he hit his irons compared to others. Cracked me up.

Clay is playing pretty well, and has rarely been in any trouble. I don't think he intimidates anyone, but so far he has made first immunity 4 times, and the later immunity once. Only Richy hasn't even been in danger of being chosen for elimination.

Justin and Robert also strong.

Kyle, Tommy, and Chad are the three left who have been in danger constantly. Chad has an aura of "don't even bother taking me to elimination" though.

Good stuff.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

In case you haven't watched, I'll just put the latest commentary in the spoiler below. Caught up on the past 2 weeks, and i'll miss Tyler. I loved his comment after Justin stuck his flop wall to 6".

Total

First Immunity

Later Immunity

Have Mulligan Left

Impressive Challenge

Terrible Challenge

Guaranteed Elimination Round

Not Picked for Elimination

Survived Elimination

Brandon

Chad

Clay

George

Justin

Kyle

Richy

Robert

Tommy

Tyler

Wesley

Zach

Tommy plays the "Bear Trap" in -2 during elimination of Brandon!? Wow. And he hit 3 bunkers on his first 2 holes. Brandon was always mentioning how far he hit his irons compared to others. Cracked me up.

Clay is playing pretty well, and has rarely been in any trouble. I don't think he intimidates anyone, but so far he has made first immunity 4 times, and the later immunity once. Only Richy hasn't even been in danger of being chosen for elimination.

Justin and Robert also strong.

Kyle, Tommy, and Chad are the three left who have been in danger constantly. Chad has an aura of "don't even bother taking me to elimination" though.

Good stuff.

If I'm reading your graph correctly, Kyle's only in positive numbers because people picked Chad instead of him for elimination 3 times? Yikes. If I'm picking someone to face in elimination, it's definitely Kyle.

Tommy's elimination was super impressive last night. -2 on the bear trap, with 2 birdies on the par 3s and a double sand save on the par 4? Damn. Picking Brandon was a huge gamble, but Tommy just took down one of the better players on the show by 2 strokes. And it's not like Brandon played poorly in elimination - even on the bear trap is damn good, too (just compare it to the pros yesterday; different conditions, sure, but I'd imagine the pressure is worse for these guys).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Tommy's a sleeper. I am telling you hes a good player even though some of his shots are iffy.

I think after that performance at the end of the episode, he went nearly instantly from "iffy" to a "contender" that people will think twice about taking on. He may have even gained from that episode, even though he performed poorly enough to be guaranteed elimination. -2 will make others think twice. Could it work to his advantage to show that performance under pressure.

Four guys haven't been in elimination yet: Clay, Justin, Richy, Robert. Chad survived 3. Kyle and Tommy 1. From past seasons, it's not uncommon for someone who is on cruise control to just have that bad episode where they go down.

If I'm reading your graph correctly, Kyle's only in positive numbers because people picked Chad instead of him for elimination 3 times? Yikes. If I'm picking someone to face in elimination, it's definitely Kyle.

Tommy's elimination was super impressive last night. -2 on the bear trap, with 2 birdies on the par 3s and a double sand save on the par 4? Damn. Picking Brandon was a huge gamble, but Tommy just took down one of the better players on the show by 2 strokes. And it's not like Brandon played poorly in elimination - even on the bear trap is damn good, too (just compare it to the pros yesterday; different conditions, sure, but I'd imagine the pressure is worse for these guys).

I agree re: Brandon. He was actually one of those guys going along pretty well until Tommy picked him. (ok, so much for the spoiler protection of the results). Tommy doesn't seem to fear going against anyone, even though Tyler made some strange comment last episode that Tommy was acting scared until Tyler picked Chad for elimination.

And yes, re: Kyle's points. Of course, I change the numbering scheme every time I post it. But the same players seem to be bubbling to the top, no matter how much each column is worth. I think we need to give Tommy some serious "Impressive Challenge" points for that elimination challenge. I actually forgot to give him credit for that (other than the "Survived Elimination" column- maybe I'll give him credit for 2 impressive challenges as the other competitors think about how he well he played on that stretch of holes.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

During the immunity challenge why were they all hitting driver? If the goal was to be as close to the white line as possible and assuming that white line started at 180 - 200 yards out I think I'd hit the shortest club and hopefully an iron. I think I have more confidence working a 5 iron than driver. I didn't see any really good driver fades from these guys.

• Administrator

During the immunity challenge why were they all hitting driver? If the goal was to be as close to the white line as possible and assuming that white line started at 180 - 200 yards out I think I'd hit the shortest club and hopefully an iron. I think I have more confidence working a 5 iron than driver. I didn't see any really good driver fades from these guys.

They had to hit it a minimum of 225 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good point.  They said 225 was the minimum required distance, and there were no extra points for being farther than that.  Not sure about 5 iron, but certainly all of them except Chad could cover that distance easily with their hybrid or 3 iron.

Good point.  They said 225 was the minimum required distance, and there were no extra points for being farther than that.  Not sure about 5 iron, but certainly all of them except Chad could cover that distance easily with their hybrid or 3 iron.

Yah, I was a bit mystified by that as well. Robert certainly didn't need driver. He might have been able to use a hybrid if he didn't have an iron that comfortably reached and didn't want to use his 3W.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I wonder if I'm the only one who would have been reckless and tried to hit a stock shot JUUUUUST to the side of the fade/draw wall. Maybe that's against the rules - your ball has to actually fade or draw or something. But these guys were starting their balls at the edge of the fairway and trying to shape it back to the center. Seems much easier to me to just try to hit a little fade or draw instead of the 20 yard fade/draw. Or just play your stock shot, which is probably a 2-5 yard fade or draw. It seems like they were overcomplicating things a bit.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I wonder if I'm the only one who would have been reckless and tried to hit a stock shot JUUUUUST to the side of the fade/draw wall. Maybe that's against the rules - your ball has to actually fade or draw or something. But these guys were starting their balls at the edge of the fairway and trying to shape it back to the center. Seems much easier to me to just try to hit a little fade or draw instead of the 20 yard fade/draw. Or just play your stock shot, which is probably a 2-5 yard fade or draw. It seems like they were overcomplicating things a bit.

I don't think there was any rule about how much shape the shot had, I just think they were afraid to hit the wall.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!